BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Paper or BlackBerry (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=165303)

dexstruh 12-15-2008 11:33 AM

Paper or BlackBerry

Just wondering, when you are in meetings, do you write down notes with pen and paper, or do you use your :bb: to type in a quick outline?

341EastOf 12-15-2008 11:46 AM

I definitely use pen and paper. I am not sure I could take quick enough notes on my BB.

The other problem for me would be perception. I would not want others in the meeting to think that I was text'ing and typing emails during the meeting because I was taking notes on my BB.

roofus 12-15-2008 12:28 PM

I still use a filofax. I have never found a pda or smartphone that comes close to replacing a paper diary.

mgerbasio 12-15-2008 06:06 PM

Notes before and after a meeting go on the blackberry. I use ideaMatrix for all my job notes. When I'm done I generally email them to the participants as needed. I'll then create tasks from the notes using todoMatrix. If I don't have time to get all that done, I'll put an alert date on the notes so I don't forget to get to them later.

Regards-Michael G.

kjjb0204 12-15-2008 07:13 PM

Definitely paper. My BB doesn't come out of the holster when I'm in a meeting. As 341 mentioned, perception would be that I'm answering emails and not paying attention.

mgerbasio 12-16-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjjb0204 (Post 1210629)
Definitely paper. My BB doesn't come out of the holster when I'm in a meeting. As 341 mentioned, perception would be that I'm answering emails and not paying attention.

Yes, I'm sensitive to that too. I feel like customers pay us a lot of money and I don't like interrupting face time, rarely take calls or answer my email when I'm with them. I put my BB on quiet in meetings (really want auto profile changes!). I'll let them know I'm using it to take notes.
Project meetings are a little different where there are many trades and although I need to pay attention, answering email is acceptable so note taking isn't a big deal. Still, the BB works much better for me in meetings and note taking in general.

Regards-Michael G.

Fletchi18 12-16-2008 10:31 AM

The BB is too limiting for me in meetings. Sometimes I'll have lists, sometimes I'll need to sketch a quick diagram, etc. So, pen and paper work just fine.

radimus 12-16-2008 10:05 PM

Wirelessly posted (8700c)

Years back I quit taking notes on paper and jotted them down into Word documents on Pocket PC's. Now I do the same on the BB with Memopad, but will go back to Word files once I get Documents to Go upgraded.

takeshi 12-17-2008 10:33 AM

I try to use the BB but end up with pen & paper sometimes.

cmjones66 12-17-2008 01:03 PM

I definitely use paper to take notes with in a meeting. I've tried taking them with my Palm PDA (before I got my BB), and couldn't keep up with everything. I'll go back to my office afterward and organize everything before adding it to my BB.

djm2 12-17-2008 01:31 PM

Split decision for me. Under most circumstances I use paper. Some of the time -- especially during telecons as opposed to face-to-face meetings, I will attach a small keyboard to the BB and enter notes directly. If a face-to-face is with colleagues or very close clients then the BB/Keyboard combo may be used. Keyboard is a necessity; I couldn't keep up with just my thumbs.