BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Must type "blackberry" for each unlock (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=70012)

netPOSER 03-20-2007 01:25 PM

Must type "blackberry" for each unlock

We have a new 8800 user that is forced to type the word 'blackberry' before his password to unlock the device--not just occasionally but every time..

We are using BES for MS Exchange.

We had a Pearl user go through the same thing and eventually had to wipe the handheld and re-ent. activate it to prevent this.

Are there any non-wipe suggestions or why this happens?

ladydi 03-20-2007 01:32 PM

It usually does that after two wrong tries. Have you yourself seen it on the BB? I had a user call me and complain that her 8700 was doing that. I changed her password and locked/unlocked and restarted and it worked flawlessly for me. I had her set her password back and she was able to get in on the first try while I was standing there. I haven't heard another peep about it since. My first inclination is usually a layer 8 problem ;) good luck.

netPOSER 03-20-2007 01:34 PM

Nope, it's not prompting for 'blackberry' after this user's typo but immediately before the pw prompt.

ladydi 03-20-2007 01:59 PM

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but you have pulled the battery to reset, watched it boot and then it prompted for "blackberry" first thing to unlock?

netPOSER 03-20-2007 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladydi
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but you have pulled the battery to reset, watched it boot and then it prompted for "blackberry" first thing to unlock?

Yes, it wants you to type 'blackberry' on every single unlock. Not just when you mess up your pw or change a random setting.

We had a Pearl that did this and had to wipe/re-activate.

merlin 03-20-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netPOSER
Yes, it wants you to type 'blackberry' on every single unlock. Not just when you mess up your pw or change a random setting.

We had a Pearl that did this and had to wipe/re-activate.

Hi. We have exactly the same issue here on 8800's. It looks like it a bug somewhere.

If you look in your IT Policy, Password Policy Group, Set Maximum Password Attempts. I bet its set to 3 or 4.

We found that on 8800 devices if it was set to less than 5, it asks for Blackberry everytime you use the device. If you set it to 5 then it doesn't and only asks for blackberry when you get the password wrong.

We changed all our policies to Max Password Attempts 5 and the problem has gone away...

Merlin

netPOSER 03-20-2007 04:38 PM

It was set to 5 already so I bumped it up to the max of 10 to see if that has any affect.

merlin 03-20-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netPOSER
It was set to 5 already so I bumped it up to the max of 10 to see if that has any affect.

Ok. If you also look on the device itself in options, security settings
There is a option in there for max pwd attempts. I think the user can change that from 1 to whatever the BES maximum is. See what that is set to and change it to 5 if its less..
M

netPOSER 03-20-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlin
Ok. If you also look on the device itself in options, security settings
There is a option in there for max pwd attempts. I think the user can change that from 1 to whatever the BES maximum is. See what that is set to and change it to 5 if its less..
M

Thanks for the tip. On the 8800 the max attempts was set to "4". I bumped it up to the max of 10 and on save was prompted for "blackberry" again. But I locked the BB and unlocked it and amazingly I only had to enter the pw.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm guessing RIM knows about this?

Maybe the mods can make this sticky?