BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   The Unofficial 7100i Review Thread... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=17310)

NeoMatrix 10-16-2005 09:22 PM

The Unofficial 7100i Review Thread...

Hopefully, this will be the spot for all to post impressions of the new 7100i (Nextel).

I am curious about:
- How your 7100i compares to the 7520 (assuming many are upgrading)...including form factor, keyboard use, screen, etc..
- Any other pros and cons of the 7100i.

Thanks all!

kessomatt 10-16-2005 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoMatrix
Hopefully, this will be the spot for all to post impressions of the new 7100i (Nextel).

I am curious about:
- How your 7100i compares to the 7520 (assuming many are upgrading)...including form factor, keyboard use, screen, etc..
- Any other pros and cons of the 7100i.

Thanks all!

Keyboard was awkward at first, but I got the hang of it now. Screen is 100 times better than the 7520, but is hard to see in direct sunlight. The form factor is awesome, pretty small. the pictures make it look big. The buttons on the top are hard to press(power,speaker) and the ptt button is different. MMS is a nice feature, which is a good feature if you like the convienence of blackberry interface and dont want to sign up for a BB data plan. The phone receives SMS with who it came from(7520 did not) and when you reply to a sms it automatically uses MMS.

JDWallace 10-16-2005 11:03 PM

So you are saying that you actually have one in hand now, or you got to mess with it?

europamo 10-16-2005 11:52 PM

I just ordered mine tonight, nice price for 149.99, cant wait.

bigdave 10-17-2005 09:31 AM

Does this mean you'll have to have the MMS plan to use the SMS? Or do you get that with unlimited Data?

Dawg 10-17-2005 09:35 AM

I think you have to have mms plan as well

stlpilot 10-17-2005 02:07 PM

Got mine today...looked online after midnight, and Nextel did update the site to reflect the new unit. There is a $30.00 discount if you buy the thing online. I opted for the instore in my hands purchase. A bit awkward at first on the keyboard from my 7520, but getting used to it with every new message. I like the PTT on the side, but the previously perceived "rubberized bottom" is not rubberized, just a different shade of plastic. Interesting that the nextel brochure indicates this is made to military specs. Seems rugged enough, but I think I will still take my i88 camping and leave the bb at home. Rings are nice, and the form factor is comfortable to carry. Screen is great.

Dawg 10-17-2005 02:10 PM

if you look at nextel brochure the military spec thing is greyed out

Dawg 10-17-2005 02:11 PM

btw what kind of holster did it come with?

JDWallace 10-17-2005 02:31 PM

I went and looked at it at 9 CST right when NExtel opened. I will have to admit...looks good, I definetly like the new antenna vs the old one. It is the same price as the 7520 according to Nextel website, so I don't know if I am going to get it, or wait....hmmm need more info from everyone.........

JDWallace 10-17-2005 02:47 PM

Just got off the phone with Nextel, after the guy looking it up, it looks like with an unlimited data plan, that would cover 100 MMSs. I was like COME ON...ya'll can do better than that. He did say they will be adjusting the two plans to see how it will better suit people and hopefully have it all sorted out in a few months. Still would like to know how someone that actually bought one likes it.

jnelson2000 10-17-2005 04:09 PM

"Optimized for indoor and outdoor display" my &^%. This is just as bad as the 7100T, G, R, Etc.

RF is not any better than the 7520. If not, it is a bit worse having both phones sitting on the same desk next to eachother.

OS is nice. Volume and BT are okay, but the 7520 is better.

Bought mine this AM at a local NRS. Returning mine and going back to the 7520 after I get off of work.

auser 10-17-2005 07:47 PM

love it

Got my 7100i today. Upgraded from the 7520. With my gov't discount + instant savings, it cost me $149
I love it.
-Ring tones are nice (and loud as needed)
-Feels great (not as bulky as the 7520).
-Color screen is excellent and bright!
-Themes are cool (more coming soon according to Nextel).
-I still haven't figured out this MMS stuff yet though.
-Keyboard (SureType) takes a little getting used to but its pretty cool once you get the hang of it.
-dedicated on/off switch is great
-PTT button on the side is cool!
-dedicated phone connect/disconnect is great (like most cell phones)
-speaker phone is clear and loud

I haven't tested my Bluetooth with my car yet, but I'll play with that tomorrow...

