BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Golf GPS Applications (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=58657)

Stinsonddog 12-20-2006 04:45 PM

Golf GPS Applications

Anyone know of any for the BB?

Here is one thing I found

Is IntelliGolf compatible with the RIM Blackberry?
As you probably know, IntelliGolf is already compatible with over 60 million Palm and Treo handhelds, Windows Mobile-based Pocket PCs and Smartphones, Sony Ericsson and Nokia-based smartphones, and over 500 million Windows-based PCs. Recently, we started development work on porting IntelliGolf to the RIM/Blackberry platform. Great News! While it is not ready yet, we plan on shipping for the RIM/Blackberry platform in the coming months. If you would like to receive an email from us when our RIM-compatible version of IntelliGolf is shipping, please send an email to [email address] with "IntelliGolf for RIM list" in the Subject line. We will let you know when it is shipping!

knezek 03-29-2007 12:06 AM

Golf GPS App

I wrote my own Golf GPS app last summer for the 7520. I just updated it for my new 8800. I think the 7520's screen is easier to read in the sunlight though.....

It's a pretty simple app, but the yardages are spot on using the gps.

It allows for multiple courses, and multiple targets per hole, i.e. sand traps, lakes, green center.

You can map the coordinates physically(by standing on the location) or by entering lat/long manually. I use the google earth sat view. It would be pretty easy to write an upload utility for google's kml format but I have not had time yet.

There is also no way to backup the course data, but that is only a problem if you update the os as it is stored in the gps api's landmark store...

Anyway, if there is any interest, I could probably put the ota download on one of my websites.

It definitely helped my game last year. Especially when your on the wrong fairway and need to know the distance:oops:

Stinsonddog 03-29-2007 01:53 PM

Post it and let people try it please.

knezek 03-29-2007 07:46 PM

Here's the links:

www.mascogolf.com/bb/bbGolf.jad - for 4.2 only(8800)
www.mascogolf.com/bb/4.1/bbGolf.jad - for 4.1 only(7520)

Stinsonddog fixed the URLs

jungleland 03-30-2007 01:41 PM

the app is a great idea, but the problem is that it does not give exact yardage...
If your a 15 handicap I suppose your game is not quite as exacting. I will give this a try, it might be useful for bunkers, water etc...But because there is no shared database, you would first need to play the course to enter the information and then play it again to make use of the info...If I play a course more than once or twice, I already have a good idea as to where I do, and don't want to be.

Have you thought about make a centralized database so all users could share the data collected?

knezek 03-30-2007 07:26 PM

Usage

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleland
the app is a great idea, but the problem is that it does not give exact yardage...
If your a 15 handicap I suppose your game is not quite as exacting. I will give this a try, it might be useful for bunkers, water etc...But because there is no shared database, you would first need to play the course to enter the information and then play it again to make use of the info...If I play a course more than once or twice, I already have a good idea as to where I do, and don't want to be.

Have you thought about make a centralized database so all users could share the data collected?

I'm not sure what you mean by not giving exact yardage....to the pin? I use it by having the front and back of the green yardages and then storing pin placement adjustments in the info box which you can call up for any target with the enter key. My league course has a pin sheet each week, so this works good in my case.

If I'm going to a new course, I will usually pull it up on Google Earth, and map the major hazards and green centers. While playing, if the pin is in the front or back, I make adjustments just like I would if using a sprinkler head.

Of course, I live in the Detroit area so the Google Earth maps are pretty detailed. Their have been some courses in Kentucky that I had to go to another source for better detail.

SkyPilot 03-31-2007 12:14 AM

I keep getting page cannot be found errors
any ideas?
TYIA
SkyPilot

knezek 03-31-2007 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyPilot
I keep getting page cannot be found errors
any ideas?
TYIA
SkyPilot

Sorry SkyPilot....

You need to change to 1.4 to 4.1 in the above link.

SkyPilot 04-02-2007 03:57 AM

Thanks that fixed it
I will give it a whirl

SkyPilot

jtdarden 04-03-2007 04:36 AM

8703e

Not sure if your app will work for the 8703e on Sprint, but I am going to try it.

jtdarden 04-03-2007 05:11 AM

8703e

Tried it, keep getting an out of memory error.

SkyPilot 04-03-2007 01:52 PM

Yes I deleted the app after repeated out of memory errors
Never would load completely
SkyPilot

knezek 04-03-2007 03:24 PM

I updated the 4.1 version. Can one of you guys try it out and let me know if it works better?

hrbuckley 04-03-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knezek
I updated the 4.1 version. Can one of you guys try it out and let me know if it works better?

Even worse. It freezes the UI, I have to drop the battery out.

--
Richard
8700r

knezek 04-03-2007 05:37 PM

hr,

When did you download it? I was updating the .cod right about the same time.

hrbuckley 04-03-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

hr,

When did you download it? I was updating the .cod right about the same time.

