BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   7130e and GPS (Location based services) (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=23544)

dbregman 01-11-2006 12:17 AM

7130e and GPS (Location based services)

According to the manual, the 7130e should be able to get a GPS position. In the menu I have the choice to enable location based services or allow e911 only. But I can not see any other GPS options, such as permission for applications.

Has Verizon disabled the GPS function?

David

Jeff d 01-11-2006 11:07 AM

I noticed this too. I tried to set it to "location on" and use a 7520 GPS app but it just says GPS unavailable.

It would be pretty cool if it would work with apps like telnav.

Jeff d 01-11-2006 11:46 AM

Something I noticed

If you change the option in "Location Based Services"-->"GPS Services" to "Location On" the little Crosshairs looking indicator at the top of the home screen (Near the battery meter) then has little signal things by it. Something like ))) accept getting larger from left to right. If I set it back to 911 only they go away.

It only shows this indicator if you are using an OEM 7130e theme like the verizon one or BB Insight. My downloaded generic 7100 series themes don't show this indicator.

Jeff d 01-11-2006 11:58 AM

Apparently Verizon has neutered the GPS functionality because the 7130e manual describes several options on pages 10 & 11 that are not available on my device:
http://dts.vzw.com/pdf/HowTo_BlackBerry_7130e.pdf

Hopefully someone will figure out how to unlock these features.

kb9liq 01-11-2006 05:50 PM

That would be great. I believe there was a post on here about Verizon adding a service with GPS.

camisa 08-03-2006 07:20 AM

7130e Assisted GPS Location Based Services ( Verizon A-GPS )

I too have a crippled Blackberry 7130e on Verizon Wireless.

My options are limited.
OPTIONS-> LOCATION BASED SERVICES-> GPS SERVICES

This screen lets me turn "Location On" and I see the GPS icon change when it is enabled. (The default is 911 only)

Also, there is another option inside the Blackberry Internet Browser's option menu. Under general properties, you can check "Enable JavaScript Location support."

So, I have location support enabled and javascript support for location based services within the Blackberry Internet Browser also enabled and I download a webpage with the following code from my webserver...

Code:

<html>
<body>
<script language="Javascript">
<!--
if(blackberry.location.GPSSupported) {
blackberry.location.setAidMode(1);
blackberry.location.refreshLocation();
blackberry.location.onLocationUpdate(window.alert("Your new
position is " + blackberry.location.latitude +
" degrees latitude and " +
blackberry.location.longitude +
" degrees longitude."));
}
//-->
</script>
</body>
</html>

As soon as I pull up a webpage with the previous JavaScript in it which uses the Blackberry location object, I get a popup window asking:

Code:

A JavaScript has requested the physical location of your device.  Do you wish to provide this to the script?
I choose YES and I am always told...
Code:

Your new position is 0 degrees latitude and 0 degrees longitude.
Therefore, I think my Blackberry is crippled. My Blackberry runs version 4.1.0.268 of the device software.

I have posted to the Blackberry Developers forums and also to [email address]

Here is a link to the support thread at RIM.
blackberry.com/developers/forum/thread.jsp?forum=3&thread=8556

I have called Verizon Wireless about this issue and they seem to transfer me anywhere they want... from customer service, to technical support, back to customer service... and then sometimes out to RIM desktop support and sometimes out to RIM BES support. I still have no answers.

I'm almost ready to try upgrading my software with the Australian carrier, Telstra's newer version...

Here's a link to the 7130e software from Telstra.
blackberry.com/SoftwareDownload/index.jsp?client=eiKaMQ2dL

Is there anybody else trying to get assisted GPS support from their Verzion Wireless 7130e???

--Camisa

pchernik 08-03-2006 07:40 PM

Doesn't work on Telus either

Quote:

Originally Posted by camisa
I too have a crippled Blackberry 7130e on Verizon Wireless.

Is there anybody else trying to get assisted GPS support from their Verzion Wireless 7130e???

--Camisa

I too have tried all of the same things that you have (Turning Location On, trying the HTML code and the rest). No luck. Note that I have a 7130e on Telus, so it is not just a Verizon issue.

I wrote a Java app using the JDE to query the device capabilities and display the location. It reports "GPS Enabled" but the call to getLocation() just throws a timeout exception after 60 seconds with no coordinates returned.

I have upgraded the device firmware to the latest version 4.1.0.318 (from Sprint) with no changes.

I don't know whether it is:
a) A service book issue (something missing),
b) My provider has disabled it in the provisioning,
c) The device just doesn't support it.

Regardless, I wish RIM would make up their mind whether the 7130e supports GPS or not - references to it are made in numerous locations in the manual, but I don't know of *anyone* who has ever had it working.

Frustratedely yours,

Paul

camisa 08-04-2006 02:45 AM

Paul,

I did get another email back from RIM this afternoon about it... Here's the thread I have with them.

Quote:

Camisa,

The device software does support LBS services however it is up to the carrier. I am unable to ensure that the device is provisioned for LBS and this must come from the carrier.

Thanks,
Michael

------Original Message------
Received: Tuesday, August 1, 2006 1:51:02 PM (EST)
To: [email address]
Subject: Re: Location Based Services ; RQST00000000000

Michael,

Hello. I called Verizon Wireless this afternoon to get an answer
about A-GPS support. Unfortunately, they transferred me back to RIM
desktop support to reload the software on my device. The case number is 123456.

