BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   So will the GPS be locked down? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=153507)

Blackberryer 10-06-2008 09:10 AM

So will the GPS be locked down?

After browsing through all the documentation released this past weekend on various websites, I'm somewhat hopeful GPS won't be locked down. The owner's manual states you can use it with BlackBerry Maps without adding language suggesting it depends on your plan, which indicates the $10 a month charge.

Can anyone confirm this or am I deluding myself?

JSanders 10-06-2008 09:13 AM

That would be the same policy now... pay the $10/month for VZW Navigator, you got GPS, baby! Seems all the same to me.

Cory Scheuer 10-06-2008 09:13 AM

yea it most likely will be locked down by verizon, thats what they do... but with Vodafone and any other provider it should not be...

BigA 10-07-2008 07:28 AM

If thats the case then Blackberry developers will not be able to write 3rd party programs that use location based services for the 9530. So can someone remind me how this is a good thing??

soupandsandwich 10-07-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigA (Post 1127811)
So can someone remind me how this is a good thing??

Good for who?
It's certainly good for Verizon Wireless. Additional revenue stream from their subscribers who want GPS navigation.

mendes9 10-07-2008 07:57 AM

If we all banded together and said we will not buy the 9530 unless they unlock GPS, maybe they will listen.

complexx 10-07-2008 09:16 AM

I don't see why they would allow GPS on this phone and not any other, so I highly doubt it.

Food for thought:

10 bucks a month x 24 months = $240 (lots and lots of GPS available for this price and they are all most likely better than what you'd get on your phone)

I know that there are people out there that NEED GPS on their phone, but for most users, why wouldn't you just buy a standalone unit? It's not like your walking around using your GPS... is it?

test54 10-07-2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigA (Post 1127811)
If thats the case then Blackberry developers will not be able to write 3rd party programs that use location based services for the 9530. So can someone remind me how this is a good thing??

this is whats bad about the VZW navigator deal. I understand where VZW wants to make money off the gps but there are so many good ideas about location based applications that to lock it up will kill those in most cases.

clubchucker 10-07-2008 10:31 AM

I'd bet my last dollar that it'll be locked down by Verizon. That is the one thing about them that just irritates the you-know-what out of me about Verizon....

But, they're not getting my $$ for their stupid Navigator. Very rarely do I need GPS for directions but when I do...I have OnStar in the Caddy.

hcheun 10-07-2008 10:36 AM

Let's just hope if it's not this device, then in the future, when the 700MHz spectrum and there so called "open" initiative might change their ways to have open access to "freely" use your own device's GPS, but till then, i agree with everyone else, they're out to make money on all of us, why would the change that? ::sigh:: thus one of the things i just hate about Verizon...:-(

ejmccartin 10-07-2008 11:52 AM

stupid question alert:

how do they lock down the gps? and would that status change if the phone were unlocked and/or the os updated to another provider's version?

JSanders 10-07-2008 11:54 AM

No, nothing will change unless you subscribe with the monthly fee.

This has been discussed with literally thousands of posts here. Unlocking and OS-updating makes no difference.

Everything has been tried, attempted, hacked, upgraded, unlocked, petitions mounted and all-- AND even Verizon sued...

Nothing.

jsconyers 10-07-2008 11:58 AM

Verizon locks down GPS???:shock:

complexx 10-07-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1128188)
Verizon locks down GPS???:shock:

Lol.

CO_BBTechie 10-07-2008 01:00 PM

Silence! Infidels! :razz:

BigA 10-07-2008 02:54 PM

Would it make a difference if the Blackberry development community made a big stink about this? What do the developers think about this inability to access the GPS tools for the 9530. Or do they simply just don't care or don't use Verizon. I find it hard to believe that the developers are just sitting there saying "big deal no GPS".

I mean really the people over at Telenav or similar companies are either.

a. Laughing their asses off at Verizon. For there ridiculous attempt at making navigation software on their own.

b. Salivating at the mouth looking at the largest Blackberry user base for potential customers.

Your thoughts developers..

Blackberryer 10-07-2008 03:15 PM

So now my question is this:

Say you subscribe to Navigator - does this unlock the GPS so you can use it with other apps such as Google Maps or is it locked to the point that it will only work with Navigator?

BigA 10-07-2008 03:21 PM

I feel like I am eating "Mom's Hamburger" here at Verizon.

Eddie Murphy Raw - Burger from classicstandupfan

==

spbbp 10-07-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Regional Differences

A key element of Thunder is to create a new franchise that will be global in reach. In keeping with this strategy, both carrier and end user customization options are limited to help reinforce a single, unified device.
Thunder product will be released simultaneously by both Verizon and Vodafone. The only differences between the products made available will be branding (Verizon on the battery door and Vodafone being on the endcap) and s/w branding on home screen and carrier specific Icons (e.g. Music applications).
May be wishful thinking (and I don't care as I'm with AT&T). Still, reading the above quote again and again, makes me believe that RIM may not allow Verizon to lock down the GPS with Storm anymore...

Anyone else read the same?

JSanders 10-07-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackberryer (Post 1128414)
So now my question is this:

Say you subscribe to Navigator - does this unlock the GPS so you can use it with other apps such as Google Maps or is it locked to the point that it will only work with Navigator?

Varying Verizon users have reported varying results.