Just before I posted (v1.8 I think) I will try it again.

hrbuckley 04-03-2007 05:50 PM

bbGolf 1.8 Size: 22756, hangs the UI 8700r running 4.1

Its too bad, I've been playing with it on the 8800 and it works very well. Seems to be nice tight code, responsive, etc.

knezek 04-03-2007 06:07 PM

Everyone hold off using the 4.1 version. Hrbuckley has offered to look at the code and see if he can find a fix for 8700 users.

Link to the source code will be in the next post.

knezek 04-03-2007 06:08 PM

hr,

I've zipped up the 4.1 code for you. I don't have any way of testing it on the 8700* line. It does seem to run fine on my 7520. I now use the 8800 though, and used it yesterday for 18 holes and still had 55% battery left. I used the extended battery in my 7520 and it was comparable. Let me know if you find anything, and I'll post the fixes to the download links....

http://www.mascogolf.com/bb/4.1/bbGolf-4.1.zip

hrbuckley 04-03-2007 06:25 PM

Thanks, I'll have a look at it and let you know what I find.

shrkinst 04-03-2007 08:04 PM

I tried the latest download and get the following msg when loading the application:
Error starting bbGolf: Symbol 'Screen.onMenuDismissed' not found
Any ideas? I'm on a 7520

knezek 04-03-2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrkinst
I tried the latest download and get the following msg when loading the application:
Error starting bbGolf: Symbol 'Screen.onMenuDismissed' not found
Any ideas? I'm on a 7520

Sounds like you downloaded the 4.2 one which won't work on a 7520.

knezek 04-04-2007 12:03 AM

Posted a new 4.1 version....someone want to be a guinea pig?

http://www.mascogolf.com/bb/4.1/bbGolf.jad (for 7100i/7520-8700 w/gps)

shrkinst 04-04-2007 12:21 AM

what's the minimum OS required on 7520 to run this version?

shrkinst 04-04-2007 12:38 AM

Can you post something other then a jad file? I'm not familiar with installing that type of file? I don't have the RIM/SUN SDK? I will try it out for you...

Stinsonddog 04-04-2007 01:11 AM

Quote:

Can you post something other then a jad file? I'm not familiar with installing that type of file? I don't have the RIM/SUN SDK? I will try it out for you...

Load .jad through your BB browswer.

shrkinst 04-04-2007 01:41 AM

Got it going, trying to enter info for a hole:
What format do you enter the lat/long info? For example:
55 1'21.18"N Lat and 55 13'15.93W Long?

knezek 04-04-2007 02:00 AM

It's just degrees....so 42.123456 lat -83.234

There's a setting in Google Earth to show this format. If you go to one of the hole screens, and wait for the gps to fire up(< 2min usually), you can then do Landmark Here from the menu and it will prepopulate the field with your current location.

shrkinst 04-04-2007 02:17 AM

Ok, got it all figured out...
However, I've noticed if I save a Landmark using 'Landmark Here', and then watch it for a bit, it has changed? Started at 0 yards when I saved it, then went to 11 yards (i didn't move)? If I leave the hole and come back its at 11 yards? Any ideas?

SkyPilot 04-04-2007 02:31 AM

I will give this new version a try this week end
it loads and doesn't give me any errors so will get back to you
SkyPilot

knezek 04-04-2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

Ok, got it all figured out...
However, I've noticed if I save a Landmark using 'Landmark Here', and then watch it for a bit, it has changed? Started at 0 yards when I saved it, then went to 11 yards (i didn't move)? If I leave the hole and come back its at 11 yards? Any ideas?

shrkinst,

When you get to the spot that you want to mark, wait a few seconds until the Hor/Ver #'s at the bottom are both 2 or under. These are your gps horizontal and vertical accuracy numbers in meters. You also want to see a number > 5 in Sats if possible. I find it usually starts around 6 then gets to 8 or 9 after my gps has been running a while.

If you mark a spot with the horizontal/vertical numbers under 2, your distances will be accurate to +/- 2 yards. Also, while your playing, when you get to your ball wait a second or 2 for those accuracy numbers to come down.

Hope this helps. I will try and put together a small manual when I get a chance now that it seems to work for more people...

jtdarden 04-04-2007 08:00 PM

Wirelessly posted (8703e Sprint: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Quote:

Posted a new 4.1 version....someone want to be a guinea pig?

www.mascogolf.com/bb/4.1/bbGolf.jad (for 7100i/7520-8700 w/gps)

Tried to download today from my bb browser, no dice...404 error (page not found)

knezek 04-04-2007 09:04 PM

Sorry jt,

Forgot the http://

http://www.mascogolf.com/bb/4.1/bbGolf.jad

jtdarden 04-04-2007 11:05 PM

Wirelessly posted (8703e Sprint: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Tried the link again and got it to work on my 8703e

knezek 04-05-2007 01:40 AM

Posted some screenshots and download links...

bbGolf Information

AZinNC 04-24-2007 07:49 PM

bbGolf is Great!

I was thinking about writing my own Golf GPS application, but I'm glad I found this thread! I'm using the 8800 and have mapped a couple holes at my golf course (people were behind me so I couldn't do them all).