I have noticed in the 7130e user guide and in the developer manual
there should be an option I see in my Located Based Services optioon
menu. The "refresh" option does not exist. Is my Blackberry device
software v4.1.0.268 possibly crippled?

-Camisa

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 09:36 -0400, Blackberry Support wrote:

> Camisa,
>
> Your code appears to be correct. Verizon will confirm with you that you have A-GPS support enabled on your device.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael
>
>

dbregman 08-10-2006 06:42 PM

One would think that Verizon would want to be able to sell us all their cool location based services. It is REALLY stupid that they cripple the funcitonality like that.

camisa 08-10-2006 10:20 PM

Bluetooth GPS...

dbregman,

You're right... Sprint & NextTel don't have a problem putting a price on location based services... so why would Verizon want to lose out on the money???

Anyways... I'm just thinking I will buy a bluetooth GPS transceiver until they do something about the service availability.

--Camisa

rnye8022 08-23-2006 03:56 AM

GPS / Location Based Services on 7130e (Verizon)

Has anyone been able to find a software application that works on the 7130e that takes advantage of the Location Based Services that is included in the phone?

Rushisawesome88 11-05-2006 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camisa
dbregman,

You're right... Sprint & NextTel don't have a problem putting a price on location based services... so why would Verizon want to lose out on the money???

Anyways... I'm just thinking I will buy a bluetooth GPS transceiver until they do something about the service availability.

--Camisa

Sprint/Nextel lets you do this on their blackberrys? i knew nextel does but even the [sprint] 7250 and the 7130e? If anyone has ever tried this with a _sprint_ phone, please let me know what the results were...
thanks

Need 11-05-2006 05:51 AM

Telenav works perfectly on Sprint 7130e with the latest firmware update.

netspirit 11-05-2006 03:31 PM

I don't know if this will help but, does your Verizon Blackberry have Get It Now? I have a US Cellular Blackberry 7130e, so I don't know...but on my Verizon cell phone, I can get the GPS locations, maps, etc..but first I had to download the AP from Get it Now. For a fee.

Just a thought...

ptmis350 11-06-2006 03:25 AM

Verizon Sucks

Verizon disables their devices, gouges on plans and could give a crap about their customer. My 6700 had many functions disabled until we figured a hack, none the less, it's annoying. I switched to Sprint and paid early to get out of my contract and no problems whatsoever, I have GPS on my 7130e w/telenav and I love it. If I need to tether thats allowed as well. Sprint now has the largest EVDO network in the US and they started Rev A EVDO. They are way ahead of Verizon.

Only bad thing is that Sprint customer service sucks, but the service is great.

bionicDan 05-06-2007 01:57 PM

Just tried on the 8800

I just tried your code on a brand new 8800 running on AT&T, which I figured might be more open to browser access to GPS than Verizon devices, which have a history of being crippled. However, I get the same result: 0,0. :cry:

GPS can, however, be accessed by Java apps via JSR179.

Has anyone had any success with browser location?

Quote:

Originally Posted by camisa (Post 290186)
So, I have location support enabled and javascript support for location based services within the Blackberry Internet Browser also enabled and I download a webpage with the following code from my webserver...

Code:

<html>
<body>
<script language="Javascript">
<!--
if(blackberry.location.GPSSupported) {
blackberry.location.setAidMode(1);
blackberry.location.refreshLocation();
blackberry.location.onLocationUpdate(window.alert("Your new
position is " + blackberry.location.latitude +
" degrees latitude and " +
blackberry.location.longitude +
" degrees longitude."));
}
//-->
</script>
</body>
</html>

As soon as I pull up a webpage with the previous JavaScript in it which uses the Blackberry location object, I get a popup window asking:

Code:

A JavaScript has requested the physical location of your device.  Do you wish to provide this to the script?
I choose YES and I am always told...
Code:

Your new position is 0 degrees latitude and 0 degrees longitude.

ZoMtEc 06-19-2007 10:36 AM

Is it possible to get the service provider cellinfos with javascript... ?
no coordinates just a postalcode or something...

i didn't find any informations on that...

darkstar7 06-29-2007 02:49 PM

Yes I can confirm that on the 7130e and the 8703e on VZW that the internal GPS is disabled by VZW. In LBS only the e911 feature works for that sole purpose only.

If you are a VZW owner of a 7130e or 8703e you will need to use an external Bluetooth GPS receiver to get Telenav to function properly. :smile:

I can also confirm that Sprint does not do this and that LBS w/Telenav works as advertised.

jm3 09-04-2007 12:21 AM

accessing blackberry.location will work from Javascript...

If you first tickle the device to activate the GPS (e.g. via something like Google Maps), the code will work. But if you DON'T do this, you'll get 0,0 as your lat,long from javascript, no matter where you are. After awakening the device's GPS via something besides the browser (again, e.g. GMaps), you'll get legitimate values.

This is confirmed on my BB 8800 with Cingular.

So now the question becomes: anyone have any way to awaken the GPS from within the browser / JS?

john manoogian III / jm3

pchernik 09-05-2007 02:58 AM

I can also confirm that the JavaScript code now works on my Telus 8830 handheld. I never did get to work on the old 7130e.

So I guess it is just the Verizon folks that are out of luck.