BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Network (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Verizon help (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2110)

brandon 01-06-2005 12:05 AM

Verizon help

OK, I got my BB 7750 mainly to have my contact information, scheduler and some email but the fact that every other carrier seems to allow web access without a corporate BES makes me want it too. Oh, and the fact that the salespeople were so insistant that I should get an unlimited data plan for $40+ (how many emails could I possibly read for that?).

Anyway, I'm willing to pay for the data plan, but need instruction from someone as to what to do to get an internet access and IMing, etc. Do I need the unlimited plan (or any data plan, for that matter) if I use a BES hosting service? I'm planning on calling Verizon again to bug their tech guys, but after resigning up with my service I always need to take a braek between phone calls. I think their coverage is the best but their customer service makes me want to leave them every time I talk to them!

peerboerner 02-16-2005 01:35 PM

I couldn't agree more!

Love Verizon coverage but hate their customer service, usually, as well! I'm trying to figure the same thing out - how do I get IM and web browsing.

Well, here's what I've learned: Apparently with Verizon, you MUST have access to either a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) or an MDS / MDG gateway to rely information in HTTP or other protocol that sits "above" TCP/IP with your handheld device. It seems the services provide by Verizon do not handle these protocols. However, according to other threads I've read (one at the pdaapps.com website), getting a 3rd party BES / MDS gateway provider can solve this problem. I'm currently trying to research MyBlueberry.com and a few of the others. It appears that the 3rd party server can "encode" and "decode" (to show my lack of understanding here) the protocols required to communicate with services like IM, web servers, etc.

Hope that sheds a little light on the topic for you.

Peer

Paisan 02-23-2005 02:46 PM

i've been using myblueberry.com on verizon for a few months. works great. with v4.0 of the software VW said it should allow browser access.

-mike

peerboerner 02-24-2005 08:21 AM

Paisan - Thanks... and another question

Thanks for the feedback.

Here's a question - for the $10.00 / month that myblueberry wants, what do I get? Is is just the MDS gateway service on their servers or do they provide some software for my blackberry as well? The reason I ask, I have downloaded and would like to play with the verichat application and require the MDS service to do so. The question: Does myblueberry provide a blackberry browser or do I need to find and buy one of those as well? (My blackberry from VW in Tampa,Florida does not have a web browser).

Thanks again for your input here.

PS: I tried asking the folks at Myblueberry this question, but thier customer service site kept giving me a 500 Server Error - not at all good in this business!

Thanks again.

Mark Rejhon 02-24-2005 09:08 AM

If your 7750 is still within its money-back-guarantee period, see if you are able to return your 7750 immediately and get the 7250. You should still have time to do this, if you do this quickly within your money-back period (if Verizon has given you one). It has a built-in Internet stack (TCP/IP) which makes MDS unnecessary.
  • The 7750 is SLOW, has a lot of lagging.
  • The 7250 is much FASTER, no lag.
  • Built-in TCP/IP stack (makes MSN possible) run your Internet software with no need for MDS
  • Twice the memory.
  • Better screen with 2-step backlight.
  • Improved thumb keyboard
  • Bluetooth connectivity
  • Much better 1X performance (dedicated hardware chip now).
  • Software upgradeable to EV-DO
No need for MyBlueberry, no need for BES/MDS, if all you need is to run Verichat. Verichat runs great on the 7250 "out-of-the-box"![/list]
However, if you are stuck with your 7750, and need more information about BES, check out the Hosted BES FAQ.

sledge 02-25-2005 11:17 AM

Actually it looks like the TCP/IP stack is working on Verizon now without BES/MDS. I had been using myblueberry.com service for a while and have wiping my device every couple of weeks to see if it works without it. As of yesterday, if I load the 4.0 OS from Verizons wireless data support side the browser is enabled and I can get on the internet just fine.

However, I do get some problems with third party apps connecting to the internet. It comes back and says "Protocol not found: null". Any ideas?

llama 02-25-2005 06:21 PM

I have the same issue, and am glad to see the browser there, but there is no longer an TCP section under Options on the device (Thanks VZW), so I assume it's a new Verizon feature.

Mark Rejhon 02-25-2005 06:24 PM

sledge, are you using a model 7750 ...?
Which third party Internet applications work?

llama 02-25-2005 06:52 PM

I'm nto sledge...but I am using a 7750. No 3rd party applications work for me...only Verizon's browser.

aja 02-26-2005 07:47 PM

verizon and their bberry coverage...

or lack thereof...
I bought a 7750, and had it for about a day... It's slow, and until the day I got rid of it, it had no web access at all. Apparently they released a web browser for it. The big screen is nice, but the rest of it is useless. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
They gave me a 7250 to fix the web access issue. I am much more impressed with this one. It does what I need it to do, and it has all the access I need in order to perform my job function from wherever I am.

pdecrem 03-28-2005 08:54 PM

7250 and blackberry browser

i have a verizon blackberry 7250. There are two browsers on it an internet browser (which works) and a blackberry browser (which does not). I am using os 4.0 with the web client. Somehow verichat and http demo application does not work. "failed to transmit". Does it work for anyone with the same setup? Any ideas about the account not set up properly and how to fix it?