I noticed that sometimes when you save a position, it then starts saying that you are several yards away from that position even if you haven't moved. I assume that this is because the satellites may not have been correctly synched when I initally saved the postion. What are your thoughts?

Also, in response to the other suggestion about having a centralized course DB, I would like to offer to collaborate with you on such a project. I am not sure how you save course information into bbGolf, but I suggest that a standard XML format or something. I am new to BB programming, but I would like to help you extend the application into more of a GUI if you want.

Let me know what you think.

Jon

knezek 04-25-2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZinNC (Post 518894)
I was thinking about writing my own Golf GPS application, but I'm glad I found this thread! I'm using the 8800 and have mapped a couple holes at my golf course (people were behind me so I couldn't do them all).

I noticed that sometimes when you save a position, it then starts saying that you are several yards away from that position even if you haven't moved. I assume that this is because the satellites may not have been correctly synched when I initally saved the postion. What are your thoughts?

Also, in response to the other suggestion about having a centralized course DB, I would like to offer to collaborate with you on such a project. I am not sure how you save course information into bbGolf, but I suggest that a standard XML format or something. I am new to BB programming, but I would like to help you extend the application into more of a GUI if you want.

Jon

Jon,

You need to stand on the spot your entering for a couple of seconds before clicking 'landmark here'. Use 'hor' and 'ver' at the bottom for accuracy measurements. I find that you can usually get them to say 2 & 1 or 1 & 0 which should give you accuracy +/- 2 yards.

Right now, the targets are stored using the built in landmark store which is part of the gps implementation. It would be relatively easy to save them out to xml or another format. In fact the easiest way might be to use a website that allows upload/download.

I just uploaded a new version that uses a bigger white font for the hole screen, that seems to work better in sunlight...I'll post the source code on the site tomorrow, and if you have the time/inclination, you can add features....

TheYoshi 04-30-2007 08:35 PM

It would absolutely rule to see this integrated with oobgolf: Main as they already have great support for blackberry score tracking via mobile.oobgolf.com all free.

They have some excellent charting abilities etc. I'd love to see an app like this help for tracking more stats (yardage of hits, etc.)

j-slatton 05-21-2007 08:30 PM

jon,

get anywhere with your ideas? I'd be willing to host a website that contained downloadable xml files for different courses. Did you mod his code at all?

Oh, knezek, thanks for this app. Works pretty good. I get what seems like a common problem in that when I click "landmark here" after waiting for <2 ver and hor accuracy, the yardage usually changes to 10 or 12. I have 8 sats at the time too. I'll then delete the landmark and create a new one from the same spot, wait a bit and again it'll be 7 or 8 off. Not sure what's happening but 10 yards is kinda big in golf.

But enough whining about it, I'm gonna give it a go this weekend. I used google earth to map out just the green fronts. We'll see how it goes :)

Jeremy

P.S. - First post!

knezek 05-21-2007 08:36 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Jeremy,

I only use the google maps method. I try the landmark here method today.

j-slatton 05-21-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knezek (Post 542516)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Jeremy,

I only use the google maps method. I try the landmark here method today.

Yeah, google maps works good for static points.

The real use I can see for this thing is being able to tell relatively exact yardage from where you're currently at to the pin/green/whatever. If I'm standing in a fairway...how much further do I have to the front of the green?

While the method of inputing lat/long for the front/back of the greens works great...testing the accuracy of the gps by inputing a landmark and then moving away from it seems like a valid test case. If the number changes sporadically from the same spot, this questions the accuracy of the gps no matter how you're using it.

Perhaps there is something funky going on with the landmark here function. Either way, it shouldn't affect what I'm trying to do. Using google maps and putting the landmarks in manually should work great.

Wonder how much the battery gets drained after 5 hours of gps usage :)

Again man...thanks for the app. It's awesome. I'd still like a way to export/import lat/long :)

bubba22 10-16-2007 03:15 PM

Curve 8310?

Will yhis golf GPS program work with the Curve 8310?

knezek 10-16-2007 03:21 PM

Should work fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba22 (Post 706062)
Will yhis golf GPS program work with the Curve 8310?

Download the 4.2 version. Just point your bb browser at http://www.mascogolf.com/bb/bbGolf.jad

bubba22 10-17-2007 09:12 PM

Thanks!!

Looks great. Can one add things like hole length, handicap etc. ? Also is there another mapping site to get coordinates besides google earth (it keeps on shutting me down when I try to map my course) or do I just have to do it manually?

zrcrazy 10-18-2007 01:48 PM

Intelligolf is the only way to go.... works great.....

knezek 10-18-2007 02:20 PM

intelligolf

Quote:

Originally Posted by zrcrazy (Post 708492)
Intelligolf is the only way to go.... work great.....

for $60.....

bubba22 10-18-2007 04:30 PM

Landmarking?

