BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Email - junk mail. (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=191912)

tomosp 05-31-2009 09:11 AM

Email - junk mail.

I use Outlook on PC and spam mail gets sent to Junk Mail. All my mail is also sent to my BB 8820.
Is there a way to sort out the Junk mail on the BB please.

aiharkness 05-31-2009 10:07 AM

Wirelessly posted (8820)

The only think I know that you can do is set up keyword and address filters on BIS. But I don't see that as an eFficient solution.

I guess your email provider does not have a server level spam filter that you can enable?

JSanders 05-31-2009 10:07 AM

Asked and answered here hundreds of times...

The best way to deal with it is to filter spam on the server level.

For specific spammers, you can set filters on your BIS account.

AntAir Spam filter can help you also.

Those are your only real options.

jasbart 06-24-2009 12:28 PM

My business website and email are hosted by GoDaddy. They have a decent spam filter and message filter (two different processes) but for some unknown reason the filters go into effect after my mail is cc'd to my Blackberry. So none of this fancy filtering does my BB a bit of good. I sure would appreciate an effective spam filter for the Blackberry.

Jim

djm2 06-24-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasbart (Post 1414023)
My business website and email are hosted by GoDaddy. They have a decent spam filter and message filter (two different processes) but for some unknown reason the filters go into effect after my mail is cc'd to my Blackberry. So none of this fancy filtering does my BB a bit of good. I sure would appreciate an effective spam filter for the Blackberry.

Jim

Are you copying the email from the Godaddy account to a Blackberry-specific account, e.g., [email address]? If so, that might be part of the problem. Try reading the mail directly from the GoDaddy account using BIS.

jasbart 06-24-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1414136)
Are you copying the email from the Godaddy account to a Blackberry-specific account, e.g., [email address]? If so, that might be part of the problem. Try reading the mail directly from the GoDaddy account using BIS.

Yes, my mail is cc'd (originally GoDaddy called it "redirected") to [email address].

I don't understand what you mean by "reading the mail directly from the GoDaddy account using BIS." Can you elaborate?

Thanks very much, Jim

Dubdub 06-24-2009 08:39 PM

Many of us do not recommend using the carrier supplied email address "xxx@carrier.blackberry.net". One main reason is there is no SPAM filtering at all on tha account and could be the source of a lot of the SPAM you see. If that address gets harvested, you can be open for lots of it.

In addition, you cannot take that address with you when and if you change carriers.

And finally, the only way to read mail to that account is on the BB. in a data outage, no mail in or out.

jasbart 06-24-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1414193)
Many of us do not recommend using the carrier supplied email address "xxx@carrier.blackberry.net". One main reason is there is no SPAM filtering at all on tha account and could be the source of a lot of the SPAM you see. If that address gets harvested, you can be open for lots of it.

In addition, you cannot take that address with you when and if you change carriers.

And finally, the only way to read mail to that account is on the BB. in a data outage, no mail in or out.

I wasn't clear. The way my business email works is:
GoDaddy business email address is [email address].
All email that comes into GoDaddy/ [email address] is immediately cc'd to [email address].
In BIS I have it set so that the "reply to" for [email address] is [email address]
As far as I know, nobody sends any email to [email address]

I've had this setup for about 5 years. Everything works very well with the exception of the spam that's pushed to my BB. GoDaddy filters spam moderately well, but not before it cc's to my BB.

(My desktop, Outlook, polls GoDaddy every 5 minutes, so that's the other way I receive mail.)

(By the way, the reason why I get so much spam is from the fact that my business email address is public.)

Does anyone have a suggestion about routing mail through Gmail to take advantage of their excellent spam filters?

Thanks, Jim

daphne 06-25-2009 05:39 AM

Reportedly Gmail has good spam filters, but if your business emails have any sensitive data, consider the privacy and security issues with gmail. I have filters set up on BIS that help reduce the spam that gets through to my BB. There are some common words spammers use in the subject lines, like degree, diploma, watches, enhancement, enlargement, sex, xxxxxx and variations of the spelling, etc. I have all that filtered out but there is still some that gets through.

djm2 06-25-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasbart (Post 1414148)
Yes, my mail is cc'd (originally GoDaddy called it "redirected") to [email address].

I don't understand what you mean by "reading the mail directly from the GoDaddy account using BIS." Can you elaborate?

Thanks very much, Jim

If you log onto the AT&T BIS web site, you should be able to create a login for your GoDaddy account so that the emails are directly accessed through the business account as opposed to redirected to your Blackberry account. You would receive the mail after the GoDaddy spam filters have cleaned the mailbox. The bad thing in comparison to what you are doing now is that the mail would often be delayed somewhat, by up to a maximum of 15 minutes.

This is exactly what I do with my public business account to keep spam to a minimum, although that account is not a Godaddy account. I suspect that you will need to have all of the relevant ISP information in order to get it to work properly.

jasbart 06-25-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2 (Post 1414672)
If you log onto the AT&T BIS web site, you should be able to create a login for your GoDaddy account so that the emails are directly accessed through the business account as opposed to redirected to your Blackberry account. You would receive the mail after the GoDaddy spam filters have cleaned the mailbox. The bad thing in comparison to what you are doing now is that the mail would often be delayed somewhat, by up to a maximum of 15 minutes.

This is exactly what I do with my public business account to keep spam to a minimum, although that account is not a Godaddy account. I suspect that you will need to have all of the relevant ISP information in order to get it to work properly.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but isn't this "pulling" the email from the GoDaddy site, as opposed to having the email "pushed" to the Blackberry? The whole reason for having a Blackberry is the "push" nature of the email. Why have a Blackberry if you don't receive email in a timely manner?

I appreciate your efforts, but I think it's high time that Blackberry comes up with an effective spam filter, other than the highly ineffective one on BIS.

Jim

djm2 06-25-2009 01:56 PM

No, it is still push because the BB is not initiating the request. RIM servers periodically poll the different accounts, and if and only if mail is available then it is pushed to the device. The difference is that in a polling environment the handheld would initiate the contact with the server and burn battery power, perhaps needlessly.

Have you tried the Antair spam product? Alternatively, install your own Exchange server and get BES services. Of course, you'll need to filter spam at the Exchange server as well.

Edit: While I have BES and get mail pretty much instantly on the BES-tied account, it is an interesting comment on contemporary life that 15 minutes is "too long" to wait for email when out of the office. I'm not sure it is an entirely healthy trend.

akosnitzky 08-01-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rr1455 (Post 1442337)
HI,
I am getting over 300 emails a day, and about 10% are good....
We are doing a review on the best way to take care of this problem on what is new We have found 2 program priced at $29.00 and $49.00 each... Looking for me to test... Any comments would be great....

Roger

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1442342