BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Blackberry Desktop and Windows Vista (OMG) (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=113835)

Chiocciman 01-20-2008 06:06 PM

Blackberry Desktop and Windows Vista (OMG)

I loaded the Blackberry Desktop from the disk (4.2) and the recommended update 4.2 SP2 onto my XP machine with problems.

Now I am trying to load either on my Vista Laptop, which will be the main sync location. I can not get it to install, even with "run as administrator). I get an error message " can not find the file xxx/xxx/xxx/Blackberry Desktop Software.msi". I tried to load from the CD and I tried downloading to my desktop and installing. No way, Ray!

Are there know problems with the desktop on vista? I didn't download the latest version because someone said in a psot that there were problems with it.

Any suggestions? I need to get this sync'd with my data base before tomorrow. i have conquered almost all the issues...except the most important one.:oops:

thanks
Chuck

zerog46 01-20-2008 06:09 PM

I have Vista and don't have any problems. Go to VZW site down load the software from there and see it that works.

BlackBerry® Software Updates

peoples_flip 01-20-2008 06:24 PM

Why not install Desktop Manager 4.3? That's what I'm running on my laptop with Vista Ultimate and it works great.

ltj13 01-20-2008 06:28 PM

Wirelessly posted (8320: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I didn't have a problem with 4.2 on my vista machine but many people did.. I'm using 4.3 now tho.. You should give that a try..

zerog46 01-20-2008 06:30 PM

You can use either one, typically DM 4.2 sp2 works better, there are still some bugs in DM 4.3, but it does work good when you get it working.

semantik 02-09-2008 07:50 PM

I ran into major problems trying to install 4.3 vista and after trying numerous fixes finally was able to get 4.2 working.

jDMJeRk 02-09-2008 08:24 PM

64 bit ultimate as well... no problems with it either :)

zerog46 02-09-2008 08:37 PM

I have had better luck installing 4.3 overtop of 4.2.

SteveO86 02-09-2008 08:44 PM

I started with BDM 4.2.2, I had a bit of trouble getting that installed. I would disable UAC in the control panel and then restart and attempt to install the BDM.

If you attempt to install 4.2.2 the actual is delayed, after initialize it and nothing happens, start the Task Manager and look for the processes of MSI.exe or msiexec.exe, if that is running then the installation is working but very slowly, patience is key. That was my experience with version 4.2.2

BDM 4.3 installed a lot more quickly them 4.2.2, which is what I have been using for months now. I haven't had any real problems with 4.3 and I reconfigured the sync between a few of my Outlook 07 profiles, and everything worked smoothly. *knock on wood*

That is just what I experienced..

RobM 02-09-2008 10:26 PM

I just picked up a new laptop and loaded 4.3 no problem...but maybe because I had nothing else on it...either way, I would try to load the latest version

Keepingupwith 03-01-2008 01:21 PM

Desktop manager will not install

I have been trying for two days to get DM to install and it won't. I've tried:
  • installing from the CD - it appeared to conflict with prexisting Roxio Easy Media Creator Suite 9
    • Downloaded the latest DM from BB website. Still wouldn't install
      • Downloaded DM from verizon - same as before
        • I tried installing via custom option and canceling installation of Roxio media manager. Now my existing Roxio Media Suite 9 won't run, even after performing system restore.
I can't believe BB doesn't have a clear solution to this. My next try is to remove my current Roxio software and try again.