BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   7250 Ev-do (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=5538)

Von Maestro 11-08-2005 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlopatin
Browsing is much faster. you still can't tether right now.

Any questions? please ask.

Just one question... when (or if) will I be able to tether & use my 7250 as a high-speed modem??

jlopatin 11-08-2005 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Maestro
Just one question... when (or if) will I be able to tether & use my 7250 as a high-speed modem??

you got me!

I have no idea... I don't work for, nor am I in any way affiliated with Verizon.

I am just a simple Verizon customer.

Mark Rejhon 11-08-2005 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjharary
Pardon my ignorance, whats faster? evdo or edge?

EVDO definitely. But EDGE isn't too shabby. It's frequently a comparision between 20 and 50 kilobytes per second downloads. (That's full bytes, as in 8 bits per byte.) Webpages will usually look similiar because most handheld devices don't have CPU's fast enough to render webpages fast enough to differentiate between EDGE and EVDO...

jlopatin 11-09-2005 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As promised... here is a picture!

It was taken with a camera phone, so I apologize about the quality...

whsbuss 11-09-2005 06:27 PM

Quote:

As promised... here is a picture!

It was taken with a camera phone, so I apologize about the quality...

Nice theme. That come with the upgrade?

jlopatin 11-09-2005 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whsbuss
Nice theme. That come with the upgrade?

That is just the default 7250 theme. There is a decepticon logo in the background, but otherwise nothing special.

KonTiki 11-09-2005 08:06 PM

Who is your provider that has EV-DO already operational.

jlopatin 11-09-2005 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonTiki
Who is your provider that has EV-DO already operational.

I have Verizon. It has not been rolled out for users. I don't work for them. I just managed to get it. Please don't ask me how. I don't have all the improvements of evdo. I can get voice calls while browsing or using IM, but i am not getting EVDO speeds while using the internet. The cNet bandwidth test said I was getting 150k download speeds. Not very good... I am assuming that i might need new service books.

The good news is that it will be coming out for sure. And I think it will be soon!

If there are any other tests you want me to try, please let me know.

Boy Genius 11-09-2005 11:36 PM

BlackBerry 7250 has faster internet than any BlackBerry excluding the 8700 in it's current state. I am almost positive the 7250 uses 1X which is around 30kpbs, compared to GPRS at like 4kbps. I used 7250 for months, then went back to 7290 on Cingular because Verizon took too long to send PIN messages and emails...

BadBoyBill 11-10-2005 01:00 AM

I do work at vzw and like i said in another thread we went to a training for the 7130 and other products. At no time was there talk of evdo for the blackberry there. Doesnt mean its not true they keep store reps as much out of the loop as customers until they decide a release date" They dont want us to tell customers to come back another day". One thing i can tell you is the tech department in stores in our reigon are not allowed touch any data devices so i doubt the update will be done at the store. When the treo 600 had an update a few months ago we sent customers to the palm website to download the update. If i hear anything i will be sure to let you guys know!

jlopatin 11-10-2005 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boygenius
BlackBerry 7250 has faster internet than any BlackBerry excluding the 8700 in it's current state. I am almost positive the 7250 uses 1X which is around 30kpbs, compared to GPRS at like 4kbps. I used 7250 for months, then went back to 7290 on Cingular because Verizon took too long to send PIN messages and emails...

the 7250 will soon be using EVDO. Mine already is.

Verizon is still doing testing.

I have been noticing decreased battery life since i started using evdo... I will try to monitor this closely today, and keep you all posted.

audit 11-11-2005 07:48 PM

What firmware/os are you running to get EDVO on your verizon 7250 and where can I download it? The area that I'll be in this weekend is heavy EDVO so I'd like to see if my BB get's it.

KonTiki 11-11-2005 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audit
What firmware/os are you running to get EDVO on your verizon 7250 and where can I download it? The area that I'll be in this weekend is heavy EDVO so I'd like to see if my BB get's it.

