BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Caller ID always unknown (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=26870)

Slippery 02-21-2006 11:15 AM

Caller ID always unknown

Hey all-

I have a GroupWise BES with 17 users currently activated. Anytime one of my users gets a call the number always displays 'unknown number', this even happens if the caller is in the blackberry user's address book.

This has only just started happening, I'd say, about a month ago. Is this a carrier issue, or could I have reset something on the BES inadvertantly?

Any help is humbley recieved.

Slip

CanuckBB 02-21-2006 11:46 AM

I'd check with the carrier to make sure that the call display feature has not been removed from the account.

Kablooey 02-22-2006 08:32 AM

If your BlackBerry is 4.0.0.XX version, you may want to try to "resort" the address book by going to Address book>Options and change the sort by option to last name or first name, dependant on the current setting. Then when it has finished sorting the name try a call and see if it works. You also may want to check if the user has content protection enabled on their device...i have found this is the root of the bug with the early 4.0 handheld software caller ID issues.

BlackBerryLinks 02-24-2006 05:20 PM

Support - Caller name is not displayed
Last Updated: 23 February 2006
Article Number: KB-04903
Summary

This article applies to the following:

* BlackBerry® wireless device
* BlackBerry Device Software 4.0 and 4.1

Problem

You receive a phone call on your BlackBerry device, which is locked. The phone number is displayed, but not the name of the caller. The caller’s name and phone number are stored in the Address Book on your device.

However, if the device is unlocked and the same contact calls your device, both the name and phone number are displayed.
Cause

You have Content Protection enabled on the device.
Resolution

Disable Content Protection.

1. Follow the directions according to which device or device software you are using.
* If you are using a BlackBerry 7100 Series device, from the Home Screen go to Tools > Settings > Security > Content Protection.
* If you are using a BlackBerry Wireless Handheld™ running 4.0 device software, from the Home Screen go to Options > Security > Content Protection.
* If you are using a handheld running 4.1 device software, from the Home Screen go to Options > Security > General Settings > Content Protection.
2. Scroll down to Content Protection, and click the trackwheel. Select Change Option.
3. Select Disabled. Click the trackwheel again and select Save to save your changes.

Kablooey 02-27-2006 12:57 PM

The problem that I am referring to is more of a bug rather that a feature. The feature you are referring to is that the user must enter his password to have access to the content protected information. What I am referring to is a bug that I was present in the 4.0.0.xx handheld software that would not display the caller information if the address database had "bad" data in it. A re-sort of the address book would correct the problem and the caller id would work...but usually this was only temporary...eventually, the issue would return. This issue was primarily noted on the 7510 and the 7520 handhelds.

dmccann 08-22-2006 10:08 AM

I have no idea how it got enabled on mine, but I am so glad I am able to turn it off. You can't make calls from your address book with the content protection enabled and the handheld locked. You actually have to know peoples numbers.

d_fisher 08-22-2006 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmccann
You actually have to know peoples numbers.

That causes me a lot of trouble. I have never remembered phone numbers very well myself. As an example, my wife has had the same cell phone number for over two years now. I have to look it up probably 9 out of every 10 times I call her.

jetspeedz 09-14-2006 09:21 AM

i have the same problem with my bb 7290 with cingular and i have just given up and its horrible and nothing has been done to fix it.. i called cingular to make sure call block was not on and i made sure my phone number is not set to private and stil everything incoming is Unknons Number, not even the phone number shows up