BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Upgrading OS?? Not in FAQ (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=167860)

Jazzi 12-30-2008 12:59 PM

Upgrading OS?? Not in FAQ

I've read through all the FAQ's and haven't found this question answered. I'm all ready to take the plunge and update my OS to 4.5 on my 8310 Curve. Everything is backed up and I'm ready to go except one thing.... I get this message stating "Warning: After completing the loading operation, you must activate your device wirelessly to continue to send and receive messages and use other BlackBerry services"

What exactly does that mean? Is it something to do with the service books? Or do I have to call AT&T and be re-activated? I'm not doing anything until I get some answers from the experienced users here. I am still new to owning a BlackBerry and nervous about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rachamphetamine 12-30-2008 01:06 PM

To me this sounds like instructions regarding a device on a BES plan (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you are not using a phone provided to you by your workplace, you should be able to upgrade to OS 4.5 just fine and not have to re-activate anything.

But, if anything goes wrong, we're all here to help. :-)

CO_BBTechie 12-30-2008 01:13 PM

Not sure why you didn't see it in the FAQ, as it is certainly there.

Section "Applications and Operating System FAQ's"
Entry #3 -
How do I upgrade the OS on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ

Unless you meant your specific question wasn't answered vs. you couldn't find the upgrade FAQ.

Jazzi 12-30-2008 01:18 PM

No, this doesn't have a BES plan; it is a private phone. I guess I'll give it a try.

JSanders 12-30-2008 01:20 PM

Ignore that warning. After the upgrade, your device will (hopefully) connect with the network and do just as the warning advised... sometimes a manual service book resent or network register could be required.

Jazzi 12-30-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie (Post 1228066)
Not sure why you didn't see it in the FAQ, as it is certainly there.

Section "Applications and Operating System FAQ's"
Entry #3 -
How do I upgrade the OS on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ

Unless you meant your specific question wasn't answered vs. you couldn't find the upgrade FAQ.

I meant the specific question regarding having to activate wirelessly wasn't answered. Sorry I wasn't more specific. :oops: I did read the info at the above link.

Jazzi 12-30-2008 01:27 PM

Thanks JSanders, I'll be back if I encounter any problems...

Jazzi 12-30-2008 03:50 PM

All went well and without a hitch. Woo hoo!

nabman 12-30-2008 04:14 PM

I found that with my corporate Blackberry (which is on the BES), the unit was no longer "Enterprise Activated" after the OS upgrade. I had to request a new password etc ... once activated, it did a full wireless re-sync.

On my personal Blackberry (BIS), it was all standard and no reactivation etc. was needed.

JSanders 12-30-2008 04:15 PM

Exactly, Nabman (y)... that is how it works.

takeshi 12-31-2008 02:32 PM

Yup -- always resend service books after an upgrade. For BES that means going through Enterprise Activation.