BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   I emailed Verizon about their crippled GPS (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=99565)

dex 10-11-2007 02:59 PM

I emailed Verizon about their crippled GPS

We all know Verizon crippled the GPS on their Blackberrys but I decided to askt hem about it anywhere and figured I'd post the conversation here to share.

Primary Subject:
Internet and Data products
Secondary Subject:
Blackberry/PDA Smartphone
Message Body:
I'm searching for a Blackberry provider and trying to figure out which network will suit me best. I was pretty set on going with Verizon, however I was told that Verizon has disabled the Global Positioning Service (GPS) or Assisted Global Positioning Service (AGPS) on their network. Is this true? I'm roaming on the Verizon network right now with my Telus Blackberry and can't get any of the applications to work. And before I sign on as a Verizon customer, I need to be ensured these services will be available, both on the network and on the devices themselves.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are happy to assist you with your inquiry regarding the GPS functionality on the Blackberry device.

We appreciate your interest in the Blackberry device and services provided by Verizon Wireless. Verizon Wireless is committed to providing the very latest in products and services. Verizon Wireless does not provide support for the BlackBerry Maps application or 3rd party software that would be required to make full use of the Blackberry's GPS capabilities. As a result, the Blackberry's GPS functionality has not been enabled so that we are able to provide a standardized level of functionality and support for our advanced devices. We are unable to state if or when additional GPS functionality will be enabled on the Verizon Wireless Blackberries. We understand and apologize for any frustration regarding this but we are only able to provide information regarding products or services that we are currently offering. We are unable to disclose any unconfirmed information because it would be subject to change and could raise expectations that may not be met.

If you would like to receive e-mail updates regarding new products and services, please click on "Sign up for email updates" from the "Support" tab located at the top of our Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless homepage. .

Sincerely,

Olukemi
Verizon Wireless
Data Technical Support

Dawg 10-11-2007 03:27 PM

OMG pleaze make if freakin stop dont we have 20000000000 of these posts already:x

BB Junkie 10-11-2007 03:58 PM

not surprised to me. Verizon crippled all of their phones and pdas. that hurts the most about verizon service.

Dawg 10-11-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB Junkie (Post 700788)
not surprised to me. Verizon crippled all of their phones and pdas. that hurts the most about verizon service.

not to me either but this post is stupid there are 200000000 many more he could have read and got the exact same email response. its called not searching

John Clark 10-11-2007 06:18 PM

Down boy...down! Yes, it's old news but lets not start a flame war over it.

aiharkness 10-11-2007 06:27 PM

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Reading those emails is like the joke that's funny no matter how many times you hear it. What a joke. Still makes me laugh.

zero7404 10-11-2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 700996)
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Reading those emails is like the joke that's funny no matter how many times you hear it. What a joke. Still makes me laugh.

yeah, you can tell every time that all email responses from really large companies come in the "canned notes" form. also, their response doesn't really surprise me, they are crippling the GPS for a reason, and the reason is to make more money. that's fine, since they are offering the device. problem is when they try to market it as something different to suck in unsuspecting people who wouldn't think to ask this question before they sign.

Dawg 10-11-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 700991)
Down boy...down! Yes, it's old news but lets not start a flame war over it.

I didnt flame him at all I could have and wanted to said much much worse.

LunkHead 10-11-2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 700721)
OMG pleaze make if freakin stop dont we have 20000000000 of these posts already:x

20000000000 + 1 now.... :)

Class action law suit thead is probably on the way..... LOL

Dawg 10-11-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunkHead (Post 701012)
20000000000 + 1 now.... :)

Class action law suit thead is probably on the way..... LOL

yep

hnsimpson 10-12-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 701005)
I didnt flame him at all I could have and wanted to said much much worse.

I was going to comment on your restraint....

These Verizon GPS Disabled OHHHHNOOOOOOOEEESSSS!!! threads are like skid marks in my underwear-I see fresh ones every night.

-simpson

genoist 10-12-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB Junkie (Post 700788)

Other than GPS, there's really nothing crippled on VZW PDA's.

jeffabcc 10-15-2007 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genoist (Post 702523)
Other than GPS, there's really nothing crippled on VZW PDA's.

Other than Bluetooth file transfer and MMS.

correia 01-13-2008 12:58 PM

Dex I am still hoping that someone can come up with a fix for us

Redflea 01-14-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffabcc (Post 704765)
Other than Bluetooth file transfer and MMS.

Full OBEX Bluetooth is "crippled" on all BBs from what I've been told here, not a VZW issue.

And MMS works fine on VZW...