BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rants and Raves Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   85xx Entry Level device? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=212905)

SteveO86 12-05-2009 10:02 PM

85xx Entry Level device?

Can someone tell me why?

Did we consider the 83xx devices entry level??

Currently the on the CDMA market the 8530 is running OS 5.0 (Tour is at 4.7), Track pad (Tour still has the Track ball), and it has Wi-Fi (Tour does not).

Now when the Tour2 comes it will be superior but for now how/why do people consider it entry level?

NJBlackBerry 12-05-2009 10:05 PM

Low res camera.
No GPS.

"Lower" than the 8900 an 9700 series. 9600 also. I don't speak Verizon (but there's a map for that) :-)

southwestcomm 12-06-2009 12:28 AM

No GPS? The VZ model has GPS.

SteveO86 12-06-2009 12:55 AM

It does have GPS.

But yes the camera and screen resolution is a downer.

NJBlackBerry 12-06-2009 07:05 AM

There is no GPS on the 8520 (GSM version).

dc/dc 12-06-2009 09:40 AM

It is also important to realize that as technology improves, what is considered "entry level" will undoubtedly improve.

Also, in the case of the 85xx, the screen resolution is considerably less than that of the 9xxx devices.

LunkHead 12-06-2009 11:47 AM

I think it also has to do with the pricing... Not to mention the screen resolution and the lack of flash for the camera....

I do not consider it an entry level device.. I personally hate the Tour so for me it blows the Tour out of the water...

Kris

Noodle22 12-06-2009 02:45 PM

It was my first smartphone, I hear a lot of customer complaints about trackball issues, and I didn't want to deal with that. The 9700 was too expensive for me, and the differences between the Bold and the 8520 didn't matter to me for what I needed the device for.

I chose the 8520 for the trackpad, and the fact that it has the functionality I need at this time. When I'm ready for my upgrade two years from now, maybe I'll go for the blackberry with all the bells and whistles, but this is all I need now :)

That's why I consider it an mid entry level device. It's nice for RIM to make a device that's midlevel and affordable for consumers with some of the newer features, ie the trackpad.

LunkHead 12-06-2009 04:02 PM

Maybe I am just nutz but I have never understood where or why the Tour gets called a "power" device... I have one sitting in my closet and it anything but power... Unless they are referring to how long it takes to power on... Or how long it takes to power an application...

I got so tired of how unbelievably slow it was at doing any and everything it went back into the box rather quickly... Not only that but I really dislike the keyboard on it...

I ran a test just a few minutes ago with the Curve 2 and the Tour...

Bootup time:

Curve 2 = 2.38
Tour = 9.43

Opening Pandora Application (time for 1st song to start playing):

Curve 2 = 19 seconds
Tour = 47 seconds

So I guess I am clueless as to why the Tour is described as a power device....

:shrug:

Kris

SteveO86 12-09-2009 07:04 PM

I can see why the Tour would be considered a Power device, all the new hardware with EVDO RevA, hardware wise it is superior.

But If I was given was a choice between the Tour or Curve2 it would be pretty tough, especially since wifi is important to me.

zerog46 12-09-2009 07:12 PM

I just picked up a Curve 2 and I really like it. It's fast, and light. Yes the screen is a bit less than the Tour but other than that it's great. I really don't care about the camera because I have a real one.

daphne 12-09-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunkHead (Post 1521853)

I ran a test just a few minutes ago with the Curve 2 and the Tour...

Bootup time:

Curve 2 = 2.38
Tour = 9.4
Kris

The boot time for the Tour is a lot less after the OS upgrade. I haven' timed it, but it's close to what my 8330 was.

LunkHead 12-10-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerog46 (Post 1524379)
I just picked up a Curve 2 and I really like it. It's fast, and light. Yes the screen is a bit less than the Tour but other than that it's great. I really don't care about the camera because I have a real one.

It's pretty sweet little device huh? (y)

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne (Post 1524414)
The boot time for the Tour is a lot less after the OS upgrade. I haven' timed it, but it's close to what my 8330 was.

Really? That's awesome news.. (y)

TeritaM 12-10-2009 03:59 PM

I went into the store and tried one out today. I wish it had gps on it (played with the AT&T version) but other than that-it was great. didn't look or feel entry level to me.

zerog46 12-10-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunkHead (Post 1525006)
It's pretty sweet little device huh? (y)

Really? That's awesome news.. (y)

Been using it for two days now and love it. It's a great BB, lite and fast especially with WIFI, never used it before on a BB.

Noodle22 12-10-2009 11:41 PM

For me personally, it was a great entry level device :)

I've grown to love my baby. I must say I love the battery life as well! But I guess that can be said for most bb's. The edge is fast, I don't see a need for 3 g, and it doesn't slow down or lag, but I do a battery pull once a week or so because I heard it was good for it.

*sigh* :)

SteveO86 12-13-2009 10:16 AM

But why entry level?

But I do suppose it depends on the person, Wi-Fi is important to me because I get no signal in my office.

I'd see the Curve 2 as just a good of option as the Tour, but that's just me o well.

TeritaM 12-13-2009 12:24 PM

I think people call it entry level to justify that what they are carrying is "better" it doesn't seem to be marked as entry level on the BB website.

LunkHead 12-13-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveO86 (Post 1526533)
But why entry level?

I'd say the Curve 2 as just a good of option as the Tour, but that's just me o well.

I'd say the Curve 2 is better than the Tour... I have a Tour that's been sitting in a drawer collecting dust for 3 months and I have NO desire to touch it again...

The Tour takes forever and a day to boot, the OS is sluggish, and I absolutely hate the keyboard... The trackball can't be cleaned or replaced, no wifi, ect...

For me at least the Curve 2 blows the Tour clear out of the water... Now for someone who needs World capabilities I can see getting the Tour as opposed to the Curve 2.. If you don't need World capabilities then it's a no brainier for me...

The Curve 2 blows the Tour clear out of the water...

My .02...

Kris

zerog46 12-13-2009 01:44 PM

I am also loving the C2, not to say I won't get the Essex though...