BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Beta You Than Me (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   No Beta Releases for Torch for long time... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=253532)

nathan62969 09-18-2011 01:59 AM

No Beta Releases for Torch for long time...

So its been months since there has been a new beta release for an os upgrade to the 9800 (and perhaps other devices).

Fair to say that this is due to RIM's smaller marketshare, lesser profits, and having to cut its workforce?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

nobody7290 09-18-2011 06:03 AM

Re: No Beta Releases for Torch for long time...

I think nobody knows a real answer, you can only speculate.

It could be because:
RIM simply does not want to leak unfinished builds.

RIMs development team is busy developing the playbook - sounds unlikely, because I think the playbook dev team is a different team then the blackberry team, but since RIM will move everything to QNX OS, maybe the BB dev team needs training to be able to develop for QNX and therefore there is less time for Development ?

RIM focuses on improvement of current devices then on old ones which already run stable. Why fix something which works ? Why add features to devices which do not have the memory or CPU for new things ? For me this is the most likely reason.

I tried very hard for one year to use OS6 on my 9700, but finally gave up and upgraded to OS5. IMO it was a wrong decision to offer an interim OS for the 9700 which not only has bugs and is bloated because of the mobile safari, but also has less features then OS5.

Dubdub 09-18-2011 08:42 AM

Probably aren't going to get much more for the 9800 since the 9810 is the direct replacement. Plus, with the new QNX based devices coming next year sometime, probably won't see many updates for OS 6 devices.

Just a guess however.

nathan62969 09-18-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1744937)
Probably aren't going to get much more for the 9800 since the 9810 is the direct replacement. Plus, with the new QNX based devices coming next year sometime, probably won't see many updates for OS 6 devices.

Just a guess however.

Has RIM ever stopped working on updates (beta/official/otherwise) for other models, making them otherwise *appear* obsolete.

In the "Latest Known Beta OS Version Releases" there appears to be some one or two newer updates for the 9800 under wraps, but it still seems as if work on improving OS 6 for the 9800 suddenly stopped? If that is the case, simply not having enough labor seems a likely variable too.

...But to see a determination that the 9800 is not to be improved (I love it, but as noted in the "Wishes For Future Upgrades For Thew 9800" thread in the 9800 Forum, there are a number of things that could be awesomer) is not a very good thing to say to your customers who got locked into a 2 or 3 year contract and cannot upgrade until February.

Looking forward to QNX though..

rambo47 09-18-2011 09:54 AM

Legacy devices are quickly pushed to the back burner, not just by RIM but by all tech companies. Once a new version of hardware is released, maintenance releases for the older models is all you can reasonably expect.

Devices like the 9800 and 9630 were replaced fairly quickly compared to previous models. The 9810 and the 9650 that replaced them were the devices RIM should have released in the first place. The previous models seemed like place holders to tide us over until the real deal was ready.

RIM has said they are moving towards a product cycle that includes new releases every three to six months. Shorter life cycles for new kit will frustrate some, please others. It's an aggressive cycle and there is no guarantee RIM can stick to it, but it does give you some insight into their thinking.

Dubdub 09-18-2011 11:21 AM

Keep in mind that the upgrade policy is from the carrier, not RIM. When you bought the device, you knew you were locked in for whatever period is on the contract. As Rambo said, as new deices hit, there comes a point where support or older models has to stop.

nathan62969 09-18-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1744960)
Keep in mind that the upgrade policy is from the carrier, not RIM. When you bought the device, you knew you were locked in for whatever period is on the contract. As Rambo said, as new deices hit, there comes a point where support or older models has to stop.

Copy that. I just seem to remember that with my 9000 the OS upgrades continued beyond the release of 9700 (and I see they have still come out)? To drop upgrades suddenly on a year-old model, knowing that many of the users are locked into conteracts with carriers, ...makes me wonder about RIM's strategic view of its customer base.

Of course, if when I am able to upgrade to another phone (especially the QNX) with ATT, I only have to pay a few dollars, then I'll probably be able to live with that.

rambo47 09-18-2011 05:45 PM

The 9700 wasn't released as quickly after the 9000 as the 9810/9800. There was also talk that it wasn't a direct replacement, especially since they changed the form factor significantly.

given2fly 09-24-2011 01:17 AM

who uses a torch?? ;) :p

knottyrope 09-28-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by given2fly (Post 1746188)
who uses a torch?? ;) :p

I do and many of my friends. :razz:

DallasFlier 09-30-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knottyrope (Post 1747054)
I do and many of my friends. :razz:

Add me to that list also - and congrats on post #5,000! :smile:

SBibbo 10-01-2011 09:38 AM

Me too as well as about 400 other users where I work.

rambo47 10-01-2011 10:56 AM

I was hoping for a CDMA version of the Torch 9810 for Sprint. I'm thrilled with my Bold 9930 but the larger screen and slider keyboard of the Torch intrigues me. Rumor is that we *might* see a 9830 (CDMA) next year, but with the expected arrival of QNX in 2012 this may remain just a rumor.

Remember: A rumor is not responsible for who believes it.

tbird57 10-04-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1747657)
I was hoping for a CDMA version of the Torch 9810 for Sprint. I'm thrilled with my Bold 9930 but the larger screen and slider keyboard of the Torch intrigues me. Rumor is that we *might* see a 9830 (CDMA) next year, but with the expected arrival of QNX in 2012 this may remain just a rumor.

Remember: A rumor is not responsible for who believes it.

Fat chance of that happening!