BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Network (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Newb question - MDS (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=672)

Hoop 09-23-2004 06:42 PM

Newb question - MDS

I've just been upgraded to a new 7280 from my old 957. So, now I have wonderful web browsing capabilities. However, all is not right in my world.

Through experimentation, I've found that there are two browsers installed. One for WAP, and one for MDS. The only one that appears on the ribbon is apparently the WAP one. It calls itself Cingular Browser and has a Cingular splash screen.

The second one I found only through looking at service books and a few failed attempts to use the 411 app. It is the Blackberry Browser and has a Blackberry splash screen. I can see through configuration that it is ocnfigured for MDS.

Some more particulars: I have Cingular service (as you can tell from the browser). We are using BES.

So, MDS. Is this going to be an add on, or something that should come with BES? Is it typically an extra charge? Can IT just enable it?

If this is something that is going to cost anything extra, either up front or monthly, there is pretty much no way I can get this accomplished.

So, anyone have any clarification for me? As I stated and you can tell, I'm a newb about this.

What advantages/additions can I use if MDS is enabled that I can't do with WAP? Will the WAP browser HTML trick help any?

Gothalyptic 09-23-2004 06:53 PM

AFAIK MDS comes with BES, just a matter of enabling it. MDS over standard BWC service books will essentially give you tcpip access in a sense, allows you to telnet, ssh, IM, html browsing, among other things. Someone a bit more knowledgable may be of more help, however again AFAIK MDS is with BES, just got to "turn it on"

Mark Rejhon 09-24-2004 05:06 PM

You can also use the RBRO trick to enable HTML browsing in the WAP browser.

If your company uses Blackberry Enterprise Server, MDS is a part of it, and you should ask your IT to enable it. No extra cost if you're already on a BES.

Hoop 09-24-2004 09:14 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I did ask IT about it. They said they were planning on it, but weren't ready yet. No reason why.

At least it sounds like it will be available in a bit.

There are so many cool things and killer apps that reqire MDS.

Where is my foaming at the mouth smiley? :)

Riles 10-04-2004 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
You can also use the RBRO trick to enable HTML browsing in the WAP browser.

If your company uses Blackberry Enterprise Server, MDS is a part of it, and you should ask your IT to enable it. No extra cost if you're already on a BES.

How would I be able to tell if MDS is active on our BES without having to deal with the IT department?

thanks,
Bobby