BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   How do I know that I'm using wifi? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=164844)

4mynikka 12-12-2008 12:51 PM

How do I know that I'm using wifi?

When I first got the BOLD, I had an icon on the right corner of the screen showing WIFI and that would stay on if I'm using wifi, if I used EDGE or 3G it would show the EDGE or 3G but now it's just the full browsing screen, no signal connection symbol. Sometimes my wifi drops and I'm not sure if I'm using data or not.

Is there any setting that would show what connection I'm using when I'm browsing?

Also, do I have to keep switching between HOTSPOT browser and INTERNET browser just to browse with wifi? I'm coming from S60 and WINMO and with both those devices it will automatically use wifi for browsing once it's turned on.

Any help is appreciated.

mckinneycm 12-12-2008 01:09 PM

When you're using the BB Browser, it will show you in the upper right corner what it is using for connection. Mine shows WiFi right now. If I turn my WiFi off and then go back to the browser, it shows 3G.

4mynikka 12-12-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckinneycm (Post 1206784)
When you're using the BB Browser, it will show you in the upper right corner what it is using for connection. Mine shows WiFi right now. If I turn my WiFi off and then go back to the browser, it shows 3G.

I know, mine use to do that it doesn't do it anymore.... It just doesn't make any sense. I'm using the official .190 firmware BTW. Any thoughts?

Jelly Bean 12-12-2008 02:05 PM

mine shows wifi and 3G, (wifi is on), will it show when one is in use while the other is not?

Thatzmister2u 12-12-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4mynikka (Post 1206868)
I know, mine use to do that it doesn't do it anymore.... It just doesn't make any sense. I'm using the official .190 firmware BTW. Any thoughts?

It's your view (full screen) open the browser and hit "U" and you will see the status line.

E-

4mynikka 12-12-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u (Post 1206901)
It's your view (full screen) open the browser and hit "U" and you will see the status line.

E-

Thanks that worked. I feel like such a Noob, sorry only had the bold very briefly before and this time I think I'm sticking to it, well unless the Javelin gets 3G or something.

Jelly Bean 12-12-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u (Post 1206901)

E-

thank you!(y)

redevil 12-13-2008 06:31 PM

so how can I make sure that the browser only uses wi-fi and not the 3G or Edge network when I'm browsing?

Is there a way to set the Bold so that wi-fi is the only one being used without having to turn off my wireless setting?

aalok 12-13-2008 06:56 PM

i had the same problem too... when i connect to the wifi, (if you open manage connections and it shows a check next to your wifi network), itll still show 3g in the top right of the browser... if i close the browser (going through the menu and clicking close) and reopen it, it will then say wifi... im not sure if its just my phone that does that or if its all bolds, but i do have the .190 os....

4mynikka 12-13-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redevil (Post 1208201)
so how can I make sure that the browser only uses wi-fi and not the 3G or Edge network when I'm browsing?

Is there a way to set the Bold so that wi-fi is the only one being used without having to turn off my wireless setting?

Switch your brower type to HOTSPOT. It won't browse unless connected to wifi.