JDWallace 10-17-2005 08:46 PM

Hmm since I would get the same break AUSER got, $149 is not too bad I guess. I still am stuck in between if I want to upgrade or not. Let's keep those posts going on this 7100i.....

zma 10-17-2005 08:56 PM

Nextel website is down...

Earlier docs didn't discuss off-network DC or the new group connect function. Can anyone with one confirm/deny these abilities on the 7100i?

dwcarrigan 10-17-2005 09:17 PM

When I looked at the Nextel website earlier today both the Off Network DC and Group DC were greyed out.
No dice

zma 10-17-2005 09:27 PM

Same old radio...fancy new box. :(

martin_j001 10-17-2005 09:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've got mine in hand and have had it since around 3pm or so. Took about an hour to get all info/data moved over from 7520, but I've got everything I need on it now. The 7100i is a pretty nice device altogether. I was very unsure of how I'd like the suretype, but its not as bad as I've heard. It is different, and it will take a few days to get used to, but I think after that break in period, it will be just like second nature.... The screen on the 7100i is AWESOME, as long as you are indoors and not in direct sunlight that is. Pics look great on it, and browsing and other apps look brighter and "newer" on it than they did on the 7520, which seemed to "dull out" colors a bit. The 7100i's backlight comes on as soon as you do anything with it at all, and the screen shuts off altogether after about a minute or so of not being used. The device didn't feel as "cheap" as some posts regarding earlier 71xx devices would lead you to believe, but it lighter and smaller than the 7520, which I think leads to it feeling cheaper, if you know what I mean--not that the device is any less well made... The buttons have a more positive "click" to them on the 7100i than they did on the 7520 though, which will be nice to some and not nice for others. BT using my standard Jabra BT250v is working excellent, not even the slightest echo that we first experienced with the 7520 release. There are a few little differences that I'll call "gripes" at this point, but I'm willing to give it time to see if I can adapt as well: it seems that "dial from home screen" is the standard, and is not changeable. Shortcuts like "c" for compose and "p" for phone don't work on this device, although I'm sure there are other shortcuts that I'm not aware of yet. All in all, its a decent device. If you are looking for something with mms/sms capabilities, a smaller format than standard bb's and more/louder ringtones--this device is certainly an upgrade from the 7520 series. However, in my personal opinion these two devices are on more of a parallel than that--I wouldn't necessarily call either one an "upgrade" over the other. If you want/need an all out, superfast business on the go device, I think you may be better off with the 7520. If you are wiling to compromise on a few shortcuts and learn a slightly different system for the sake of a smaller device that looks/works great in the office as well as on the weekends, then the 7100i may be right up your alley. Here's some pics for anyone thats interested--the 7100i next to my i205, 7520, and my Nokia 2260 (in the second pic they're on their sides to compare widths--my 7520 has the extended battery in it in the pic)....

Now I need to find a case for this, as the stock one is a POS with no "locking" type belt clip--this could just rotate/twist off your belt without you really noticing!! Any suggestions/recommendations??!!

Dbluegoat 10-17-2005 09:43 PM

I just ordered one, it will be my first blackberry......I have a i95cl currently.

zma 10-17-2005 09:47 PM

OOO...did it come with a headset? From your picture, it looks like it might accept the headset plug with the outer ring like the other, newer Nextels...

This gives you PTT on the headset, very fun and something I have been missing on the 7520.

BTW: Thanks for the pics.

Edit: Nextel site is back up. Looks like it does support PTT headset. Woo-hoo, I may decide to upgrade after all.