BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Carrier Specific Issues (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   unlocked T-mobile 8500 works on Rogers but not in US with Rogers SIM (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=214629)

rollerkitty 12-23-2009 03:37 AM

unlocked T-mobile 8500 works on Rogers but not in US with Rogers SIM

Hey All,

I bought an 8500 from T-mobile when I was living in the US. When I moved back to Canada I asked for (and was given) the unlock code. My phone works great on the Rogers network in Canada, however I can no longer get it to work on the US, even when I select AT&T manually (the carrier that Rogers has a roaming deal with). This includes all functions - phone line, my BB data service, etc. What can I do to fix this?

m.

dankarlinski 12-23-2009 06:47 AM

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Keep network selection on auto. Don't do manual.

What messages do you get when you are in the US? And are you sure its US roaming?

rollerkitty 12-23-2009 08:24 AM

Whether I try manual or auto, I get the same result. The signal indicator has a red X over top of it and it says "SOS".

dc/dc 12-23-2009 08:46 AM

Is your Rogers SIM provisioned for international roaming?

Noodle22 12-23-2009 02:30 PM

You should get an sms when you go into the US prompting you to purchase a roaming package and letting you know of possible roaming charges.

If your not getting this, then there is definately an issue. As dc/dc already asked, is it provisioned for international roaming?

rollerkitty 12-25-2009 08:07 AM

thanks! it turns out Rogers was supposed to have turned off the block on international roaming that they put on all new subscribers for the first 3 months, but for some reason they didn't for me... so they say it has been lifted now. I won't know for sure if everything's working OK until the next time I'm in the US, but hopefully it should be OK

dc/dc 12-25-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollerkitty (Post 1534738)
thanks! it turns out Rogers was supposed to have turned off the block on international roaming that they put on all new subscribers for the first 3 months, but for some reason they didn't for me... so they say it has been lifted now. I won't know for sure if everything's working OK until the next time I'm in the US, but hopefully it should be OK

Ok great! Let us know how it works out next time you're down our way.

tom0100 12-30-2009 03:38 PM

USA and Canada border

Traveling to (or living near) Canadian or American borders can be difficult. Your phone will frequently pickup the strongest signal (USA tower or Canadian). I have been to cities where Canada is just across a river, lake (you name it) and the phone attempts to connect to the Canadian tower because it thinks I've gone International (because I have this 'feature' activated on my account)...well this creates a big bill for me. I'll rather stick with a weaker American tower near the border because it's INCLUDED and is not international. I would contact the phone company to clarify that the phone will go international correctly. A friend of mine had his international calling turned off because he always connected to Canada (when near the border) and he had HUGE bills BUT he was never actually IN Canada...their signal was just stronger near the borders.

dc/dc 12-30-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom0100 (Post 1537829)
Traveling to (or living near) Canadian or American borders can be difficult. Your phone will frequently pickup the strongest signal (USA tower or Canadian). I have been to cities where Canada is just across a river, lake (you name it) and the phone attempts to connect to the Canadian tower because it thinks I've gone International (because I have this 'feature' activated on my account)...well this creates a big bill for me. I'll rather stick with a weaker American tower near the border because it's INCLUDED and is not international. I would contact the phone company to clarify that the phone will go international correctly. A friend of mine had his international calling turned off because he always connected to Canada (when near the border) and he had HUGE bills BUT he was never actually IN Canada...their signal was just stronger near the borders.

Your post is not related to this topic. Thanks!