BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rants and Raves Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   So I Went to Buy a Windows Phone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=255200)

dc/dc 11-06-2011 08:28 PM

So I Went to Buy a Windows Phone

thinking it would interact better with my work Exchange server than my iPhone (and I'm pretty much in love with the UI), but apparently Windows Phone 7.5 doesn't support the encryption requirement policies that can be set in Exchange. WTF Microshaft? How can you make a mobile OS that doesn't even fully support your own mail server product?

Dubdub 11-06-2011 09:16 PM

Re: So I Went to Buy a Windows Phone

Just goes to show that one product line knows nothing about another product line in the same company.

NJBlackBerry 11-06-2011 09:32 PM

Mine does (not making any excuses for Microsoft). I have a WP7 Samsung Focus (7.5) and it has my company ActiveSync policies. They are pretty minimal, but they got applied.

dc/dc 11-07-2011 07:05 AM

Yeah, the main policy that it doesn't support is device encryption. Microsoft's suggestion is to shut that policy off in Exchange. :FACEPALM:

The nature of my company's work requires us to have more hardened devices, so I know they won't go for turning off encryption just so I can use a shiny new Focus S. =/

Thiego-uk 11-08-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1754102)
thinking it would interact better with my work Exchange server than my iPhone (and I'm pretty much in love with the UI), but apparently Windows Phone 7.5 doesn't support the encryption requirement policies that can be set in Exchange. WTF Microshaft? How can you make a mobile OS that doesn't even fully support your own mail server product?

PMSL! This is epic failure!!!
xD

Jadey 12-19-2011 12:38 PM

I actually did an analysis of the OS coverage on my AS/BES environments the other day.

Total handheld OS family split (high level) was:

iOS / 60.48%
Android / 18.21%
BlackBerry OS / 12.61%
Symbian / 4.70%
Windows / 3.20%
Other or Unknown / 0.70%
Palm / 0.10%

Yes, I split out Palm in the report because I was amazed we still had peeps using it LOL

But... If these figures are representative of a "standard company" (not high security, govt, military etc)... And I see no reason why they would not be indicative of a general spread...

It makes more sense for MS to build and develop iOS integration than Windows Phone integration. Especially because, if they don't, 3rd party products will come out and eat into MS just like BES did back in the day.

Just my 2p.

dc/dc 12-19-2011 03:51 PM

Well, that is a good point, and the mobile products are in a completely separate division from the folks that make Exchange.

I upgraded my old Nexus S to Android 4.0.3 yesterday when I got home from Japan, and in the little bit of time I've played with it it seems to be working quite well, so I may end up just going back to Android with a Galaxy Nexus.

Jadey 12-20-2011 12:35 PM

Why Windows Phone 7.5 "Mango" is Not Ready for Business | CIO Blogs

dc/dc 12-20-2011 02:55 PM

Good article, and totally true.

Jadey 12-20-2011 03:53 PM

Yup, one of the IT peeps in my team went off and bought one, could not get it to sync with AS, and is in much the same position as you. PITA OS!