BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   OK..so worse thing EVER has happend, i've lost my BOLD!!!! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=161578)

james_bold 11-25-2008 08:02 PM

OK..so worse thing EVER has happend, i've lost my BOLD!!!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

So I went out this morning and somewhere along the way back I have lost my Blackberry Bold, had less that a month and bought as a bargain on Ebay:-(

I didnt realise prior to this, suppose we never do, but - there is software to trace your lost blackberry...I would recommend this to all of you NOW - the way I have felt today can only be discribed as close to emptyness:cry:

Can any of you advise as to how I can stop ANYONE using the handset or making it just die basically?

I know the PIN and I have disabled all calls/emails with O2 UK - oh yea and to top it all off I am away for work in L.A until 8th Dec - I am even considering buying another handset from ebay and UPS/DHL it across the pond. I am lost without it, not to mention it's my main mobile number...

Any suggestions...??

Raptor464 11-25-2008 08:12 PM

Wirelessly posted

If you know the IMEI you can deactivate your bold through your carrier. Other than that unless you had some kind of theft protection software I'd say you're SOL.

TroyDBrown 11-25-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor464 (Post 1183433)
Wirelessly posted

If you know the IMEI you can deactivate your bold through your carrier. Other than that unless you had some kind of theft protection software I'd say you're SOL.

And 90% of the time a carrier wont blacklist an IMEI.

ndub33 11-25-2008 08:15 PM

If you haven't done so already, call your carrier to have your service temporarily suspended. Also, ask them what their policy is for crediting for calls that you did not make. Most have a threshold of time ( 48 hours prior to you asking for the suspend , for example).

stranger 11-25-2008 08:51 PM

my bold is in the mail what theft protection software is there??

DSS597 11-25-2008 08:59 PM

This is a good time to share with you how I keep my BB set up in case something like this happens. I was on a shoot one day and it slipped out of my pocket, luckily for me one of my crew picked it up without me knowing. I didn't find out for over an hour and the entire time I was agonizing about the data on it. My lesson was learned without having to suffer the consequences.

After that incident I now have the device set to lock upon entering the holster. Besides that the program AutoLock is on it; should it get left laying somewhere out of the holster it will lock after the backlight times out in one minute. I lot of people don't agree with me, and feel it's a pain in the butt to have to type your password in 100 times a day, but when you lose your device even once you'll see why it's worth it. I also have an email address and contact number on the display when it's locked so I can be contacted for its return. Lastly I have both the replacement and repair insurance on the device.

With all of that said, my data is the most important thing to me on the device, even more so than someone making a bunch of calls after picking it up. Those charges can be reversed, but someone having your personal information sucks. Should someone find my device it's locked up tight. The only thing they can do is put in the password 10 times incorrectly which will lead to a full device wipe anyway. At the same time I'll be picking up the new unit and syncing all of my backed up data to it.

I feel for you james_bold (great screen name by the way), and I hope this set-up helps you for your new BB and also helps some others out there.

brill 11-26-2008 02:31 AM

One of the easiest things you can do is to simply tape a note to the inside of your battery cover- "REWARD" + an alternate phone number or email.

I have found several cellphones and with no idea of stealing the data, I would simply have returned the phones to their owners no questions asked. That is, if their phones weren't locked and with no identification on them. The first thing I do when I find a phone is to call the last dialed numbers to see if I can find out who owns them. If they are locked, then I will remove the battery cover to see if there is a name.

If you lock your phone, put your name and number on the battery cover!

By the way, I have gotten back two Blackberries this way. Both left at restaurants.

tazeat 11-26-2008 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brill (Post 1183965)
One of the easiest things you can do is to simply tape a note to the inside of your battery cover- "REWARD" + an alternate phone number or email.

I have found several cellphones and with no idea of stealing the data, I would simply have returned the phones to their owners no questions asked. That is, if their phones weren't locked and with no identification on them. The first thing I do when I find a phone is to call the last dialed numbers to see if I can find out who owns them. If they are locked, then I will remove the battery cover to see if there is a name.

If you lock your phone, put your name and number on the battery cover!

By the way, I have gotten back two Blackberries this way. Both left at restaurants.

You can also put it in contact info so when you turn on the phone your info is right there and they cant unlock it...

brill 11-26-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazeat (Post 1184026)
You can also put it in contact info so when you turn on the phone your info is right there and they cant unlock it...

Except when you find a phone with a dead battery....

LocoStrange 11-26-2008 11:12 AM

Sorry to hear. Hopefully, its just in your car or something. I bought RobLock in case something like this happens