BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Storm 2 vs Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=190643)

Mattywalnuts 05-19-2009 12:29 PM

Storm 2 vs Tour

Storm 2 could drop on Verizon sooner than expected : Boy Genius Report

Apparently, the Storm 2 (with wifi) will be out within the next 2-6 weeks, prior to the Tour release July 13th. This sort of throws a wrench in my decision to upgrade to the Tour. The Storm 2 should have all of the kinks worked out (hopefully), including a true touch screen. Sorry to all of those that purchased the first Storm and are unhappy.

What are your thoughts?

Teksu 05-19-2009 12:51 PM

Wirelessly posted (BB 8130)

I'm going to check out the storm2 instore as soon as I can, but as of now I intend to wait for the tour

ffejie 05-19-2009 01:50 PM

I'll be waiting for the Tour as well. If I wanted a touch screen device, I would probably get the iPhone. I'll still play with the Storm 2 in store and check the reviews, but unless people are blown away, I won't be going for it.

TheBigNewt 05-19-2009 05:00 PM

I don't think the Tour has WiFi which is a real benefit for browsing speed compared to the Vzn network. Now having had WiFi on my 8900 I don't think I'd go back. But to think that the Storm2 will be night and day better than Storm1 is taking a real leap of faith. I'll beleive it when i see it.

skeevecr 05-20-2009 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattywalnuts (Post 1387020)
What are your thoughts?

There's a few possible explanations that make most sense:

BGR is on something,
he is trolling with made up stuff to try and get somebody to comment,
he is being trolled by somebody to make him look more stupid than usual,
or its simply a misunderstanding and this is simply storm training for new staff ready for a new release of software.

junior1790 05-20-2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeevecr (Post 1387536)

BGR is on something, more than likely not
he is trolling with made up stuff to try and get somebody to comment,definitely not
he is being trolled by somebody to make him look more stupid than usual,wow
or its simply a misunderstanding and this is simply storm training for new staff ready for a new release of software.

well done here with such an informative post!

Mattywalnuts 05-20-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeevecr (Post 1387536)

BGR is on something,
he is trolling with made up stuff to try and get somebody to comment,
he is being trolled by somebody to make him look more stupid than usual,

ummm, being trolled by somebody to make him look more stupid than usual?

this is a forum about blackberry devices correct? so god forbid someone starts a thread about....wait for it....a new rumored blackberry.

he being me, does not work for BGR, Verizon, RIM, or any other company of the sorts.

skeevecr 05-20-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattywalnuts (Post 1387695)
ummm, being trolled by somebody to make him look more stupid than usual?

BGR being trolled not you i.e. rim have finally decided to give up on plugging their leaks and are just going to try and drown the valid leaks with untrue stuff.

skeevecr 05-20-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junior1790 (Post 1387599)
well done here with such an informative post!

My suggestions were more plausible than the following scenario that verizon want to launch two premium-priced blackberries at the same time and that rim have actually managed to keep a device secret for the whole of its development period because after all, its not like they can simply slap in wifi and any other changes and chuck out a whole new device as much as some of the armchair engineers on messageboards may seem to think.

Teksu 05-20-2009 03:52 PM

what was the topic of this thread again?

alb123 05-21-2009 01:09 AM

I guess it all comes down to whether or not you want a touch screen device. Until the devices are actually released, we won't know for sure, but according to the rumors out there now - the Tour seems like its going to be about 95% Storm1 guts with a physical keyboard and possibly shipping with OS 5.0... Is there going to be new hardware under the hood of the Storm2? ::shrugs:: If there is not - then, again, its just a matter of Touchscreen versus Physical Keyboard. Personally, I'll take the physical keyboard any day.

ALB

Donbp 05-22-2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffejie (Post 1387091)
I'll be waiting for the Tour as well. If I wanted a touch screen device, I would probably get the iPhone. I'll still play with the Storm 2 in store and check the reviews, but unless people are blown away, I won't be going for it.

If you wanted a touch screen AND a crappy network you mean, right?

SteveO86 05-22-2009 07:34 AM

Honestly, do you like touchscreens or no?

VZW gives you 30 days to bring the device back, so I would try it out and if you like it then stay with it if not then give it back and try the other device.

I can't see VZW releasing the Storm 2 that fast.. and with Wifi, sounds too good to be true, but I could be wrong.. If it comes with Wifi I may have to give it another look at :)

(also the picture in that article is a Storm 1, look at the keys they are not part of the screen)

skeevecr 05-22-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveO86 (Post 1389170)
Honestly, do you like touchscreens or no?

VZW gives you 30 days to bring the device back, so I would try it out and if you like it then stay with it if not then give it back and try the other device.

I can't see VZW releasing the Storm 2 that fast.. and with Wifi, sounds too good to be true, but I could be wrong.. If it comes with Wifi I may have to give it another look at :)

Indeed, with them having the 9630 to release soon, not to mention 5.0 on existing hardware, you have to assume that the earliest you might see a storm 2 would be at the start of november in time for holiday purchases, but if sales of other devices are strong enough then even if it was ready by then you might not see it till early 2010 since they would be mindful of criticism if they rushed a new model out now.

cakvalasc 05-22-2009 11:23 AM

Anyone heard rumors the storm 2 going to sprint?

SteveO86 05-22-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakvalasc (Post 1389393)
Anyone heard rumors the storm 2 going to sprint?

Not yet. I don't know if VZW has exclusivity on the Storm like it did with the first one... HHHmmm

cakvalasc 05-25-2009 01:42 PM

Thanks Steve,

Now Ive heard it from three Sprint Reps that they are getting a new blackberry in the third quarter, these people need to stop teasing! lol

SteveO86 05-26-2009 08:52 PM

It was the Tour/Niagara was rumored to be released in Q3 for Sprint..

Unless it's been changed to be the Storm 1/2... but I haven't even heard rumors of that yet.

ScottRPriester 06-02-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattywalnuts (Post 1387020)
Storm 2 could drop on Verizon sooner than expected : Boy Genius Report

Apparently, the Storm 2 (with wifi) will be out within the next 2-6 weeks, prior to the Tour release July 13th. This sort of throws a wrench in my decision to upgrade to the Tour. The Storm 2 should have all of the kinks worked out (hopefully), including a true touch screen. Sorry to all of those that purchased the first Storm and are unhappy.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are, I'm really tired of all of this nonsense. No word of any "Storm 2" or "Tour" for VZW anywhere in the next month or so.

usblues1965 06-02-2009 03:29 PM

Anyone seen this?

Verizon Wireless to carry Palm Pre, Storm 2 "in about six months"