BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9800 Series Discussion - Torch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Torch Price Reduction, What's Your Take On This? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=233796)

wifiberry 08-18-2010 06:24 AM

Torch Price Reduction, What's Your Take On This?

Recently the new BlackBerry Torch was reduced in price.*

What's your take on both the price cut, and this model?

What do you predict it's future will be?

juwaack68 08-18-2010 07:16 AM

I predict it will be cheaper.

Love mine. Price reduction means nothing to me, in terms of device success.

whsbuss 08-18-2010 07:20 AM

You need to read a bit further on this. Amazon launched the torch at $99 from the get go. Being a price reduction is mis leading.

signem 08-18-2010 07:42 AM

Correct, I got it at Amazon first thing in the morning on August 12. And, the good thing is that it did not come with the same kind of contract restrictions imposed by Wirefly, who also started it at $99. I upgraded and my account already shows that my Premier discount is being applied.

I had asked ATT if I would be able to get a Premier discount on the device and they said no. I don't know if that has changed.

Dubdub 08-18-2010 08:02 AM

Make sure you read the fine print in the contract though. Amazon generally imposes some interesting restrictions such as if you make any changes to the plan/contract int he first 6 months, your CC will be billed for the full price of the device.

endure161 08-18-2010 08:32 AM

I did an upgrade through my Premier account and paid $199. In the past I bought other new devices from sources other than AT&T and had a lot of hassle if I needed to make any change to my plan or to return a device. Lack of the hassle is worth the extra $100 I spent...

knottyrope 08-18-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by endure161 (Post 1643254)
I did an upgrade through my Premier account and paid $199. In the past I bought other new devices from sources other than AT&T and had a lot of hassle if I needed to make any change to my plan or to return a device. Lack of the hassle is worth the extra $100 I spent...

Totally agree! (y)

signem 08-18-2010 12:24 PM

restrictions from Amazon wireless

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1643240)
Make sure you read the fine print in the contract though. Amazon generally imposes some interesting restrictions such as if you make any changes to the plan/contract int he first 6 months, your CC will be billed for the full price of the device.

I was dubious too, so I was quite careful to read the fine print. This was the only place I found where I was able to order the least expensive voice plan and $15 data plan. Here is what the website says:

AmazonWireless Instant Discount Policy
When you purchase your device with service from AmazonWireless.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you. This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes.

In my case, I have not made any changes to my service. ATT appears to be providing my Premier discount. We shall see. Even if it were that I could not get the discount, 6 months of the discount in addition to the $99 would still be less than the $199. AmazonWireless only asked me for my ATT account number and then worked it with ATT from there.

I'm optimistic.