BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Odd Calendar sharing question (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=184948)

unbb 04-07-2009 10:12 PM

Odd Calendar sharing question

Ok...I tried a bunch of searches and some tests, can't find the solution I need.

Scenario;
My ex and I are really busy with the kids sports and activities. She has a BB with BIS, I have one BES, one BIS. All three are different carriers. Calendar events when I send to her don't add a reminder. It is also tedious. What I want is to be able to share only kid entries. We both use the regular calendar, so switching to something else would be more trouble than worth.

Is there anything to add entries to two blackberries that do not sync at the same computer? It would really make life easier...but obviously neither of us want to share all entries. I don't care if I use the BES or BIS on my side if that can help. If it's on the BES one, I will just mark private.

Any ideas?

SteveO86 04-08-2009 08:49 PM

I think Unite! offers shared calendars, but other then that nothing I know of.

Unite! is getting canned in about a year though.

MasterMerlin 04-08-2009 09:49 PM

Why not just start a shared gmail account that both of you have the password for. Use the Google calendar and download the Google sync. This will add the appointment to your BB calendar as well as hers after she also downloads the Google sync.

Simple, easy and free. What more can you ask for. :smile:

BeachBumSteve 04-08-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unbb (Post 1345768)
Ok...I tried a bunch of searches and some tests, can't find the solution I need.

Scenario;
My ex and I are really busy with the kids sports and activities. She has a BB with BIS, I have one BES, one BIS. All three are different carriers. Calendar events when I send to her don't add a reminder. It is also tedious. What I want is to be able to share only kid entries. We both use the regular calendar, so switching to something else would be more trouble than worth.

Is there anything to add entries to two blackberries that do not sync at the same computer? It would really make life easier...but obviously neither of us want to share all entries. I don't care if I use the BES or BIS on my side if that can help. If it's on the BES one, I will just mark private.

Any ideas?

Try out the "invite attendee" while scheduling a new event.

unbb 04-09-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveO86 (Post 1346897)
I think Unite! offers shared calendars, but other then that nothing I know of.

Unite! is getting canned in about a year though.

Unite is a bit more than I was looking to get into. I read a bit on it and it looks like a pain for what I need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterMerlin (Post 1346997)
Why not just start a shared gmail account that both of you have the password for. Use the Google calendar and download the Google sync. This will add the appointment to your BB calendar as well as hers after she also downloads the Google sync.

Simple, easy and free. What more can you ask for. :smile:

I didn't know the gmail would copy into the BB calendar, that might work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeachBumSteve (Post 1347013)
Try out the "invite attendee" while scheduling a new event.

The problem is remembering to do that, if I add her later she doesn't get a reminder. Also, can that be done when entering on a PC in outlook?

Either way, thanks for the responses. I'm going to look closer at the gmail one I think. See if it is what I need.

Klotar 04-09-2009 11:56 AM

I think the key is remembering to "Add Invitee" for new appointments.

I have gotten into the habit of doing so for all non-business appointments, even if the appointment is not for the other person (e.g. the wife), but by using keywords to identify whom. So, if I have a dentist appointment, then in the subject I might show "Klotar: Dentist Appt" so that the wife doesn't think it's her appointment but will still be aware that I have an appointment.

In your case, just remembering to Invite Attendee for the kids stuff will take care of the reminder issue. Just don't invite her for the non-kids stuff.

Sync'ing with Outlook or DM isn't an issue, the wife never syncs, I only do so weekly.

BeachBumSteve 04-09-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unbb (Post 1347543)
The problem is remembering to do that, if I add her later she doesn't get a reminder. Also, can that be done when entering on a PC in outlook?

Yes, there is a tab in Outlook for inviting attendees.

Adding her later should generate an update message sent to all attendees.

If you're worried about remembering the "invite" method...try GMail calendar sync and share first. I've tried it too but had problems with some events not syncing...never figured out what the reason was.

unbb 04-09-2009 12:27 PM

Appreciate the help guys! I think the gcal is the way to go in our situation. She never connects to a desktop and adds her entries directly on her BB. With a little preliminary testing I think this will work great. If I was the only one adding entries, then outlook would work...not sure if I feel like training her too much... :smile: Plus, she'd have to accept the entries then, correct?

I will keep an eye on syncing to make sure it is happening. Thanks for the heads up there.

BeachBumSteve 04-09-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unbb (Post 1347635)
Appreciate the help guys! I think the gcal is the way to go in our situation. She never connects to a desktop and adds her entries directly on her BB. With a little preliminary testing I think this will work great. If I was the only one adding entries, then outlook would work...not sure if I feel like training her too much... :smile: Plus, she'd have to accept the entries then, correct?

I will keep an eye on syncing to make sure it is happening. Thanks for the heads up there.

Yes, she would have to accept or decline...and with or without comments. That could be useful in avoiding conflicts if you can't see the other calendar or can't share a single calendar. My wife and I invite each other to all events...we differentiate those by putting our 1st initial at the start of the subject for the event. Events including both of us get no initial. My wife loves this setup because she doesn't feel like a slave to her PC anymore. We can keep up and schedule work and social events easily...and without having to deal with multiple calendars.

Let us know how GMail does in your situation.