I too wish we could download to start playing with it but he clearly states:" Please don't ask me how. I don't have all the improvements of evdo." So he is not going to divulge his sources lest he hangs for it, it seems.

tomryan 11-12-2005 08:06 AM

Quote:

I too wish we could download to start playing with it but he clearly states:" Please don't ask me how. I don't have all the improvements of evdo." So he is not going to divulge his sources lest he hangs for it, it seems.

I don't particular care where to download it from, but I'd like to know the os version.

Not that I don't believe what you showed us wasn't a photoshopped markup, I am not really interested in EVDO, I am more interested in an OS update (4.1 provides the ability to hide sent messages in the mail view among other, what I consider necessary, improvements)

jlopatin 11-12-2005 08:59 AM

I am using the Telus 4.02 software.

This version gives a data connection refused message as soon as it tries to connect to the EVDO network.

Some people did not get this issue. I live in downtown Chicago. Perhaps it ison for testing here or something. According to the Verizon wireless data techs that I spoke to, blackberry EVDO is still in internal testing only.

The secret is how I got past that. And you're right I don't want to hang. so, enough questions. (although I just gave you a TON of hints...) :)

Also... I may not have thousands of posts, but I have been here a while, and if you look over my previous posts, You'll find that I offer assistance, and ask decent questions. I think I am okay to trust. Besides, I STINK at photoshop!

-j

tomryan 11-12-2005 07:51 PM

Quote:

This version gives a data connection refused message as soon as it tries to connect to the EVDO network.

Some people did not get this issue. I live in downtown Chicago. Perhaps it ison for testing here or something. According to the Verizon wireless data techs that I spoke to, blackberry EVDO is still in internal testing only.

The secret is how I got past that. And you're right I don't want to hang. so, enough questions. (although I just gave you a TON of hints...) :)

Also... I may not have thousands of posts, but I have been here a while, and if you look over my previous posts, You'll find that I offer assistance, and ask decent questions. I think I am okay to trust. Besides, I STINK at photoshop!

-j

I know about the TELUS "upgrade".. I was just hoping you had something like OS 4.1 from Verizon and that was what they were going to release WHEN they release :)

mike01svt 11-12-2005 11:08 PM

so when does sprint come out with the evdo for the 7250

Tennvol 11-13-2005 06:37 PM

I ended up getting a new 7250 today since my 14 day old one decided to die somehow. I asked the Verizon rep if the 7250 will be EVDO capable. He stated no but there is a new model comming out which will be EVDO but would not tell me when/what model.

stonent 11-13-2005 09:22 PM

There's a dead horse here in need of a beating.

corporate 11-15-2005 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonent
There's a dead horse here in need of a beating.

Let me finish squeezing water from this stone and I'll be right over there to help.

p_dizzo 11-15-2005 10:28 PM

well, it's been announced that ev-do is here in western canada from bell as of today, haven't tested out the ev-do lineup models as quoted by bell yet, but the telus software isn't doing anything for me. i'll keep y'all posted on how the sanyo 8300 turns out with ev-do, and i'm guessing we're more then likely going to need 4.1 before the 7250 becomes useful on ev-do.

evandt 11-16-2005 07:18 AM

I'm starting to seriously doubt that the 7250 will ever get it. I think it would already be confirmed for release or at least documented, but every time we real anything from an official source, be it verizon or rim, there is no mention whatsoever of ev-do for our phone. oh well, better luck next time

bperkins 11-16-2005 09:42 AM

The 7250 will receive EVDO (http://bradperkins.typepad.com/7250_EVDO.jpg) probably shortly after they release the 7130e which will also have it....http://tinypic.com/faa9l4.jpg

KonTiki 11-16-2005 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bperkins
The 7250 will receive EVDO (http://bradperkins.typepad.com/7250_EVDO.jpg) probably shortly after they release the 7130e which will also have it....http://tinypic.com/faa9l4.jpg

The fact that a device is compatible does not mean that the carrier will activate it. Specially when they have a few other newer devices that are coming off the assembly line with it. It is all a matter of econimics and profits. Why would I activate your feature on the old phone that I cannot make any more money on when I can sell you a new one that will have it. Regardless of the fact that when they activate it they will still charge you more for the service.