Agreed your program is excellent and all one needs. I walked and landmarked my course and it seems right on. As mentioned I have not been able to get Google earth working to enter in the coordinates which makes sense, especially if one wants to do multiple courses. Does anybody know of any other way to get detailed golf coordinates to enter them into this program?

knezek 10-18-2007 05:58 PM

Maps

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba22 (Post 708679)
Agreed your program is excellent and all one needs. I walked and landmarked my course and it seems right on. As mentioned I have not been able to get Google earth working to enter in the coordinates which makes sense, especially if one wants to do multiple courses. Does anybody know of any other way to get detailed golf coordinates to enter them into this program?

I have also used USGS Geography: The National Map when google maps does not have the right resolution. It's US only, and the interface is not as good, but it gets the job done....

bubba22 10-19-2007 05:15 PM

Canada!!

Unfortunately I'm in Canada. I wonder if there is anything north of the border?

bubba22 10-21-2007 01:41 PM

Fine!

Google earth seems to be working fine. Used landmark entry and yardages are bang on. How many courses can one store on this application? Can we back up the info? Are you working on any upgrades for course info, scorecard pictures etc? This is an excellent program which one will use a lot. Thank you for the good work.

donaldpa 11-05-2007 03:38 AM

From Intelligolf on BB GPS.

Yes, the Blackberry 8800-series integrated GPS chip is compatible with IntelliGolf. However, it is important to note that the GPS accuracy of the Blackberry 8800-series (e.g. 8800, 8820, 8830, etc) of products seems to vary from less than 10 meters/yards of accuracy (i.e. good for golf :-) to more than 10 meters/yards of accuracy (i.e. not useable for golf). As such, you should follow the steps below to determine the accuracy of your Blackberry 8800-series product. Note: If the GPS accuracy of your Blackberry is consistently greater than 10 meters/yards, you should consider getting an external GPS receiver to use for golf (click here for more info). All of the other functionality in IntelliGolf (e.g. scoring, statistics, sidegames, signature courses, etc) works great with the Blackberry.

Blackberry GPS Accuracy Test: To test the GPS accuracy of the Blackberry 8800-series of products, please follow the steps listed below.

Note: These GPS tests were documented/performed on a Blackberry 8800. Your sequence of events may vary depending upon your particular Blackberry model (e.g. 8820, 8830, etc). Please refer to your user manual for model-specific instructions.

On your Blackberry, please select the Settings icon from the main screen. Next, select Options, then Advanced Options, then GPS, and highlight Device GPS (that's the embedded GPS chip). Next, go outside and away from any buildings/trees so that you have a clear view of the sky. Use the Blackberry's function/menu key to bring up the the pull-down menu that shows Refresh GPS. Highlight and select Refresh GPS. That will tell the GPS chip to scan the sky for GPS satellites circling the Earth. After a couple minutes, the GPS screen will be refreshed and it will show you the number of satellites that your Blackberry found. In addition, it will also compute the "Accuracy" that is being obtained by your Blackberry. Any application, including IntelliGolf, will only be as accurate as the GPS data stream that is being provided to it by your Blackberry's integrated GPS chip. While your results may vary, we have noticed that the Blackberry's internal chip varies in accuracy from less than 10 meters/yards to more than 10 meters/yards. Since 10 meters/yards is approximately the delta distance between clubs for most folks (e.g. 7 iron goes 155 yards, 6 iron goes 165 yards) it is very important for golf that the accuracy readings from your GPS receiver/chip are less than 10 meters/yards. Otherwise, you might find yourself hitting the wrong club. You can use the GPS Refresh routine multiple times to see how your Blackberry's embedded GPS chip responds at various locations (i.e. out in the open, under trees, etc). Once you have verified that the accuracy of your Blackberry's GPS chip is consistently less than 10 meters, please exit out of the GPS screens and return to your Blackberry's main menu.

j-slatton 11-05-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba22 (Post 708679)

bbgolf needs the lat/long in a certain format. This format is the DD or Decimal Degree format of lat/long coordinates. Unfortunately, the only program I've seen that outputs in this format instead of DMS (Degree Minute Second) is Google Earth.

However, flashearth.com shows you the lat/long of the current location of the crosshair in a DMS format. In order to convert this DMS to DD for use in bbgolf, you need to click "Link to this location" on the bottom right of flashearth whenever you have your crosshair where you want it (like the middle of a green). The resulting URL in your browser will show the lat/long in a DD format opposed to a DMS.

That's the long way of doing it but it gets the job done.

Oh and I don't know what donaldpa was contributing to this thread but it looked like mere advertisements.

lousygolfer 12-16-2007 06:01 PM

Great app

Thanks alot for this great golf distance app. I've been using it for several weeks on my Curve 8310, mapping points (front green, middle green, bunkers, etc) using Google Earth. I've found it to be remarkably accurate. On my home course (Harding Park, SF), I compared the GPS calculated distances, mapped with Google Earth, on my Blackberry to the actual distances measured using my laser range finder for a variety of targets. Every time, the two methods gave the same distance within 5 yds.

The rate limiting step of this application is loading in all the GPS coordinates. Takes more than one hour to load everything useful. Also, one needs to take care not to use long names for points (such as "greenside right bunker") or the distance numbers run off the right side of the screen (you see only "2" instead of "215" for distance).

