BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Verizon rep confirms GPS for 8830 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=102675)

MikesTooLz 10-31-2007 07:46 PM

Verizon rep confirms GPS for 8830

I Just got a call today from the rep at my local verizon store asking why I cancled my service last month.

I told him that I was lied to about the 8830 having GPS enable to use for things like google maps. He told me that verison was planning to enable GPS on 8830 in december. I told him that I talke to them and called them on the phone many times about it and that they all told me that verison has no plans to enable GPS EVER.

He told me that he was sorry that they had given me this incorrect information and if I know their names. He said that all of the reps should know that the GPS is being enable in december.

He then told me that he has one there that they gave him to play with and that it has the gps enable. I told him I would come in tommorrow to meet with him about it. He said he would give me as much of a discount as posable if I decide to come back to verizon.

I want to see this verizon 8830 with gps enable in person. I am also going to ask him for some type of writen document stating that they plan to enable GPS for you guys.(even though i dont plan on going back with verizon)

anyone want to buy a verizon 8830? I have no use for it anymore, Unless they do enable the gps and I can use it just for that.

akosnitzky 10-31-2007 08:13 PM

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I hope you are right. I would like to have the service. Please keep me posted.

jsntrenkler 10-31-2007 09:31 PM

Your Rep from your local verizon store called you? .. You two must be good friends.

DC-WiFi.com 10-31-2007 09:44 PM

Confirmation please?

JSanders 10-31-2007 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC-WiFi.com (Post 723808)
Confirmation please?

lol, a little impatient? The OP stated:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikesTooLz
I am also going to ask him for some type of writen document stating that they plan to enable GPS for you guys.(even though i dont plan on going back with verizon)

FrankWheezy 10-31-2007 10:37 PM

The GPS will be enabled on the 8830 but for VZ Navigator use ONLY!!! That will happen on Nov. 8th. That is the same day the Pearl is launching and that too will also be VZ Navigator capable. The monthly service for unlimited VZ Nav use will be 9.99. On that day you will be able to log onto the VZW Blackberry home page on the blackberry browser and do a OTA download but keep in mind that the application will only work once you call and have the VZ Nav feature active on your account.

**Believe me if you want***

jsntrenkler 10-31-2007 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWheezy (Post 723844)
The GPS will be enabled on the 8830 but for VZ Navigator use ONLY!!! That will happen on Nov. 8th. That is the same day the Pearl is launching and that too will also be VZ Navigator capable. The monthly service for unlimited VZ Nav use will be 9.99. On that day you will be able to log onto the VZW Blackberry home page on the blackberry browser and do a OTA download but keep in mind that the application will only work once you call and have the VZ Nav feature active on your account.

**Believe me if you want***

I Believe you ... This is similar to what I have been told, However I was also told that Verizon would be giving us 8830 users the 4.3 update on that same day as well "which will include VZ NAV"

hnsimpson 11-01-2007 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsntrenkler (Post 723909)
I Believe you ... This is similar to what I have been told, However I was also told that Verizon would be giving us 8830 users the 4.3 update on that same day as well "which will include VZ NAV"

I just hope this ends the Verizon-GPS themed threads that, for the most part, seem to go nowhere.

-simpson

Dawg 11-01-2007 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hnsimpson (Post 723974)
I just hope this ends the Verizon-GPS themed threads that, for the most part, seem to go nowhere.

-simpson

amen

kdog1176 11-01-2007 06:19 AM

Will be interesting to see what happens here. At the very least, you Verizon customers can at least use GPS with VZ Navgiator (9.99 per month). And at best, you'll also be able to use GPS with free mapping software like th rest of us.

MikesTooLz 11-01-2007 01:07 PM

the rep told me he was using gps with google maps. Im going to stop by today after work.

JRSCCivic98 11-01-2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikesTooLz (Post 724514)
the rep told me he was using gps with google maps. Im going to stop by today after work.

Work? Work? You think work is more important then this? Leave work, GO NOW!!! GO NOW AND FIND OUT!!! :razz:

Let us know what you find out. I'll be very impressed if he actually has Google Maps running with Internal GPS. Be sure to go into Options and GPS and take note if the display is different. Once switched to Location On you should have other things displayed on that screen. Keep us posted.

BTW, if his 8830 works with Google Maps simply point to something behind him and yell "What in the world is that!?!" Then swap his for yours and calmly bid him goodby. :)
http://72.224.24.173/epub/pbride/pbimages/vizz6.jpg

sLpFhaWK 11-01-2007 10:22 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Lol that might work if verizon used sim cards,

But wut free software is good besides google maps?

John Clark 11-01-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikesTooLz (Post 724514)

That's not so far fetched....some (not all) of the Verizon demo units have GPS enabled. It's been posted here before.

ofelas 11-02-2007 12:16 AM

Quote:

Lol that might work if verizon used sim cards,
It will certainly work, seeing as the Verizon 8830 uses SIM cards.

lisamlas 11-02-2007 12:48 AM

VZ Navigator & GPS

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWheezy (Post 723844)
The GPS will be enabled on the 8830 but for VZ Navigator use ONLY!!!

What exactly IS VZ Navigator? I don't understand what it does, and why it will cost more. Can someone help?

JRSCCivic98 11-02-2007 10:06 AM

OK, what the hold up? Did this guy go by yesterday or not? I have a feeling he might have walked into some kind of "let's quiet the public" setup. After all, the "local store rep" called him. Maybe he walked in and the guy was like, "Sure, come on in the back and I'll show you that GPS works". Who knows what happened after that... maybe he's dead. :P

MikesTooLz, let us know what you found out if you're still alive. :P

jsntrenkler 11-02-2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisamlas (Post 725421)
What exactly IS VZ Navigator? I don't understand what it does, and why it will cost more. Can someone help?

It is Verizons Navigator software ... It uses GPS to give you turn by turn directions, tells you where you are at and can even look up nearby restaurants, shopping etc... It is great software IMO and does a great job at the things that it supposed to do.

sLpFhaWK 11-02-2007 02:30 PM

how much extra is it to use the software? 10 a month?

rockbottom8 11-02-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sLpFhaWK (Post 725930)
how much extra is it to use the software? 10 a month?

Yeah...it's going to be 9.99...so 10 something with tax ;-)