In simple terms:

Old device + New EVDO service charge = XXX.XX
New Device + New EVDO Service Charge = 2(XXX.XX)

So my friends wait for the 7130e or the 8700 before you see EVDO.

DaveMode 11-16-2005 08:12 PM

<deleted my post>

Ominx 11-18-2005 10:55 PM

Quote:

-j

I'm guessing you don't want to share how you get past this "data connection refused message"?

I'm really loving the 4.02 software, but would love it a little more if I can get evdo. Want to give any more hints?

wags 11-19-2005 09:23 AM

7130 will be released on monday!

tomryan 11-21-2005 07:24 AM

7130e software is on verizon's site / no update to 7250

the 7130e's 4.1 software is now on verizon's site.. lets hope we soon get an update for the 7250.

Sivicfied 11-21-2005 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags
7130 will be released on monday!

Yes it is and I am getting mine by Wed. With the discounts they are offering with the bundled min/data plan we are getting it for less then $75 (which includes corporate discounts) and tethering is another $15. How ever I will try without the option and see what happens.

ddemarco1 11-21-2005 04:34 PM

So the question is can you load the 7130e V. 4.1, on the 7250?

jlopatin 11-21-2005 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddemarco1
So the question is can you load the 7130e V. 4.1, on the 7250?

not a chance.

k0an 11-21-2005 09:10 PM

first post...

Hi Everyone, first post on this forum.

I got my 7250 from Sprint in September and I'm a huge fan. The sales guy who sold it to me messed up and put SMS and Voice Command on there even though I never agreed. So I called him today and he got the charges reversed. Then he told me he was forced to upgrade my $10/month data plan to $15/month because he said my phone is EVDO.

That is what brought me to the forums to research this.

Anyways, I just downloaded OS 4.02 from Sprint's site.

Can someone tell me how to get on EVDO? One thing is that I live on the outskirts of the Bay Area (California) so I might not be in the EVDO area. I do go to San Francisco for work at least once a week so I figure I will be going through the EVDO network at least at some point.

KonTiki 11-21-2005 11:33 PM

Verizon Just released the EVDO upgrade software and I installed it. How sweet it is IXEV. You have to prior to installing it call Verizon and have them activate the broadband access connect on your plan otherwise the upgrade will not work. Verizon tech I spoke to did not know anything about what I was talking about but I managed to have her kick me up the ladder until someone helped me but I had to insist a greadt deal. Bottom line it is here it is sweet and it flies.

tobenning 11-22-2005 12:03 AM

Quote:

Verizon Just released the EVDO upgrade software and I installed it. How sweet it is IXEV. You have to prior to installing it call Verizon and have them activate the broadband access connect on your plan otherwise the upgrade will not work. Verizon tech I spoke to did not know anything about what I was talking about but I managed to have her kick me up the ladder until someone helped me but I had to insist a greadt deal. Bottom line it is here it is sweet and it flies.

Any chance there is a link to the software?

Thanks

KonTiki 11-22-2005 12:13 AM

Here is the link notice you have to add the broadband access connect through verizon first before you can add the upgrade.

http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/vzw402

jlopatin 11-22-2005 07:55 AM

Quote:

you figured out what i did!!!

i just convinced them to do it a few weeks early!

animlmed 11-22-2005 08:19 AM

Uh, has anyone tried to do this without adding the upgraded Broadband access to their account? Will it leave the BB in a non working state?

KonTiki 11-22-2005 08:58 AM

Tech support has to intervene to fix it right now you should be getting an error that says unable to connect.

stonent 11-22-2005 09:09 AM

What did they charge you for adding broadband access to the account?

supermanfan 11-22-2005 09:14 AM

Help me understand this. Is "Broadband Access Connect" intended for tethering? Do I have to add this feature to get EVDO on the 7250? Do I have to pay more monthly for this feature?