A full battery charge for the 8310 is required prior to starting the round, but I've yet to drain the battery in a single round (even those painful 5+ hour affairs at Harding...).

Thanks again.

ricoejk 01-20-2008 07:54 AM

great app - let's improve

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZinNC (Post 518894)

Jon

TO ALL: I love this app, seems like the start of a real winner. So, we need to get data in/out for sharing, etc. So I wrote some code. But I can't compile it, build it, etc. I'm a java guy, but on servers and stuff, don't really want to waste time figuring out how to get the J2ME build env going.

I'll post the code in my next message. Who wants to compile it?????
-Ed

ricoejk 01-20-2008 08:03 AM

the new code

1 Attachment(s)
ok, so the source code can be found in links on this page - bbGolf :: Home

I propose adding code to the bbGolfCoursesScreen.java:

see attached file, look for comments
Code:

// EdK begin added

...thru...

// EdK end added

Let me know if anyone can build and try!
-Ed

knezek 01-20-2008 03:18 PM

Changes

Ed,

I'll add these changes later today and post it to the site...

Thanks,

Kelly

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricoejk (Post 805076)
ok, so the source code can be found in links on this page - bbGolf :: Home

I propose adding code to the bbGolfCoursesScreen.java:

see attached file, look for comments
Code:

// EdK begin added

...thru...

// EdK end added

Let me know if anyone can build and try!
-Ed

Genesis7 02-29-2008 05:29 AM

Can someone please tell me how to use this program? I'm not sure how to map a course and begin to tell how far away I'm from the hole.

I wanted to try it before I get out on the course so I started to map my house but I'm not getting numbers I can understand. Could someone please help explain the screens and actions?

Genesis7 02-29-2008 06:38 AM

I love it!!! I just figured it out...I just didn't wait long enough, to enter a landmark info. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

bubba22 03-27-2008 01:19 AM

Anything New?

Any new advances with file sharing etc? Can we link the app with google maps placement option or do you have to manually enter the coordinates?

knezek 03-27-2008 12:02 PM

Updates

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba22 (Post 871950)
Any new advances with file sharing etc? Can we link the app with google maps placement option or do you have to manually enter the coordinates?

Development Update:
  • The export/save function is working and generates an email containing a google .kml file
  • I am currently writing the import. It scans the devices email for courses and then imports them. I have a golf trip planned for next week, so hopefully I can get it done by then....

I'll post the link here when the new version is available.

bubba22 03-27-2008 11:47 PM

Awesome!!

I have 6 courses mapped and will be doing more. File sharing will only help everyone. By the way currently where are the course info stored when we map them? Let us know if you need any help.

soupmeister 03-29-2008 12:06 PM

Intelligolf

Blackberry GPS Accuracy Test: To test the GPS accuracy of the Blackberry 8800-series of products, please follow the steps listed below.
On your Blackberry, please select the Settings icon from the main screen. Next, select Options, then Advanced Options, then GPS, and highlight Device GPS (that's the embedded GPS chip). Next, go outside and away from any buildings/trees so that you have a clear view of the sky. Use the Blackberry's function/menu key to bring up the the pull-down menu that shows Refresh GPS. Highlight and select Refresh GPS. That will tell the GPS chip to scan the sky for GPS satellites circling the Earth. After a couple minutes, the GPS screen will be refreshed and it will show you the number of satellites that your Blackberry found. In addition, it will also compute the "Accuracy" that is being obtained by your Blackberry. Any application, including IntelliGolf, will only be as accurate as the GPS data stream that is being provided to it by your Blackberry's integrated GPS chip. While your results may vary, we have noticed that the Blackberry's internal chip varies in accuracy from less than 10 meters/yards to more than 10 meters/yards. Since 10 meters/yards is approximately the delta distance between clubs for most folks (e.g. 7 iron goes 155 yards, 6 iron goes 165 yards) it is very important for golf that the accuracy readings from your GPS receiver/chip are less than 10 meters/yards. Otherwise, you might find yourself hitting the wrong club. You can use the GPS Refresh routine multiple times to see how your Blackberry's embedded GPS chip responds at various locations (i.e. out in the open, under trees, etc). Once you have verified that the accuracy of your Blackberry's GPS chip is consistently less than 10 meters, please exit out of the GPS screens and return to your Blackberry's main menu.[/QUOTE]

Just upgraded to the 8830 from a T650 and had Intelligolf on that. Great program! Am I right in presuming that you are doing this accuracy test from the Intelligolf program? I can't find anything to show me how accurate the chip is with BB maps etc. When I go to tools and select advanced options I can only select GPS on or off. No refresh option.
Let me know.
Thanks

bubba22 03-30-2008 12:55 PM

Awesome

Just mapped few more courses. Will the new program allow one to save google kml file? Would be easier to use and map using landmark entry option. Any advances on the program knezek? The accuracy of this with the blackberry GPS is spot on as I have tested it with my Bushnell rangefinder and from course markings. Very happy with the numbers. Keep us updated knezek. By the way how was your golf trip?

bobosyd 04-14-2008 04:40 AM

trouble with web page

Is your web page still working? I can't seem to get to it with Firefox. I get a "no input file" error msg.

