BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Five best add-on apps for BB Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=201726)

dimi 08-21-2009 12:47 PM

Five best add-on apps for BB Tour

I just switched to BB Tour from 14 years of various Palm devices and I LOVE the tour. The thing I most miss are the Palm apps that I had found over the years. For example there is one called TryDA (used to be called DA for Directory assistance) that would look up names and addresses so I didn't have to call 411. I searched the forums and did not find a post that listed everyone's favorite apps (may have missed it). I would love to have some BB veterans list the top 5 must have add on apps for the Tour so I can go get them (also say where they are unless it is obvious). THanks

joeproblems 08-21-2009 01:09 PM

crackberry link

Crackberry got you you covered:

Must-Have Free and Paid BlackBerry Apps for the New BlackBerry Tour Owner

clubchucker 08-21-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimi (Post 1455781)
I just switched to BB Tour from 14 years of various Palm devices and I LOVE the tour. The thing I most miss are the Palm apps that I had found over the years. For example there is one called TryDA (used to be called DA for Directory assistance) that would look up names and addresses so I didn't have to call 411. I searched the forums and did not find a post that listed everyone's favorite apps (may have missed it). I would love to have some BB veterans list the top 5 must have add on apps for the Tour so I can go get them (also say where they are unless it is obvious). THanks

An application similar to the one you mentioned (and very popular with Blackberry users) is Poynt. Not only will it look up the addresses, you can call from that screen, map directions (if your GPS is turned on) etc.

djdonnyk 08-21-2009 03:22 PM

Also berry 411 at thebogles.com

dimi 08-21-2009 03:45 PM

Best Add on apps for BB Tour

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeproblems (Post 1455792)

Thanks Joe. I counted the number of times each app was mentioned at that site and have listed the ones that got more than one mention in order of how many times they were mentioned. Not very scientific but it will help me to know where to look. Poynt was one of them btw. Anything important missing?

Mentioned 8-9 times:
Facebook*- Social Networking - Free
Google Maps*- Maps - Free
Berry Weather*- Weather App - $9.95
QuickLaunch*- Application launcher - $4.99
UberTwitter*- Twitter Client - Free*

5 or 6 mentions
CrackBerry Viigo*- RSS news reader - Free
Pandora*- Internet Radio - Free
Berry Buzz*- Custom LED alerts - $5.95

3-4 comments:
Blackberry App World
Bolt Browser*- 3rd Party Web Browser – Free
Poynt*- Local search - Free
Vlingo*- Speech recognition - Free or $17.99
BBSmart Alarms Pro
Berry Scanner*- Police Scanner - Free
SmrtGuard*- OTA Data Backup - $3.99/month
SocialScope*(or any Twitter client) - Free
WeatherBug*- Weather App - Free

Only two comments:
AIM
BB App World
BBFileScout*- File manager - Free
Beejive IM
Capture It (OTA)*-On Device Screen Capture - Free
Gmail App*- Gmail Mobile App - Free
Google Mobile App
Google Sync*- Sync Google Calendar – Free
GoogleTalk*- IM Client - Free
Pageonce Personal Assistant (free)
Podtrapper*- Podcast manager - $9.99
Redsox.com Shortcut*- MLB Shortcut - Free
Scoremobile*- Sports Scores - Free
Shazam*- Identify Music Tracks - Free (paid upgrade for more features)
SlingPlayer*- Control home TV & DVR - requires SlingBox
Texas Hold'em King 3*- Poker Game - $6.99
WorldMate*- Travel app - Free or $99.95/year

rambo47 08-21-2009 03:53 PM

Here's mine:

BBWeather (free)
Viigo (free)
IdeaMatrix by REXwireless (paid, expensive)
ToDoMatrix by REXwireless (paid, expensive)
Wall Street Journal Reader (free)

Honorable Mention:
Bloomberg (free)
Documents To Go (basic=free, premium=paid)

Most, if not all, are available through App World on your device. That's the easiest way to get them, and App World will let you know when an updated version of anything you installed has been released.

Sydman 08-21-2009 07:08 PM

As you can see from my sig. I have poynt for sure, very nice app for finding people, businesses, and then getting directions to those places from your gps location. Also I have quickpull setup to run every night at 6am so my blackberry is fresh for the day. And the mutli alarm is a must for me since one just won't keep me out of bed. It was 4.99 but well worth it. I just downloaded weatherbug for free, seems to work ok. And docs2go is a must, wish the full version was free so I could read pdfs that I save to my phone.

sbbytor 08-21-2009 07:15 PM

Poynt
ScoreMobile
QuickLaunch
Tehtherberry
Netflix Que Manager
Shazam
Quickpull
Yahoo Messenger

Poynt IMO is the single best app ever made for anything. I have never used an app as much as I use this one.

