BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Outlook Wireless Calender Sync (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=110470)

thelastcion 12-20-2007 05:03 PM

Outlook Wireless Calender Sync

Is there a way to have my Outlook Calender sync with my BB without having to mark myself as one of the attendies and have an e-mail sent to me?

djm2 12-20-2007 05:56 PM

I think we need a bit more information. BES or BIS, for starters.

thelastcion 12-20-2007 06:03 PM

OK, well there is problem #1. I have no idea what either of those are.

Let me tell you this. My e-mail is hosted through Go-Daddy and not in house. I don't have any type of Enterprise Server.

All I have is my e-mail pushed to my BB and relayed to Outlook.

As of now, if I set up a new appointment in Outlook, I can include myself as an attendie. I will then get an e-mail saying that I've been invited to a meeting, which will subsiquently update my the BB Calender. I just want to make sure that if I forget to add myself, that it will still get to me somehow.

thelastcion 12-23-2007 09:43 PM

No help out there?

Dubdub 12-23-2007 11:28 PM

The only way that I know of to get calendar info wirelessly with Outlook and the BB is to be on a BES or a hosted BES.

thelastcion 12-24-2007 04:58 PM

Ok, well I know I don't have a BES, or anything about it for that matter...

How involved is setting one up, and what does it take to maintain it?

Dubdub 12-24-2007 06:12 PM

I suggest you read the FAQ.. That will provide some good info.

thelastcion 12-24-2007 06:24 PM

I've read the FAQ and the associated info. What I am asking is if there is anyone out there that has actually delt with setting up a BES first hand. Because, most likely I will be the one administoring it.

Maybe some tips for a plan of attach...

Dubdub 12-24-2007 06:51 PM

How tech saavy are you? Do you have your own Exchange Server?

My guess is that it would be best if you go with a hosted BES solution if possible.

takeshi 12-25-2007 02:16 PM

Based on previous messages I wouldn't recommend setting up a BES server (you'd need an Exchange server as well anyway). Check into hosted BES service.

wu-wei 12-26-2007 05:46 AM

I've been using the Funambol Outlook plug-in (Funambol Mobile 2.0 Messaging Powered by Open Source) to sync my work calendar with ScheduleWorld (www.scheduleworld.com), then syncing ScheduleWorld with a separate folder in my Google Calendar. I keep my personal appointments in my default Google Calendar, and sync both to my 8800 with Google's new Sync app for the BB. I added the 'work' calendar to the Sync list, so I can see it on my BB, but cannot add new appointments to it (that's all done on my work Exchange server anyway).

That's a little kludgy, but I've got OTA syncing of my calendars without a BES.

I've replaced memos and tasks with IdeaMatrix and TodoMatrix, for a different OTA solution for those PIM modules. Still looking for a decent OTA contact sync solution, but those don't change often enough to really worry about.

thelastcion 12-27-2007 04:29 PM

See, that is way to much to have to go throgh just to get the calender working, and then you are limited with what you can do.

I am working on getting an exchange and BES...

Dawg 12-27-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelastcion (Post 787007)
See, that is way to much to have to go throgh just to get the calender working, and then you are limited with what you can do.

I am working on getting an exchange and BES...

if that was too much for you then setting up an exchange and BES will be like learning turkish from a spanish text book

thelastcion 12-27-2007 05:26 PM

lol, I just ment that setting up one thing, to sync to another, to sync to another and might send all information to the next. Thats all I meant...

wu-wei 12-27-2007 05:32 PM

I might also add that, in addition to being less work than managing Exchange and BES, my solution is FREE. And if you don't care about separating personal from work calendars, then you don't have to worry about any limits. Mine is self-imposed.

I can't deny that I've been tempted to go with my own hosted solution, though...