BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Simon says: BlackBerry won't sell separate camera and music phone, but... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=40873)

serrano_yejo 07-13-2006 08:50 PM

Simon says: BlackBerry won't sell separate camera and music phone, but...

Not surprising today that during an online chat, Globe and Mail technology reporter Simon Avery was asked whether he thought BlackBerry would introduce a camera phone. After all, Research In Motion is part of Simon's beat, and his newspaper is the second-largest in RIM's home nation of Canada.

The question was posed by Matt Zwick from Edmonton.

"I think a lot of people are wondering the same thing, Matt. RIM is pretty coy about its plans for adding cameras, music players and other multi media features to the BlackBerry," Simon says (you knew I was going to say that, right?-Russ). "The idea of a separate 'fun' model for the consumer makes some sense, but I think RIM really wants to fold the new features smartly into existing business models because they don't want executive users moving to other devices on the weekends and after hours."

So in other words, Simon believes that BlackBerry doesn't want to cannibalize sales of their other devices.

"They (RIM) want the BlackBerry to be the single, must-have device," he adds. "The challenge is how to add these rich features without disrupting the efficiency of RIM's model, which uses low bandwidth and power. "

Then, Ken Humphlett from Gainesville, Fla., asked Simon about camera and memory card slots in future BlackBerrys.

"It's going to be hard for RIM to avoid camera and memory slots," said Simon, "when Motorola, Palm and others include them as standard. "

Boy Genius 07-14-2006 02:09 AM

this was posted on bbhub.com...RIM is definitely not looking to alienate the business market but come fall youll see expandable memory and smaller better design and some other cool stuff i cant talk a:smile: bout

InPocket 07-14-2006 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boygenius
this was posted on bbhub.com...RIM is definitely not looking to alienate the business market but come fall youll see expandable memory and smaller better design and some other cool stuff i cant talk a:smile: bout

I hate when you say that, lol. One question though, can we see the features noted here in the upcoming Verizon model or will that come much later?

HuwSy 07-14-2006 07:12 AM

Quote:

How do you know this, do you work in RIM RnD? lol. I dont suppose you can give any more insight than already around these forums. Or atleast a time scale for when the info will be released about any of this?

serrano_yejo 07-14-2006 07:29 AM

Quote:

since i dont have ten post this forum doesnt let me post links...:oops:

Can you give me hope about the upcoming SPRINT?VERIZON cdma BB... InPocket and I need to know

xxhiyanxx 07-14-2006 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuwSy
How do you know this, do you work in RIM RnD? lol. I dont suppose you can give any more insight than already around these forums. Or atleast a time scale for when the info will be released about any of this?

i can almost guarentee you that boy genius is one of the few people that you should trust on this forum ;)

FlyingElvis 07-14-2006 11:51 AM

Quote:

By smaller better design do you mean flip?

Boy Genius 07-14-2006 01:12 PM

Yes blackberry flip phone...Something called blackberry connect was introduced a little while ago, there are some flip phones with blackberry in it...

Zro 07-15-2006 04:09 PM

Quote:

Yes blackberry flip phone...Something called blackberry connect was introduced a little while ago, there are some flip phones with blackberry in it...

I love that answer.

BG, does this mean that you are like me and hate flip phones? And before people start flaming me, that's just my opinion.

HOWEVER, RIM not making their handheld into a flip phone does offer them a nice advantage...distinction...or at least more distinction than a regular flip phone. With a few exceptions (RAZR) I can't tell you who makes a specific flip phone when I see one...but I can tell a BB from a regular candybar formfactor..and generally even easily distinguish it from a Treo/Q/Outter Space Alien Communications Device :).

Just taking a look at a bit of history, RIM has usually jumpped into many things late in the game...and usually when they do, it's at a time when their last incarnation was solid and on target. If the rumors are true about cameras, media, and/or SD in a BlackBerry, then we can probably safely assume that any plans for a flip-BlackBerry won't be rumored until after those features are as solid on a BB as the email is.

Just my $0.02 worth, and is based on my personal dislike of the flip phone.

Zro

Boy Genius 07-16-2006 10:48 AM

I wouldn't mind a flip phone blackberry, I dont think that will happen soon but in terms of functionality if it had a full QWERTY keyboard and clamshell design, I would mess with it.

Dawg 07-19-2006 11:21 AM

I had in my hot little hand a few minutes ago the sweetest little BB I have ever seen. Was on Tmobile a beta it had no wheel it was about the size of a ipod nano. The screen was absolutley amazing. The guy had a 1 gig card in it and i was watching jack jack from the incredibles on it. The thing was super fast and the screen was amazing. He wouldnt let me take any pictures of it since it was a beta phone. He said Tmobile was supposed to release in septemeber. Then cingular would have it after that. Has a small full qwerty keyboard. and the camera was amazing it took better pitures than my samsung digital it has a five level zoom.

I may have to go back to a BB for this jewel.

Dale Emery 07-19-2006 12:33 PM

New Bberry

Hey Dawg,

Now that you have me in a tither- If it's the size of a nano and has a full QWERTY keyboard, are the keys teeny-tiny or does the design get around that? VERY curious. Thanks for the info, btw!!

Daledo

sbennett 07-19-2006 01:03 PM

Check out Mobiledia dot com to see Samsung's version of their blackberry connect flip phone. I believe it's due out for T-Mobile Q3 of this year.

sbennett 07-19-2006 01:06 PM

It has a 1.3 megapixel camera, removable memory, speech recognition, QWERTY keyboard, the list goes on and on. Samsung makes a great product to begin with, now that it has blackberry connect, it will be hard to beat. Look for it to be reasonably priced as well.

Soapm 07-19-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't mind a flip phone blackberry, I dont think that will happen soon but in terms of functionality if it had a full QWERTY keyboard and clamshell design, I would mess with it.

I agree, my T900 pager had a nice design as far as keyboard goes. It was LED so the screen was no in this legue...

coreyg510 07-19-2006 02:09 PM

See link:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=39591

FlyingElvis 07-19-2006 03:30 PM

How can a device the size of the Nano have a full QWERTY keyboard? Does the keyboard open up from the sides?

Dawg 07-19-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Emery
Hey Dawg,

Now that you have me in a tither- If it's the size of a nano and has a full QWERTY keyboard, are the keys teeny-tiny or does the design get around that? VERY curious. Thanks for the info, btw!!

Daledo

Im a big guy and I had no issues with the keyboard to be honest. I say nano but its actually probally a tad bigger but still smaller than the 7100. The joystick is in the center of the device above the keyboard. on the home screen they have a place to add your most favorite six ppls picture and you can dial them from the home screen. i just couldnt get over how clear the screen was even in the 102 degree sunshine. I am supposed to get a beta unit in september so we will certainly see.

xplod4203 07-19-2006 08:12 PM

i don't care if it has a fleep, personaly i like BB with out one, but i do really want to see mem card slot, and the ability to view videos, as well as mp3's for ringtones. I also wouldn't mind a camera. Its funny how palm has all of it, and BB still doesn't.

Dawg 07-20-2006 05:56 AM

xplod i guess you didnt read what i just wrote a few post above yours i had my hands on one yesterday that had all of these items and more