Thanks

GfunkinNY 05-01-2005 02:32 AM

Hey, ive been reading what you guy have been talking about with verizon and still trying to catch on. I've called their customer service about 20 times and every phone call i get a different opinion. So, ill just go ahead and ask here. I'm always on the run and want to use AIM instant messaging with my Verizon 7250 BB (I purchased IM+) . Now, what packages, software, whatever, do I need so that I can IM and not worry about using up thousands of text messages. From what Verizon is telling me, Instant Messages count as a text message and that I should just get the 2,000 text message plan, and dont need a data package? But clearly, I am not satisfied with that solution.
Please some help and thoughts.

rushinge 06-09-2005 09:08 PM

I've been wondering kind of the same thing myself. I have a data plan basically. I don't use the voice phone at all (hard-of-hearing). I currently have a 10mb data only plan and I have sucessfully installed IM+ and have used that several times without activating an enterprise server. My concern is how much data that IM+ is using. I have been avoiding it's use because I don't know. I wish there were some way to check in with verizon to see how much data you have used. Like in some phones you can dial a number and it tells you how many minuites are left in your plan but I havn't found a way to check yet. I'm sure they'd rather people ran over and paid more rather than knowing how much they have left. :razz: also I was under the impression that SMS messages were included in the data plan but some people have said that they are separate so I don't know which it is now.

gouldhill 06-17-2005 09:07 PM

Looking For Some General Direction Please

Like others new to the Blackberry community as well as to this forum and with the goal of implementing a great solution for our users I have spent time reading posts and RIM documentation. While I have learned much more by reading your posts than simply what the sales and RIM documentation can provide I still feel a little lost in the woods and I am hoping for some general direction from some of you experienced Blackberry/BES/Verizon users. So here goes.

Our company is going to use the Blackberry device for mobile e-mail and hopefully Internet and corporate data services for our mobile users. Most users are not familar with push technology nor should they really have too however this statement is a way of saying that we want to keep things as easy and straight foward for our users. The IT configuration and management is another issue.

Our service needs are:
1. e-mail delivered to their devices through our MS Exchange Server 2003 system.
2. The user's e-mail receiving and sending address is the same as their MS Exchange address - i.e., [email address].
3. Full and timely access to their Outlook 2003 schedules, contacts etc.
4. Blackberry and Outlook 2003 are always in sync without redundant updating of data.
5. Internet accessability from their Blackberry for businss related public web sites as well as our companies internal web sites.

Equipment and Services To Be Used:
1. Verizon will be our data service providers using the Unlimited Data Usage service plan.
2. BlackBerry 7250 or 7750 device. We will also be using these devices as cell phones as well through Verizon.
3. BES

Our Corporate IT Infastructure Is:
1. MS Windows 2003 Server
2. MS Exchange Server 2003
3. All Clients use MS XP Pro with MS Office 2003 including Outlook 2003
4. Dedicated T1 line protected by firewall (hardware) and Symantec Enterprise Security products.

So my questions are - based on the company running BES in-house:
1. Will the user be able to send and receive e-mail from their BlackBerry using their corporate e-mail address?
2. Will their e-mails be received within a short period of time - like the native carrier.blackberry.com e-mail or will it be the delayed type that I have been reading about?
3. Along with question 2 will the users MS Outlook data - contacts, appointments etc. also be updated within a short period of time?
4. Will the users be able to access the public Internet without our company having to purchase any other services from Verizon? If they can will this be through capabilities through the BES and will this web access time still be considered Data Access to Verizon?
5. BES seems to be the key for most of the questions that I have posted here - am I on the right track?

I realize that a number of these question pertain more towards the BES thread but I thought that after reading the threads on this forum one of you might have more specific insight and/or advise for us.

Grateful for anyone's assistance.

southwestcomm 06-18-2005 10:52 PM

Why don't you contact Verizon and have a sales rep visit you. They should be able to answer all your questions.

gouldhill 06-19-2005 01:48 AM

Verizon Interest Level In Our Company

We went that direction and through our Verizon business services manager we called them. He/She gave us the phone number of someone in their company that could provide us with more information. This "contact" knew the Verizon marketing brochure but that was about it so we trying to "get to the right person" at Verizon - without success. So if we want to order the devices with a one or two year contract then give them a call. I do not know if this is indicative of their pre-sales support services around the country but in the Washington, D.C. area this is what it is.

southwestcomm 07-01-2005 06:43 PM

My only other advice is find a carrier that truly wants your business and will support your needs. Appears Verizon does not.

smack_bb 07-04-2005 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
No need for MyBlueberry, no need for BES/MDS, if all you need is to run Verichat. Verichat runs great on the 7250 "out-of-the-box"

for some reason i cannot recieve phone calls when i am on verichat. it just sends the caller directly to my voicemail. i have verizon and a BB 7250.

mrudge 05-26-2007 01:29 AM

So from what I'm seeing here:

If you have a 7750, run away... run far, far away
or,
Deal with the issues.

But getting back to Brandon's original question, I have a 7750 on Verizon, and yes, everyone wants me to sign-up for the extra $45 per month for unlimited due to something that the BB does re: constantly checking-in with the mother ship. Verizon says the BB "doesn't work well" with that function disabled/slowed/etc., but has anyone here had any luck with the non-unlimited plan? I really only plan on using basic, basic stuff on this (not a huge BB web-surfer and I don't NEED immediate e-mails).

If anyone can help me with this, I'd appreciate it.
mrudge

Doordie 05-26-2007 06:49 AM

Hey I just signed up and was and hope to be in the same boat as you all here. I have a dysfunctional 7250 and am trying to get fixed if I can. I was also looking into a way to text without it costing a small fortune so anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that If I find out anything I'll let you all know. I'll be watching this thread as well. Thanks for posting in here. It's been very insightful. (y)