BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9800 Series Discussion - Torch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Instantly Charge Battery to 100% (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=246856)

davemack 03-30-2011 04:13 AM

Instantly Charge Battery to 100%

I've actually been doing this for several years. I did it with my old BB Curve for years and now, I just got what I need to do it with my new Torch.

I hope this is a good idea and there are no negative side-effects. And the cost for being able to do it is less than 50 bucks. All you have to buy is one spare battery, (in my case, I found an OEM BB Torch battery online for 34 bucks), and then, a "remote battery charger adapter".

I keep that "adapter" at my bedside but it is easily portable and plugs right into the same charger USB cable as does the Torch. It's a little box-like adapter that is hardly bigger than the battery itself and thin enough to hide in a shirt-pocket

When my battery is nearly depleted, I just "pop it out" and "pop in" the fresh one. BB reboots in a minute or two with battery at 100%.

I stick the depleted battery in the remote battery charger and forget about it for several days or as long as my battery lasts.

I am hoping that this operation also has the positive side-effect of providing what I am guessing is a good idea to cold-reboot the BB every-so-often. and I never have to deal with any "down-time" while I'm waiting for the battery to charge.

When I travel, I just take the remote charger with the fresh battery in it, with me as it can plug into any car charger or 110-volt charger that I also carry with me. That way, I am never without a fully charged battery.

It seems like for an initial investment of less than 50 bucks, this is a great way to never have to deal with the, "dang, I have to charge my battery" issue.

pshute 03-30-2011 05:43 AM

Re: Instantly Charge Battery to 100%

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemack (Post 1711103)
BB reboots in a minute or two with battery at 100%.

I don't think I've ever actually timed it, but mine seems to take more than a couple of minutes. Maybe it just seems like 5 when you're waiting.

Good idea though. We've put several of these battery chargers around the office at work, so anyone caught with a low battery can just swap batteries.

Pity they change the battery type so often, though.

Other solutions I haven't tried are high capacity batteries (makes the phone thicker), and external battery packs. I'm interested to hear what others think of those.

Grimlin 03-30-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pshute (Post 1711120)
I don't think I've ever actually timed it, but mine seems to take more than a couple of minutes. Maybe it just seems like 5 when you're waiting.

OS6 reboots considerably faster than the OS5 you are running on your Bold 9000.

davemack 03-30-2011 10:16 AM

I am curious if it's a good idea to "shut the phone off" prior to changing the battery or whether it makes any difference? I haven't been shutting it off and so far, it doesn't seem to mind.

pshute 03-30-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemack (Post 1711192)
I am curious if it's a good idea to "shut the phone off" prior to changing the battery or whether it makes any difference? I haven't been shutting it off and so far, it doesn't seem to mind.

I have 80 users here who pull the battery regularly on their Bolds, and who did this on their 8800s and their 7250s before that. Never heard of it damaging anything.

dragonryder 03-31-2011 05:05 AM

Quote:

I think that pulling the battery with the phone still on is a good idea as this will 'reboot' the Torch, like rebooting your computer. (y) ;-)

devnull 03-31-2011 05:47 AM

Quote:

1st step to take if device is having problems? - BlackBerryFAQ

Pulling the battery while the device is on has always been the recommendation, even from RIM.