BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Network (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   4.0 beta testers: Problems using tcp/ip or HTTP applications (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=1041)

headtailgrep 10-06-2004 11:22 AM

4.0 beta testers: Problems using tcp/ip or HTTP applications

I'm beta testing 4.0 and so far tcp/ip socket applications, and those that are capable of HTTP (such as Webmessenger) fail to work.

I get "could not establish connection" in webmessenger, and for tcp/ip or HTTP apps such as wlirc,

"could not open tunnel - failed' in socket
"could not connect java.io.IOException: could not open tunnel - failed" in HTTP mode.

I have the BIBS, and IPPP for BIBS service books, and have repeatedly tried to send them to my device, including deleting old and re-registering with the network to no avail.

Anyone have any advice? I'm using the Rogers network, which is apparently capable of tcp/ip socket apps working on 4.0.

Mark Rejhon 10-08-2004 01:04 PM

Have you configured the APN for Options -> TCP?

headtailgrep 10-11-2004 10:15 PM

No. I know the APN's for private IP and public IP on rogers, neither make a difference..

so there is no APN configured on my device in options -> TCP.

eradis 10-12-2004 08:24 AM

I was unable to get sockets working on Rogers. My guess is that they are not allowing traffic through the port I am using.

headtailgrep 10-12-2004 09:21 AM

Well, i'm trying webmessenger/wlirc/virca..

webmessenger can choose between HTTP sockets or direct tcp/ip.. neither work..

you'd think that the web browsing service book (port 80) would allow HTTP sockets even, but neither work..

WLIRC has the same config settings, neither programs work

Mark Rejhon 10-13-2004 02:22 PM

I got in contact with a Rogers expert and found some instructions that should fix Rogers MDS problems:

1. Synchronize
2. Backup email
3. WIPE your handheld (i.e. javaloader wipe switch)
4. Reinstall BlackBerryOS 4.x (try to use the latest version you have)
5. Reinstall your software

headtailgrep 10-14-2004 10:12 AM

I'll give that a try. =) That's a last resort but i figured as much that it must be some serious software error..

I will report back as soon as it is done, thanks.

headtailgrep 10-14-2004 11:12 AM

No dice..

i'm running .126,

wiped the device, reinstalled OS, application software, then on a stock device ensured i had the correct freshly sent service books..

webmessenger and mutelnet gave same errors.

Now i'm loading back my databases, and will just trod along without public MDS, waiting for Rogers to offically release 4.0 so I can get some support on it. Every time i spoke to level 2 support on this issue they basically wouldn't do much for me, so i'll just be patient yet again.

I am surely hoping that this will work someday, i'm banking on public MDS for my long term support of the Blackberry platform.. without it, i don't see how i'll stay with it when i can get what i want on other platforms..

headtailgrep 10-25-2004 01:59 PM

This has been resolved. It was not a device problem, network problem. My device needed it's profile re-set on the Rogers network..