Sydman 08-21-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbbytor (Post 1456001)
Poynt IMO is the single best app ever made for anything. I have never used an app as much as I use this one.

For sure it is put together really nice. User friendly, nice looking, and most importantly it works.

daphne 08-21-2009 09:53 PM

I think it's very subjective as to what the 5 must have BB apps are. I have no use for some of the apps mentioned above, and I'm sure others have no use for some of my 5 must have apps.

1. PocketDay Pro, has homescreen email, calls, sms, calendar, tasks, weather, stocks, RSS feeds, world clocks, Google, Twitter and system info including PIN, battery, os version, file free, and signal strength. It's highly customizable also. Well worth the price, and it encompases what some people have 4 or 5 different apps for. (no I don't work for them, just love the app)

2. Google Maps, free

3. VZNavigator, downloadable OTA if you are a vzw customer. Well worth the monthly charge for me.

4. BBSmart AlarmsPro -- multiple alarms -- not quite up to speed for the Tour yet, but it kinda works. Update is coming.

5. BBSmart Shortcuts, to be upgraded for the Tour, but mostly works now.

Other fun apps, but not 100% necessary, Ubertwitter, if you are into Twitter; Pandora internet radio, Slacker Radio. I use both.

dimi 08-21-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne (Post 1456062)
I think it's very subjective as to what the 5 must have BB apps are. I have no use for some of the apps mentioned above, and I'm sure others have no use for some of my 5 must have apps.

Daphne: I agree that many of the apps were of no interest to me but some were. Thats why I like getting the top 5 from lots of different people. I have already found some I like.

D

greeneink 08-21-2009 11:46 PM

Wirelessly posted

My top five in no particular order are:
1. Smart alarms pro
2. Beyond160
3. Superpages
4. Berryweather
5. 1 touch flashlight
6. I charge cool
7. Quickpull
8. Fwd, reply, edit
I guess it's like potato chips, it's hard to stop at 5 ;)

MetanoiaProject 08-24-2009 09:44 AM

I am biased on a couple of these, but here's my list of some great apps to start out with.

1. IntelliLaunch - Literally can't live without.
2. Pandora
3. BlackBerry App World
4. QuickPull (lite or Pro)
5. Google Maps
6. BeejiveIM
7. bluCTRL
8. FML (can be vulgar, but somewhat of a guilty pleasure)

-steelthorn.com

MonkeyGrass 08-24-2009 01:44 PM

Ok so how are you guys getting Poynt to load on your Tour? When I go to the OTA download page, it tells me that my device is not recognized and there's no option to manually download for the Tour.

What's the workaround?

dimi 08-24-2009 01:49 PM

i used BB app world and had no issues. I am on sprint if that matters and my tour is one week old so it has the latest software

netahole 08-24-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass (Post 1457630)
Ok so how are you guys getting Poynt to load on your Tour? When I go to the OTA download page, it tells me that my device is not recognized and there's no option to manually download for the Tour.

What's the workaround?

Goto the website from a PC then you can email yourself a direct link to the download

MonkeyGrass 08-24-2009 02:19 PM

Cool - I gave in and installed BB App World. Not a bad little app! I tend to d/l what I need and not clutter up my PC or 'berry with "Auto-updating" type applications, but I think this one is worth keeping on the Tour.

I just snagged Poynt, WeatherBug, and Pandora. Nice!

mriff 08-25-2009 07:50 PM

Has anyone been able to load Live Search? It downloaded ok, but when I try to accept on the Terms of Use page, it pops up a menu that takes me to More Information. Any help would be appreciated as this is probably user error.

daphne 08-25-2009 10:30 PM

I think I read someone here said Live Search doesn't work with the Tour. You could try a forum search and see if the thread comes up. Have you tried Poynt? It's a great app and they just released a new version with restaurants, the ability to make reservations and restaurant reviews.

mriff 08-26-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne (Post 1458872)
I think I read someone here said Live Search doesn't work with the Tour. You could try a forum search and see if the thread comes up. Have you tried Poynt? It's a great app and they just released a new version with restaurants, the ability to make reservations and restaurant reviews.

Thanks daphne. I did a search and it brought me back to this thread. :smile:

I downloaded Poynt. I'll give it a shot. I wish it had more subcategories under businesses like Live Search does. The subcategories makes searching much easier and quicker. Or am I doing something wrong (which is entirely possible).