BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Mass Storage is Enabled and SD card cannot be seen. (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=93570)

07outback 09-04-2007 06:22 AM

Mass Storage is Enabled and SD card cannot be seen.

The mass storage card is enabled on my 8830, but yet when I go to Media Manager to load media files on the card it tells me that the Mass Storage needs to be Enabled. When I take the card out of my 8830 and put it into the card reader directly it is recognized by my computer. When I connect my 8830 to my computer Explorer shows the device but shows it as being empty and asks Please insert a removeable disc.

I have reformated the Micro SD card in the card reader to make sure that everything is fine and the Micro SD has no problems.

What do I do next?

Thank you,

penguin3107 09-04-2007 06:26 AM

Have you tried formatting the SD card using the BlackBerry itself?

07outback 09-04-2007 09:23 AM

Thank you.. I formatted the card using the BlackBerry itselfper your suggestion and that took care of the problem.

MotoUp 09-04-2007 04:30 PM

I'm having the same problem. My BB sees it, but explorer nor media manager see it. I formatted it with the BB. Any more suggestions? I'm using an 8830, and it's a 4GB Sandisk.

Thatzmister2u 09-04-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoUp (Post 655668)
I'm having the same problem. My BB sees it, but explorer nor media manager see it. I formatted it with the BB. Any more suggestions? I'm using an 8830, and it's a 4GB Sandisk.

Is your mass storage enabled on the phone?

E-

MotoUp 09-04-2007 04:33 PM

Yeah, it is. I read the faq, and it's actually pretty self explanatory...it's just that XP isn't seeing it as a removable drive. Nothing comes up at all when I plug in the BB.

Thatzmister2u 09-04-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoUp (Post 655674)
Yeah, it is. I read the faq, and it's actually pretty self explanatory...it's just that XP isn't seeing it as a removable drive. Nothing comes up at all when I plug in the BB.

Wow. I just tried to access mine and I can't see it either! I am sure that I did previously. For the OP....does it now show up as a Lettered Drive? Like F:
or G:?

I know that if you have a network drive mapped that some mass storage devices will want to use the next available drive assignment, E: or F: and will not work because something else is connect as the drive it wants to assign.

I will wait for help with you here!

E-

John Clark 09-04-2007 05:21 PM

*most* of the time it's an issue with conflicting drive letters. Also, be sure you're not plugging into a hub. The BB's often times have trouble with hubs.

MotoUp 09-04-2007 06:16 PM

The drive letter conflict must be my problem at work. I brought it home and tried it and it worked just fine. Thanks.

MotoUp 09-05-2007 11:27 AM

Well, I finally got it. I disconnected all my mapped network drives, and it worked. Now I just have to figure out a work around so I don't have to do that, but I guess it will work for now. Thanks for all your help.

weath 09-06-2007 05:04 AM

Re-map your network drives from the bottom of the alphabet (ie Z:, Y:, X: etc).

That way you minimize drive letter conflicts, since D: E: F: etc aren't being used until something is plugged in, like your BB.

MotoUp 09-06-2007 09:23 AM

Well, the 3 network drives that I have mapped are mapped by a login script. The first mapped drive is J:. The interesting thing is, on my home computer, it mappes my BB as I:, which isn't being used on my work computer, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't just use that. :?

starpix 10-02-2007 09:42 AM

Make sure your Workstation Service is running under:
Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

Will probably be the last service listed.