I am starting to get the idea that Verizon assumes that you would only use EVDO on a 7250 for tethering, therefore they are forcing you into adding this feature to you plan.

Please clarify....

(EDIT)

Never mind, saw this posting on another thread..

I am on the phone with VZW as I type and he has confirmed the EVDO firmware upgrade. You are not able to tether with this feature but it does enhance the browsing capabilities of the handheld along with the other features identified in the link above. There is no cost to add the BroadbandAccess Connect to your plan and it is NOT only for B2B customers. I'm getting set up now and will update in a moment with the outcome.

I'm excited like a kid on christmas...

PIN: 30061279

stonent 11-22-2005 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supermanfan
Help me understand this. Is "Broadband Access Connect" intended for tethering? Do I have to add this feature to get EVDO on the 7250? Do I have to pay more monthly for this feature?

I am starting to get the idea that Verizon assumes that you would only use EVDO on a 7250 for tethering, therefore they are forcing you into adding this feature to you plan.

Please clarify....

(EDIT)

Never mind, saw this posting on another thread..

I am on the phone with VZW as I type and he has confirmed the EVDO firmware upgrade. You are not able to tether with this feature but it does enhance the browsing capabilities of the handheld along with the other features identified in the link above. There is no cost to add the BroadbandAccess Connect to your plan and it is NOT only for B2B customers. I'm getting set up now and will update in a moment with the outcome.

I'm excited like a kid on christmas...

PIN: 30061279

What? I just got off the phone with Verizon and they told me it was $15 per month additional.

Maybe I'm talking to the wrong person. I originally called the main VZW line and they kept trying to transfer me and I kept getting hung up on. SO I then called their Business line and selected Blackberry/Treo/Data support and the guy didn't really seem to know but said he looked it up and it was an additional $15 per month.

If you can have the guy give you the exact "feature code" or whatever verizon calls it so that the others here can get it for free.

Dusty Saddle 11-22-2005 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonent
What? I just got off the phone with Verizon and they told me it was $15 per month additional.

Maybe I'm talking to the wrong person. I originally called the main VZW line and they kept trying to transfer me and I kept getting hung up on. SO I then called their Business line and selected Blackberry/Treo/Data support and the guy didn't really seem to know but said he looked it up and it was an additional $15 per month.

If you can have the guy give you the exact "feature code" or whatever verizon calls it so that the others here can get it for free.

The extra $15.00 is if you plan to use your BB as a modem for your laptop. If you are just using the bb then EVDO is free. The code is 71764.

barc24 11-22-2005 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Saddle
The extra $15.00 is if you plan to use your BB as a modem for your laptop. If you are just using the bb then EVDO is free. The code is 71764.

I just did the upgrade. Everything works great here. I called Tech Support to get the BroadbandAccess Connect. The guy I spoke with (James) made no mention to the extra $15 a month. He just said that I would be able to use it as a modem as well. We shall see....

Ominx 11-22-2005 10:31 AM

Just got off the phone with tech support myself. The rep said this was his first request so he put me on hold for a few minutes. When he came back he said I did not need the provision unless I was going to be using the BB as a tethered modem. He said go and load the 4.0.2 software, there should be no problem. So as far as I know, he made no changes to my account. I'm going to give it a shot and let you guys know what happens.

jlopatin 11-22-2005 10:43 AM

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 7250: BlackBerry7250/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I want to confirm that it only costs 15 extra if you want to tether. I also want to confirm that tethering works GREAT!

Ominx 11-22-2005 10:49 AM

Quote:

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 7250: BlackBerry7250/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I want to confirm that it only costs 15 extra if you want to tether. I also want to confirm that tethering works GREAT!

But...does someone at VZW have to make a change on the account if you don't want to tether?

stonent 11-22-2005 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ominx
But...does someone at VZW have to make a change on the account if you don't want to tether?

