BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry and Mobile Security (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   BB Spyware - Need For 3rd Party Firewall (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=231801)

Preroll 07-27-2010 11:40 AM

BB Spyware - Need For 3rd Party Firewall

I read this article awhile back and watched the 13 minute video link within the article. I definitely think twice these days about downloading silly apps since stuff like this can be encoded within them. I think it's a matter of time before we see third party developers like Symantec, McAfee, or Kaspersky develop mobile internet security for various phone platforms.

BlackBerry has spyware risk too, researcher says | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

I guess the only good practice today would be to leave the internal firewall on and keep the password enabled to activate the 'Prompt On Application Install'. However, the internal firewall doesn't flag data activity for any OS RIM application. Only third party apps are flagged when attempting to transmit data. I think a third party firewall would flag all operations - like a PC based firewall would do (of course if you block everything, you could render the phone useless). However, over time, tweaking like with a home firewall could lead to an acceptable balance between security and still having a functional phone. I guess time will tell as these so called smartphones are becoming as vulnerable as home computers.:?

daphne 08-02-2010 12:19 AM

At some point I expect a 3rd party firewall will be developed.

Wuzzer 08-05-2010 04:34 PM

Well they already have Lookout for BlackBerry's out which is basically an anti-virus program with built in contact backup and the ability to track your BB in case it's stolen/lost.

Preroll 08-10-2010 03:18 PM

Even though this is targeted at the Android platform, it shows 3rd party security vendors are starting to develop detection software for mobile devices.

First SMS Trojan detected for smartphones running Android

daphne 08-11-2010 09:58 PM

Third party vendors have had anti virus and security apps for mobile platforms for several years actually. Until recently they were mostly for Symbian and Windows phones. All the major security companies have apps for mobile - Symantec, McAfee, Trend Micro, Kaspersky, BitDefender, F-Secure, AVG, ESET, AVAST, and some lesser known vendors. None of the major AV companies have apps for BlackBerry afaik as it hasn't been needed so far.

SteveO86 08-15-2010 11:31 AM

The existing BlackBerry Firewall allows you to Block SMS, MMS, PIN, BIS, Enterprise Email from specific people or people in your address.

With any Security you have compromise functionality at some level.

cheater 08-26-2010 04:23 AM

firewall api

is there an api to modify firewall from java source code?

SteveO86 08-26-2010 06:55 AM

That is a question I would ask a developer, if their is I would guess RIM would control access to that API.