Jason

jhowlett12 04-23-2008 03:30 PM

import/outport

it would be great to get that code done. I have a few courses done in Utah and would love to share this and also back them up in case I were to lose the information on my device. please advise with the update.
thanks,

this is awesome I love using it. I have used it for a week now and have been out with a couple holes and this rocks. It has saved me 300 bucks to not have to buy a skycaddie etc.

looking for a sharing system and an export. thanks in advance.

bbleous 05-01-2008 07:46 PM

I'm about to purchase a BB 8310 (ATT), and just found out I can eliminate buying a golf specific GPS device by utilizing the GPS functionality of the the 8310. Intelligolf is one of the products I like . I wasn't necessarily looking to commit to a data plan with AT&T. Is there anyway to download the courses I'm interested in playing to a PC (that is connected to the internet) then transfer the course info to the 8310. I'm thinking internet support is only required to download the courses, it is not required to use the application for a round of golf.

mkeaneaz 05-07-2008 03:20 PM

Does this product work with the Blackberry Pearl. I will be getting one in the next day or two and i play golf religiously. i don't want to have to buy a separate program.

knezek 05-07-2008 03:23 PM

Blackberry Pearl

As long as your vendor doesn't cripple the gps(i.e. Verizon), should work no problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkeaneaz (Post 920761)
Does this product work with the Blackberry Pearl. I will be getting one in the next day or two and i play golf religiously. i don't want to have to buy a separate program.

ejbauer 05-07-2008 09:02 PM

I'm using a GlobalTop G66 GPS connected to Blackberry Curve 8300 via bluetooth. with both GolfTraxx and bbGolf. The GPS is within about 3-4 yards of a rangefinder, with both golf programs. Only problem is the bluetooth connection is dropped periodically, more often with GolfTraxx than with bbGolf.

I'm not sure if this is a Blackberry problem since my navigation program (Nav4all) drops even quicker.

Does anyone have an answer?

gbplay10s 05-19-2008 10:43 PM

I'm not sure on that one. I'll send this over to one of our tech guys and see what they say. My curve has internal GPS, and never drops out, so it has to be in the bluetooth communications area.

gb
GolfTraxx

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejbauer (Post 921288)
I'm using a GlobalTop G66 GPS connected to Blackberry Curve 8300 via bluetooth. with both GolfTraxx and bbGolf. The GPS is within about 3-4 yards of a rangefinder, with both golf programs. Only problem is the bluetooth connection is dropped periodically, more often with GolfTraxx than with bbGolf.

I'm not sure if this is a Blackberry problem since my navigation program (Nav4all) drops even quicker.

Does anyone have an answer?

gbplay10s 05-26-2008 05:46 PM

EJ.... Sorry for the late response, but this is not something that is related to our app. We don't actually do anything directly with the bluetooth connection to the external GPS. Sorry to not be any more help on that one.

gb

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbplay10s (Post 936011)
I'm not sure on that one. I'll send this over to one of our tech guys and see what they say. My curve has internal GPS, and never drops out, so it has to be in the bluetooth communications area.

gb
GolfTraxx

wrknhard 05-28-2008 08:15 PM

Has anybody successfully used an import function for bbGolf?

wrknhard 05-28-2008 08:16 PM

The previous links for bbGolf no longer work. knezek, wheres the new code?

knezek 05-29-2008 06:23 PM

bbGolf Misc

Sorry guys,

The old cms died. Here's a link to the new site:

bbGolf - Home

There's an export to .kml now, and I'm working on an import. Someone wrote an import function for me, but I have not had a chance to look it over yet. It uses the sd card functionality and I was hoping to not have to do that for those people that don't have sd cards.

My schedule looks lighter next week, so I will try!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrknhard (Post 947476)
The previous links for bbGolf no longer work. knezek, wheres the new code?

wrknhard 06-03-2008 02:24 AM

knezek,

Cool - that would be great.
I tried the new download location, but it didn't work. I guess the mascogolf.com domain is down today. I'll try again later.

I know you are working on the import, but out of curiosity what does Hor Acc and Ver Acc mean? I'm interested because when I entered the decimal numbers from google earth kml (see below) they indicated that the front/back/centre were the exact same yardage. Which of these XML fields correspond to the Landmark entry fields?

<longitude>-81.33764931142416</longitude>
<latitude>42.97370415616929</latitude>
<altitude>0</altitude>
<range>80.88223470312528</range>
<tilt>-1.470156356947598e-010</tilt>
<heading>-0.1937560474516588</heading>
<altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode>

thanks!

knezek 06-03-2008 12:00 PM

Hor Acc / Ver Acc

Hor Acc & Ver Acc are horizontal & vertical accuracy. They are used to determine how accurate the measurement is when using the gps. They should have no effect on what you are doing. Latitude & longitude are the numbers that matter. Try this:

1. Download the latest version of bbGolf from the site.
2. Highlight one of your courses from the course screen and press the menu key.
3. Choose export course.
4. Type in an email address to a machine that has google earth on it.
5. Hit the escape/close button, and choose to save.
6. You will receive an email with an attached .kml file.

