BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   New Members Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Blackberry Newbie: couple of basic questions (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=52007)

Argelius 10-25-2006 10:06 AM

Blackberry Newbie: couple of basic questions

I've just switched from the world of Palm Treos and Pocket PCs to a BB 8700. It's taking a little getting used to. The 8700 is a cool device, but I'm finding I had grown used to my Treo functionality and and getting used to some of BBs no-frills approach to things...

I've searched through forums, but have a few remaining questions:
[1] Is there a way to keep the phone on, but turn off the push email? (For instance, at night I want to keep my phone on, but don't want emails sent to my BB)

[2] BB email does not support HTML formatting? I realize the answer is 'yes'...I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who finds this odd? (Admittedly, plain text email is simple and straight forward, but some HTML formatting (like bold and italics) makes for easier reading.

[3] Am I correct that there are not 3rd party applications that spruce up the Contacts view? All of the info is there, but it would be nice if the field names weren't formatted identically to the field data.

[4] In messages, I have the option set to "hide sent messages"; however, the messages I send still show up in the list. Am I missing something?

Sorry I'm posting with my "complaints" about the BB interface. I know the BB community is quite passionate about their devices, so not trying to come across as being overly critical...

paulbblc 10-25-2006 11:04 AM

First off, welcome to the forums!

1. The closest thing to this would be turning the radio off, however you stated you still want the phone to work at night. Unfortunately it's not possible to turn off them both. Why didn't you want emails at night? Is it anything editing a profile so it doesn't beep when you receive them can fix?

2. I find HTML formatting to be a pain actually IMO. Plain text doesn't bother me.

3. I know I saw an application a long while back that you could edit address book views. Do a search in the 3rd party application forum for info on that.

4. My hide sent messages works just fine. Not sure what is wrong with yours or why it's not working. Sorry.

phungy 10-25-2006 04:24 PM

Welcome!

idealist 10-29-2006 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argelius
I've searched through forums, but have a few remaining questions:
[1] Is there a way to keep the phone on, but turn off the push email? (For instance, at night I want to keep my phone on, but don't want emails sent to my BB)

1. Switch the profiles to phone only.

[2] BB email does not support HTML formatting? I realize the answer is 'yes'...I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who finds this odd? (Admittedly, plain text email is simple and straight forward, but some HTML formatting (like bold and italics) makes for easier reading.

2. Not possible to my knowledge.

[3] Am I correct that there are not 3rd party applications that spruce up the Contacts view? All of the info is there, but it would be nice if the field names weren't formatted identically to the field data.

3. See #2.

[4] In messages, I have the option set to "hide sent messages"; however, the messages I send still show up in the list. Am I missing something?

4. These might be SMS or MMS messages that are still showing as sent. My sent emails do not show under this option.

Hope this was some help, and welcome to the forums.

Argelius 10-29-2006 12:15 PM

Thanks for your help! Makes total sense now.