BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Network (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   BIS 2.0 real time delivery? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=31338)

havaloc 04-08-2006 03:19 PM

BIS 2.0 real time delivery?

Hi, I was reading through the the BIS 2.0 manuals at Blackberry.com, and it suggests that the 15 minute poll time may be a thing of the past, depending on "implementation by your email provider".

I can't post the link, but the link is in this thread titled Cingular BIS upgrade.

2.0 has a lot of exciting features, such as better synchronization with IMAP (read/unread/delete), but the real time thing may be the most exciting thing. Does it work with IMAP IDLE or something similar? Can someone shed some light on it?

Also, is/will Verizon upgrade(d) to 2.0?

d_fisher 04-09-2006 12:12 AM

BIS does sound pretty exciting for non-BES and BES users alike. Will Verizon upgrade? Hard to say, but I would expect them to upgrade at some point in time.

gdpmumin 04-09-2006 08:35 AM

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

Verizon's upgrade launches tomorrow officially, but it's available now. Some users have reported a little trouble upgrading their service, and Verizon says that on Monday that should stop. They basically put it up over the weekend for test purposes.

Berry One 04-09-2006 08:47 AM

It is still 15 minute poll for most accounts.

BIS 2.0 should be same service as T-Mobile uses: http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase...c/tm22645.htm?

gdpmumin 04-09-2006 09:09 AM

Yes, unless your e-mail provider notifies the BIS that there's a new message. Then BIS will go and immediately pull the new message. There's no indication of what providers can notify BIS. Just to test it, I added one of my mailSnare accounts to BIS (I usually just have it forwarded) and so far I haven't received the test message I sent. So I'm assuming mailSnare isn't one of the providers that notifies BIS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berry One
It is still 15 minute poll for most accounts.

BIS 2.0 should be same service as T-Mobile uses: http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase...c/tm22645.htm?

havaloc 04-09-2006 09:42 PM

Verizon is upgrading this Monday, however, I've looked all over and cannot find out what RIM needs for real time (besides enterprise).

The manual for 2.0 says: Depending on the email providers implementation...either 15 minutes...or downloads immediately.

Only thing I can think of is IMAP IDLE, but other than that, I'm at a loss and there just isn't any information on it.

southwestcomm 04-09-2006 09:57 PM

Is "real time" vs. 15 minutes that big a deal?

havaloc 04-09-2006 10:05 PM

Yes, it is. Especially if you were to enter a brief email conversation (reply, reply sent, wait...wait).

Quote:

Originally Posted by southwestcomm
Is "real time" vs. 15 minutes that big a deal?

gdpmumin 04-09-2006 10:18 PM

Wirelessly posted (7130e VZW: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote:

Originally Posted by havaloc
Verizon is upgrading this Monday, however, I've looked all over and cannot find out what RIM needs for real time (besides enterprise).

The manual for 2.0 says: Depending on the email providers implementation...either 15 minutes...or downloads immediately.

Only thing I can think of is IMAP IDLE, but other than that, I'm at a loss and there just isn't any information on it.

Apparently some providers will send a notice to your BIS saying there is a new message, at which point your BIS will immediately go and download the new message. No telling what providers do this, but I'm guessing not many right now. So functionally, this won't be much different in the new BIS until more providers implement the necessary notification.

And the 15 minute delay might not be a big deal most of the time, but when you need immediate access, you really need immediate access. So if that's a necessary part of your BB needs and you're not using BES, you might consider forwarding to your BIS rather than have BIS poll your accounts.

dyzs 04-09-2006 10:43 PM

Yahoo email accounts and ISP's that have tied their email into yahoo such as Rogers in Canada will notify BIS. I'm not sure who else does.

Postalrecon 04-09-2006 11:17 PM

what about mac mail??

southwestcomm 04-10-2006 06:34 PM

Quote:

Yes, it is. Especially if you were to enter a brief email conversation (reply, reply sent, wait...wait).

Are you sending to another BB user? Pin to Pin is a much better option.

gdpmumin 04-10-2006 06:48 PM

Wirelessly posted (7130e VZW: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I'm sure he probably knows that but that isn't what this thread covers so it's not applicable here.

gdpmumin 04-10-2006 07:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I'm sure he probably knows that but that isn't what this thread covers so it's not applicable here.

whsbuss 04-11-2006 06:04 PM

I will try to look and see if there's anything regarding BIS notification from a remote email server. I would think there's some protocol or IMAP comand that does this. I'll post if I find anything.

vadim 04-12-2006 09:53 PM

so when can we expect this BIS 2.0 on cingular? Funny thing is, emails sent to my gmail box are delivered instantly to my BB. So are we on 2.0 already? Is gmail sending that notification to the current BIS?

dan1431 04-13-2006 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vadim
so when can we expect this BIS 2.0 on cingular? Funny thing is, emails sent to my gmail box are delivered instantly to my BB. So are we on 2.0 already? Is gmail sending that notification to the current BIS?

Do you have gmail setup to foward mail to your blackberry or are you saying that gmail automatically fowards mail from your inbox to your berry?

vadim 04-14-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1431
Do you have gmail setup to foward mail to your blackberry or are you saying that gmail automatically fowards mail from your inbox to your berry?

No it's not setup to be forwared BIS is setup to pull it from there and I get it on my BB within seconds of delivery into gmail. Once again, no forwarding!

whsbuss 04-14-2006 11:59 AM

Quote:

No it's not setup to be forwared BIS is setup to pull it from there and I get it on my BB within seconds of delivery into gmail. Once again, no forwarding!

I setup my gmail account on the new BIS. I like the fact it knows Gmail is SSL on port 993 automatically. I sent a few emails,and although its not instant, I did receive them within a few minutes instead of waiting for the next 15-min poll.

Need to do some additional testing. Someone mentioned that if the new BIS sees an interactive-type messaging on a POP account it will change its polling from the 15-min poll to a 2-3 min poll. Let you all know what I find.

whsbuss 04-14-2006 12:17 PM

Quote:

Well so much for that!

The Gmail mailbox does NOT do real-time sending to the new BIS. Same polling time of 15 minutes like all integrated email accounts. Also, there's no truth to the rumor that the BIS changes its polling time depending on email activity.

Forgot to mention that messages deleted on the BB does NOT delete them from Gmail. I still have all my test messages on the gmail account after deleting them on the BB. It does work on other POP/IMAP accounts though.