P.S. The site isn't down. Let me know if you are still having problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrknhard (Post 953825)
knezek,

Cool - that would be great.
I tried the new download location, but it didn't work. I guess the mascogolf.com domain is down today. I'll try again later.

I know you are working on the import, but out of curiosity what does Hor Acc and Ver Acc mean? I'm interested because when I entered the decimal numbers from google earth kml (see below) they indicated that the front/back/centre were the exact same yardage. Which of these XML fields correspond to the Landmark entry fields?

<longitude>-81.33764931142416</longitude>
<latitude>42.97370415616929</latitude>
<altitude>0</altitude>
<range>80.88223470312528</range>
<tilt>-1.470156356947598e-010</tilt>
<heading>-0.1937560474516588</heading>
<altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode>

thanks!

wrknhard 06-03-2008 03:32 PM

Thanks Knezek.
I exported the kml file and confirmed my front/centre and back were actually all the same location.

I'm wondering why this happened. I'm sure I entered different coordinates for f/c/b...I wonder if bbgolf was croping my 14 decimal places to 5 or something. Have you had related issues?

Any, I can't wait for the import function. It looks like its already in development considering the feature is already listed in the menu!!

Regarding Hor Acc and Vert Acc, I tried to look it up - I gave up, and came up with the conclusion that I shouldn't worry about these.

utluke 06-04-2008 07:24 PM

bbGolf is Awesome

You guys are awesome. I've downloaded yesterday and have almost two courses in Atlanta mapped.

KWerdal 06-07-2008 11:26 AM

Knezek, I put your app on my 8310 Curve it seems to work pretty well other then I have found I have to use the GPS test to get it working sometimes, dont know why. When I do use the GPS test it never goes 100% usually 66%. but I was able to get all the front nine programed it is seems to work pretty well. Thank you for all your hard work and for offering it free to us to use!! I will continue offering feedback but please dont think I am complaining!

Kevin

KWerdal 06-07-2008 05:42 PM

Okay the Google Earth thing is too cool, it would be sweet if you could mark the course in Earth and import it to BBGolf, all my locations look good Got the front nine done will do the back nine Monday hopfully

wrknhard 06-18-2008 06:58 PM

Knezek, let me know if there is anything I can help with. I love this app and want to see it continue to evolve.

denal46 06-19-2008 12:18 AM

I have a BB 7250. If I upgrade to OS 4.1 and add an external GPS receiver will bbgolf 4.1 run on the 7250? Also I've seen discussions on using Google Earth to download course information. Is this done on the BB or can it be done on a pc and uploaded to the BB?

wrknhard 06-19-2008 04:58 PM

Denal46, I can't comment on BB 7250 and GPS...but I would assume if you pair it would work the same as an internal GPS. Let this group know how it turns out.

In terms of google earth the process is as follows:
1) install google earth on your PC
2) find your course, and map the greens and other interesting points using placemarks (you should create a folder under my places first before doing the placemarks - having all the course placemarks under one folder will help you later)
3) Save the placemarks to a google earth KML file.

At this point the only way to get these lat/long coordinates into BBGolf is manually. Essentially open the KML file in Excel/Notepad and you can see a 13 or 14 digit number for both lat and long for every point you created. Enter these coordinates (you only need 5 decimal places - bbgolf crops the other numbers anyway) as landmarks in BBGolf on the blackberry. It takes a while, but is well worth it once complete.

THe nice thing about this over other Blackberry golf GPS software is you can pick your own coordinates (bunkers you always hit for example). Golftraxx has this ability using "extras", but sometimes you have to rely on somebody elses extra's.

krypton_john 06-20-2008 03:34 AM

This is fantastic software - thanks!

Is it possible to write add-ins or applets to Google Earth? If so it could make generating course files too easy. Imagine being able to just click on points and enter hole number etc, then save file to the BB!

wrknhard 06-23-2008 01:44 AM

Krypton_John,

I think that's the point of the kml import that is currently being written and developed.

krypton_john 06-23-2008 10:46 PM

Now that I look a bit closer at using folders for place marks I agree - might not be necessary for the add-in!

Perhaps the standard would be to have a folder called BBGolf and then folders underneath for the courses containing the holes, with a standard Holenn naming convention? Or has this already been worked out already? :-)

Can't wait fo rthe kml import feature?

On a related note: how accurate are the coordinates on GE and is this consistent?

krypton_john 06-23-2008 10:58 PM

Hi All,

On my 8830 the GPS seems to get very poor reception, and I generally pair it to a bluetooth GPS when using it for driving directions (using nav4all).

However in bbGolf it always seems to look for the internal GPS, even when I have selected the external BT GPS under Options/Advanced/GPS

Can't bbGolf be configured to use the external GPS? I fear that lacking this option will render it unusable for golf as the internal gps is just not good enough.

