BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Golf GPS Applications (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=58657)

Stinsonddog 12-20-2006 04:45 PM

Golf GPS Applications

Anyone know of any for the BB?

Here is one thing I found

Is IntelliGolf compatible with the RIM Blackberry?
As you probably know, IntelliGolf is already compatible with over 60 million Palm and Treo handhelds, Windows Mobile-based Pocket PCs and Smartphones, Sony Ericsson and Nokia-based smartphones, and over 500 million Windows-based PCs. Recently, we started development work on porting IntelliGolf to the RIM/Blackberry platform. Great News! While it is not ready yet, we plan on shipping for the RIM/Blackberry platform in the coming months. If you would like to receive an email from us when our RIM-compatible version of IntelliGolf is shipping, please send an email to [email address] with "IntelliGolf for RIM list" in the Subject line. We will let you know when it is shipping!

knezek 03-29-2007 12:06 AM

Golf GPS App

I wrote my own Golf GPS app last summer for the 7520. I just updated it for my new 8800. I think the 7520's screen is easier to read in the sunlight though.....

It's a pretty simple app, but the yardages are spot on using the gps.

It allows for multiple courses, and multiple targets per hole, i.e. sand traps, lakes, green center.

You can map the coordinates physically(by standing on the location) or by entering lat/long manually. I use the google earth sat view. It would be pretty easy to write an upload utility for google's kml format but I have not had time yet.

There is also no way to backup the course data, but that is only a problem if you update the os as it is stored in the gps api's landmark store...

Anyway, if there is any interest, I could probably put the ota download on one of my websites.

It definitely helped my game last year. Especially when your on the wrong fairway and need to know the distance:oops:

Stinsonddog 03-29-2007 01:53 PM

Post it and let people try it please.

knezek 03-29-2007 07:46 PM

Here's the links:

www.mascogolf.com/bb/bbGolf.jad - for 4.2 only(8800)
www.mascogolf.com/bb/4.1/bbGolf.jad - for 4.1 only(7520)

Stinsonddog fixed the URLs

jungleland 03-30-2007 01:41 PM

the app is a great idea, but the problem is that it does not give exact yardage...
If your a 15 handicap I suppose your game is not quite as exacting. I will give this a try, it might be useful for bunkers, water etc...But because there is no shared database, you would first need to play the course to enter the information and then play it again to make use of the info...If I play a course more than once or twice, I already have a good idea as to where I do, and don't want to be.

Have you thought about make a centralized database so all users could share the data collected?

knezek 03-30-2007 07:26 PM

Usage

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleland
the app is a great idea, but the problem is that it does not give exact yardage...
If your a 15 handicap I suppose your game is not quite as exacting. I will give this a try, it might be useful for bunkers, water etc...But because there is no shared database, you would first need to play the course to enter the information and then play it again to make use of the info...If I play a course more than once or twice, I already have a good idea as to where I do, and don't want to be.

Have you thought about make a centralized database so all users could share the data collected?

I'm not sure what you mean by not giving exact yardage....to the pin? I use it by having the front and back of the green yardages and then storing pin placement adjustments in the info box which you can call up for any target with the enter key. My league course has a pin sheet each week, so this works good in my case.

If I'm going to a new course, I will usually pull it up on Google Earth, and map the major hazards and green centers. While playing, if the pin is in the front or back, I make adjustments just like I would if using a sprinkler head.

Of course, I live in the Detroit area so the Google Earth maps are pretty detailed. Their have been some courses in Kentucky that I had to go to another source for better detail.

SkyPilot 03-31-2007 12:14 AM

I keep getting page cannot be found errors
any ideas?
TYIA
SkyPilot

knezek 03-31-2007 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyPilot
I keep getting page cannot be found errors
any ideas?
TYIA
SkyPilot

Sorry SkyPilot....

You need to change to 1.4 to 4.1 in the above link.

SkyPilot 04-02-2007 03:57 AM

Thanks that fixed it
I will give it a whirl

SkyPilot

jtdarden 04-03-2007 04:36 AM

8703e

Not sure if your app will work for the 8703e on Sprint, but I am going to try it.

jtdarden 04-03-2007 05:11 AM

8703e

Tried it, keep getting an out of memory error.

SkyPilot 04-03-2007 01:52 PM

Yes I deleted the app after repeated out of memory errors
Never would load completely
SkyPilot

knezek 04-03-2007 03:24 PM

I updated the 4.1 version. Can one of you guys try it out and let me know if it works better?

hrbuckley 04-03-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knezek
I updated the 4.1 version. Can one of you guys try it out and let me know if it works better?

Even worse. It freezes the UI, I have to drop the battery out.

--
Richard
8700r

knezek 04-03-2007 05:37 PM

hr,

When did you download it? I was updating the .cod right about the same time.

hrbuckley 04-03-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knezek
hr,

When did you download it? I was updating the .cod right about the same time.

Just before I posted (v1.8 I think) I will try it again.

hrbuckley 04-03-2007 05:50 PM

bbGolf 1.8 Size: 22756, hangs the UI 8700r running 4.1

Its too bad, I've been playing with it on the 8800 and it works very well. Seems to be nice tight code, responsive, etc.

knezek 04-03-2007 06:07 PM

Everyone hold off using the 4.1 version. Hrbuckley has offered to look at the code and see if he can find a fix for 8700 users.

Link to the source code will be in the next post.

knezek 04-03-2007 06:08 PM

hr,

I've zipped up the 4.1 code for you. I don't have any way of testing it on the 8700* line. It does seem to run fine on my 7520. I now use the 8800 though, and used it yesterday for 18 holes and still had 55% battery left. I used the extended battery in my 7520 and it was comparable. Let me know if you find anything, and I'll post the fixes to the download links....

http://www.mascogolf.com/bb/4.1/bbGolf-4.1.zip

hrbuckley 04-03-2007 06:25 PM

Thanks, I'll have a look at it and let you know what I find.