BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Google Local 1.3 - W/Traffic Updates (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=41923)

Spamdumpster 07-25-2006 07:21 AM

Google Local 1.3 - W/Traffic Updates

I just installed the new version of Google local at Google Maps.

The two new features are (1) that it allows you to save favorite locations; and (2) it shows traffic problems for 30 major metro areas. (Right now, in Boston, it's showing traffic on I-93. Pretty cool.)

NOTE: I unstalled the older version of google local first. As a result, I lost internet connectivity and googletalk. I tried everything (hard reset, reregister on the network, sync on the computer, etc.) and finally I had to call Cingular to get a service book resent. Maybe someone should try installing thew version over the old to see how it works. (READ THE WHOLE THREAD FIRST, SOME PEOPLE HAVE HAD PROBLEMS TRYING THIS)

Spamdumpster 07-25-2006 07:24 AM

Playing with the traffic feature a little more:

It shows green if traffic is moving at more than 50 mph, yellow for 25-50 mph, and red for less than 25 mph. Gray indicates that no info is available.

Assuming the info is up to date, this looks like it could a be a fantastic tool.

Allowing the saving of favorite locations is a good feature as well.

headtailgrep 07-25-2006 07:34 AM

I heeded your advice and downloaded it without uninstallation. BB (os 4.1) asked "you have 1.2.1 installed, do you want to replace it with 1.3.0" i said yes of course.

It didn't replace it -- both apps still on device. I couldn't 'find' the app in options -> advanced -> applications, so did javaloader -usb dir , and erase to erase the old module.

No traffic for Toronto.. too bad.. maybe another day =)

juwaack68 07-25-2006 08:03 AM

Sweet, I love new features!

Not sure what to think about the new version not uninstalling the old version, though. That's kind of hokey.

lgreenberg 07-25-2006 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headtailgrep
so did javaloader -usb dir , and erase to erase the old module.

Could you explain this?

I seem to have both versions on my device now but no way to remove the old one.

EDIT - I just deleted the module off the device and the old one's gone.

OldTimer 07-25-2006 08:25 AM

Nice
Deleted old version, OTAed the new one with no problems on my Nextel 7520.

Very cool to use satelite view!

jungleland 07-25-2006 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldTimer
Nice
Deleted old version, OTAed the new one with no problems on my Nextel 7520.

Very cool to use satelite view!

Anyone have the link to the new version?

thanks..

Spamdumpster 07-25-2006 08:57 AM

OTA link is:

Google Maps

jungleland 07-25-2006 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spamdumpster
Playing with the traffic feature a little more:

It shows green if traffic is moving at more than 50 mph, yellow for 25-50 mph, and red for less than 25 mph. Gray indicates that no info is available.

Assuming the info is up to date, this looks like it could a be a fantastic tool.

Allowing the saving of favorite locations is a good feature as well.

thanks for the link...Where did you find the KEY for the different colors?

juwaack68 07-25-2006 09:21 AM

I had to go into Help and then Highway Traffic to find the 'legend'

PaCharger 07-25-2006 09:24 AM

what an AWESOME new feature. Last week I spent 5 days traveling...flights mostly but some 2-3 hour drives. Pulled up my older version and found restaurants easily, hotels efficiently and driving directions at the snap of a hat....even a client that was using a vanity address.

This new traffic feature kills the need for my traffic.com rss feed....love it!

juwaack68 07-25-2006 09:24 AM

Hold up....I just found that you can store 'Favorites'! Did the previous version have this? According to Help, you can set Favorites by pressing **, navigating to the spot, and then clicking the wheel.

Very Cool!

whsbuss 07-25-2006 09:26 AM

Uninstalled old and OTA new.... works fine. Like the traffic status!

evilcaptain 07-25-2006 09:48 AM

Same here. Uninstalled old and OTA new. Works like a charm. I love the traffic status.

Spamdumpster 07-25-2006 10:22 AM

Has anyone been able to find any info regarding the google traffic information? Where does it come from? How up-to-date is it?

I haven't been able to find anything at all on the interweb.

wibbly 07-25-2006 10:24 AM

Oh dear. Very broken for me.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post284626

Stinsonddog 07-25-2006 10:33 AM

For a clean upgrade, unistall the old one first and then install 1.3.

Stinsonddog 07-25-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68
Hold up....I just found that you can store 'Favorites'! Did the previous version have this? According to Help, you can set Favorites by pressing **, navigating to the spot, and then clicking the wheel.

Very Cool!

This is a new feature and should be welcome. Means people should be doing backups.

juwaack68 07-25-2006 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
This is a new feature and should be welcome. Means people should be doing backups.

Backups? Users doing backups? What a concept......

hokie123 07-25-2006 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
For a clean upgrade, unistall the old one first and then install 1.3.

I loaded version 1.2.3 of Google maps before activating my company Enterprise mode (which does not allow me to download new programs once the policy is in place).

What options do I have for downloading the new version? It seems to me that I would only have permission to download the newer version since I had permissions on the BB prior to activating Enterprise. I'd like to install from scratch, but don't want to lose the older version when upgrading to the newer version.