BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   RIM Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   News Feeds App. (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=241999)

SteveO86 12-19-2010 01:50 PM

News Feeds App.

Installed this app and messed around with it a bit.. But I wonder why RIM even bothered releasing it the beta zone, RSS is built into SocialFeeds..

What do you guys think? I mean news feeds is a very basic and quick RSS reader. Reminds me of the original Viigo.

Sytner 12-19-2010 02:13 PM

Re: News Feeds App.

Could be an attempt to return a Viigo-esque experience to OS 6 for those who prefer it to Social Feeds. I suppose it's also useful to those who don't want their news feeds combined with ones from Facebook, twitter and the like.

araskin 12-19-2010 03:07 PM

I agree. I use Social Feeds for all my RSS and am not sure why I want to use this new app. Doesn't seem like a compelling reason at the moment.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

aiharkness 12-19-2010 04:29 PM

Probably the reason RIM released it is because they are supporting more than just this year's new model and OS..... I like it so far. Simple. Quick.

EDIT: On further thought, seems the app is not downloading the very latest posts. Hope I'm wrong.

Also, I wish the app had the feature to open full feeds in the app.

SteveO86 12-19-2010 06:14 PM

Good point. News feed is probably for older devices.

The message list integration doesn't seem to be working for me and I don't see any notification for this app.

aiharkness 12-19-2010 06:40 PM

From what I see, the messages integration only includes the feeds that have been set for alert. If you haven't set any, then that would explain it.

Some of the things I like about this app:

- the capability of viewing all unread or individual feeds

- even when viewing all unread, the app shows the feed source for the post

- the ability to mark prior read

- the app is overall very clean and simple, no adds, and feeds that show full posts are completely displayed with photos and all

My only complaint is that the app only opens full articles in the browser with no option to open a stripped down mobile presentation of the article in the app.

I'm either wrong about the app not downloading the latest posts, or there was an issue with the particular feed I was looking at. Other feeds appear up to date. I think I was just mistaken.

BarracudaBob 12-20-2010 10:00 AM

I had hoped they would have made it more like Viigo. They didn't make great use of screen real estate. The list of feeds and articles are in a large font and take up two lines each. The layout in Viigo is much easier to manage and also looks more like the Messages application with date headers followed by messages from that day. I am also a bit disappointed that it uses the browser to view full articles. Since I am still rocking a Curve 8900 I can (and will) hang on to Viigo as my main new reader. I hope that they improve this by the time I am eligible for upgrade to the Torch 9800.

SteveO86 12-20-2010 08:21 PM

I'm still puzzled by it.. I mean it appears to be very solid and runs smoothly, it downloads images alot quicker then Viigo ever did. If we didn't have socialfeeds I would be stating this is another must have app.

VIOLATOR 12-20-2010 10:14 PM

For those of us who do not OS 6, and do not like how bloated Viigo got, it IS a must have app. I really like it and I like the simplicity of it.

The only issue I have with it is you can only delete one article at at time. Very tedious...

david