BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Hacking the Blackberry? :O (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=118240)

edude03 02-17-2008 07:23 PM

Hacking the Blackberry? :O

Hello everyone,
I'm new here, and I'm not sure if this is a touchy subject but I'd like to do some blackberry hacking. I have taken a few software engineering courses and I am in my second year of computer engineering at UoW.

Anyway, My goal is to get software to run natively outside of the BB OS, has any work been done in this area?

Furthermore, is there anyway to get access to the hardware while in the BBOS? It seems that development is limited without the key, however, I only bought a BB to play with so I'm looking for a way around that.

Another thing I wondered, How does a service provider program the phone initially? I haven't been able to find any information on a PST tool or service mode for any of the blackberry models which I find highly unusual considering I can even get into service mode on my Treo.

Also, I would like to run linux or something on it since like I said, I'm not really interested in using it as a phone.

Thanks for any information you can provide, and for the record I have a 8820 and a 8830 thanks,

Michael

ezrunner 02-17-2008 07:37 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Bbs biggest claim to fame SECURITY

d_fisher 02-17-2008 07:38 PM

No one has done what your wanting to do. Or, no one has gone public with claiming to have done so. Since the BlackBerry is designed first to be secure I suspect you will have a hard time. Good luck.

paulbblc 02-17-2008 07:56 PM

What's with the recent surge of want-to-be BlackBerry "Hackers"?

NJBlackBerry 02-17-2008 08:00 PM

Google "BlackBerry hacking" and see what you come up with.
Enjoy ;-)

ezrunner 02-17-2008 08:09 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Who knows why the sudden surge! Probably want some sort of claim to fame

JSanders 02-17-2008 09:25 PM

Wirelessly posted (8800: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Get in line dude. Another haaaaacker was here earlier asking the same questions. He gets first haaaaaacking. You get the sloppy seconds.

rambo47 02-17-2008 09:50 PM

I hear the SideKick is easy and fun to hazor. Maybe that's your best bet.

John Clark 02-17-2008 11:22 PM

It can't be hacked? u sure?

steakman 02-17-2008 11:38 PM

I'm with John Clark...Ain't nothing on the planet that secure. One way, by hook or crook (no pun inteneded), someone will hack these units if they have not already done so. It might take an insider to provide the proper info and backdoor info, key whatever...but happen it will.

Dish/BEV thought that by going to Nagra 2 that they would wipe out all the hackers...never happened.

Can still get Sat TV free. And ya don't need a "card" to do it either.

stk

John Clark 02-17-2008 11:42 PM

You didn't detect the sarcasm?

It can't be hacked. They've been out for quite a few years now and have never been hacked. Good luck!

wabbit 02-18-2008 12:39 AM

but but but Paris Hilton's Blackberry, was hacked!
it was even in the news ;-)

Iare Tosevite 02-18-2008 03:59 AM

I would love to have ability to load Linux into my BB someday when its old and replaced, but it seems unlikely.

Maybe research among lines of jtag traces and such may help you.

greggebhardt 02-18-2008 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edude03 (Post 839239)
Hello everyone,
I'm new here, and I'm not sure if this is a touchy subject but I'd like to do some blackberry hacking. I have taken a few software engineering courses and I am in my second year of computer engineering at UoW.

Anyway, My goal is to get software to run natively outside of the BB OS, has any work been done in this area?

Furthermore, is there anyway to get access to the hardware while in the BBOS? It seems that development is limited without the key, however, I only bought a BB to play with so I'm looking for a way around that.

Another thing I wondered, How does a service provider program the phone initially? I haven't been able to find any information on a PST tool or service mode for any of the blackberry models which I find highly unusual considering I can even get into service mode on my Treo.

Also, I would like to run linux or something on it since like I said, I'm not really interested in using it as a phone.

Thanks for any information you can provide, and for the record I have a 8820 and a 8830 thanks,

Michael

Blackberry OS programming is ONLY done by RIM. The carriers have little to do with it . They agree what wioll be on their phones and RIM puts it on at their factory.

If you have taken "a few courses" and you do a little homework about RIM, you would have already decided to look else where for hacking!

And SteakMan, yes many things have been hacked and there is a possibilty that even RIM will get hacked one day, but I highky doubt it will be from a guy who has "a few courses".

It will be a sad day for Blackberry when this does happen and it's users!

rambo47 02-18-2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabbit (Post 839534)
but but but Paris Hilton's Blackberry, was hacked!
it was even in the news ;-)

That was her über-cool SideKick, IIRC.

RobM 02-18-2008 07:59 PM

Anything is hackable...just a matter of how many you're gonna go thru until you get it

John Clark 02-18-2008 08:52 PM

If it was hackable it would have been hacked by now.

RobM 02-18-2008 08:56 PM

not necessarily...With enough resources and ego, if someone wants to hack it...it will be done...never say never...they said the titanic was unsinkable

John Clark 02-18-2008 08:59 PM

Not likely.

rambo47 02-18-2008 10:21 PM

The Blackberry was designed specifically not to be hacked. Unless someone is going to employ an unknown alien technology, it's not getting hacked. Resources and ego be damned, it's about intelligence. And the hazorers just don't have the mental horsepower. Hack Windows? Low degree of difficulty. iPhone? Trivial. Nokia? Cake. Blackberry and their 2048-bit encryption? Not unless you're the NSA.