I'm here with fingers crossed!

Cheers,
JohnO

TGIM 06-24-2008 03:23 PM

Do you have a .alx file for 4.2 version ? I would like to install this application and give it a try. I dont' have OTA and can't install jad.

Thanks

ma077146 06-24-2008 07:01 PM

This reminds of of an idea for another good application. A gps based application to mark the position of your car in large parking lots. I have a good memory, it's just short! Marking the car location would be a most welcome thing.

krypton_john 06-24-2008 09:04 PM

Nav4All has this functionality.

denal46 06-29-2008 12:25 PM

I need help. Being one who likes to save money I was looking for an inexpensive golf gps system. I purchased a used 7520 on Ebay which I do not intend to to use on the phone system. It does not have a Sim card. I cannot get it to aquire a GPS signal when using GPS refresh. It has a 4.0.2 something OS. Do I need OS 4.1 to use the GPS? I have tried to switch the GPS to unrestricted, but it won't save this setting and says it has no SIM card. Do I need a Sim card for the GPS to work?

Does anyone know if I can just use the GPS with out getting phone service? If so how do I do it? Maybe someone could remove there sim card and see if the GPS still works. I would greatly appreciate any help.

krypton_john 06-29-2008 09:47 PM

Dunno about the 7520 gps, but on my 8830 the gps reception various between non-existent and poor. And this is with a clear sky view.

gbplay10s 06-30-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrknhard (Post 978330)

THe nice thing about this over other Blackberry golf GPS software is you can pick your own coordinates (bunkers you always hit for example). Golftraxx has this ability using "extras", but sometimes you have to rely on somebody elses extra's.

That is an interesting point made about picking your own VS using other's data.

The GolfTraxx model is that everyone relies upon each other’s maps so that everyone maps the best courses for everyone and themselves. Rather than just mapping the bunker you hit as a slicer, a GolfTraxx user will map all the hazards and targets in the line of play. GolfTraxx brings local course knowledge to every user, not just the single person who mapped a course. For example, a blind bunker (one behind a hill close to the green) that is not seen from the fairway, may be known by locals, but not by the casual or new player. A GolfTraxx user will map this for everyone to use. That IS the point of GolfTraxx - map for yourself AND the community.

Where this gets very enjoyable is the Golfer who travels. They can check to see if anyone has mapped the course, and if so load the data and be ready to play without having to map a course that they may never play again.

Based on the process of manually entering described earlier, I have to say that mapping using the PC, sending courses in via email as KMLs, and being able to download courses via BIS or BES seems to be a bit easier than BBGolf. GolfTraxx users can get course data on their device no matter where they are in the world, GolfTraxx is in a different class of application. I do not mean to say better, but definitely different in its execution to the same goal.

Sorry that you feel this is spam... but we provide this for free.

krypton_john 07-01-2008 09:05 PM

Ok, I'm definitely NOT getting GolfTraxx that's for sure.

I hate spammers.

wrknhard 07-02-2008 01:12 AM

The Golftraxx model is genius. I only wish the best for that software - and I wish it would work on Telus and Bell in Canada!! ;-)

The do-it-yourself model of bbGolf is neat too though...allowing you to pick your own points of interest like the distance to that pesky tree that only you seem to get behind.

SoonerTheBetter 07-02-2008 11:09 PM

GPS, Golf. What is up?

Hey, I just got my 8330 the day before yesterday and my head is spinning trying to work and figure this phone out.

I was going to try to go to bed on time tonight, until I realized this phone has GPS capabilities.

So whats the first thing you think of when someone mentions GPS? Of course it's golf. So I googled Blackberry and golf and here I am.

Ok enough intros. I have a Garmin etrex Legend and MapSource on my laptop. I have also mapped out a few courses in my area(a work in progress).

I have plotted waypoints with the Garmin then downloaded them to Mapsource to cleanup and name.

Is there a way to move the info I have collected to my phone? What software, etc.

gbplay10s 07-03-2008 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrknhard (Post 996598)
The Golftraxx model is genius. I only wish the best for that software - and I wish it would work on Telus and Bell in Canada!! ;-)

Were trying to get the connection strings right for those two carriers... It is driving us a bit bonkers :?

denal46 07-03-2008 09:21 PM

Can anyone answer my questions? I purchased a 7520 hoping to use it as a Golf GPS only. I cannot get the GPS to track any satelites. I do not have any type of service on this BB. Do you know if the GPS only works if you have Nextel Service? I also do not have a Sim card. Does it need a sim card for the GPS to work. The OS is 4.0.2.37.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

KWerdal 07-05-2008 08:17 PM

Anything New?

I have been using BBGolf for a couple weeks and it has worked pretty well, is there any new news or updates?

thanks again!!

Kevin

genekend 07-06-2008 01:23 AM

Mscorecard has limited GPS distances. You can put in the front, back and middle of the greens distances. It is also an excelent scoredcard porgam. You can keep score and see distances on the same screens.