According to the guy I talked to you have to enable 71764 which updates the roaming list to allow roaming into EVDO coverage.

jlopatin 11-22-2005 11:33 AM

Okay guys! see, i told you EVDO was coming!

Maybe you'll believe me next time!!

I got around the data connection refused message previously by calling my provider, and convincing them that it was the only option to get my device working. It was a very long call, where i spoke to many supervisors, and I did not want to jinx it. Also, I didn't want them to see my posts and turn it off.

I apologize for not divulging my secrets before now.

-j

ngit 11-22-2005 12:11 PM

Display: 1X or EVDO?

I've updated my 7250 to software version 4.0.2.41 and called Verizon to have the EVDO added to my account. However, my tethering speeds seem slow and the display on the blackberry still says 1X. I would have thought it would say EVDO like my other EVDO enabled phone. I know that I am in an EVDO area. Can anyone confirm whether or not the display should still read 1X?

word2218 11-22-2005 12:38 PM

Quote:

The fact that a device is compatible does not mean that the carrier will activate it. Specially when they have a few other newer devices that are coming off the assembly line with it. It is all a matter of econimics and profits. Why would I activate your feature on the old phone that I cannot make any more money on when I can sell you a new one that will have it. Regardless of the fact that when they activate it they will still charge you more for the service.

In simple terms:

Old device + New EVDO service charge = XXX.XX
New Device + New EVDO Service Charge = 2(XXX.XX)

So my friends wait for the 7130e or the 8700 before you see EVDO.

haha, are you a convert now? 8-)

KonTiki 11-22-2005 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by word2218
haha, are you a convert now? 8-)

As long as they are not charging me, which they said they would not, yes then I guess I am, but to be honest if I had to pay extra for this, no way.

KonTiki 11-22-2005 01:04 PM

Quote:

You do need to enable the broadband access connect or EVDO wont work It is free as long as you are not going to tether, if you are going to use it as a moden there is a $15 charge per month.

The reps are not informet you have to push and if it comes to shove asked to be kicked to level 2 or 3 and they will do it right, I had a heck of a time with them last night.

Just do not install the software without them starting it, it says so at the site and there are already a couple of people here that tried it without and regreted that they did.

barc24 11-22-2005 01:09 PM

Will it show EVDO or just 1X after the upgrade if you are in a EVDO area? I did the upgrade but it still shows 1X...

Sixto5 11-22-2005 01:20 PM

Just to clarify ... currently have 7250 with Desktop Manager 4.0.0.30 with Handheld 4.0.0.204 ... have Blackberry plan with Verizon.

To get EVDO Support:

1) need to upgrade to Desktop Manager 4.1? this must be first?
2) need to then upgrade to Handheld 4.02?
3) If don't want tethering, need to call Verizon?
4) If don't want tethering, no need for $15 charge?

Just want to add EVDO to current 7250 with no tethering.

Thanks.

k0an 11-22-2005 01:20 PM

Sprint doesn't list 7250 as compatible

The guy I talked to said "Power Vision" (Sprint's name for EVDO) isn't listed as compatible with my phone. However, Sprint is now forcing me to pay for it as of yesterday!!!! So I am going to get to the bottom of this. I'm on hold, waiting to talk to a "Power Vision" specialist.

The first guy said 7250 doesn't support EVDO and I told him based on the forums I've been to it does. He said, well, you can play burned games on a Playstation but that doesn't make it right.... WTF????

k0an 11-22-2005 01:24 PM

Sprint's "Data 2" specialist?

I just got transferred again to a "Data 2" specialist... I'm waiting on hold.

Sprint really should have trained their employees before rolling this out. They are charging me money for it but they don't know how it works!

lenemery 11-22-2005 01:31 PM

rep tells me that 7250 will not display EVDO indicator because the 7250 os update "only emulates the 7130e" basically it's still a work in progress.

btw, some tech reps mistakenly have been told to have you install the 7130e os. that did'nt work or hurt.

Mark Rejhon 11-22-2005 01:37 PM

The 7250 upgrade is for real and it actually does enable EVDO on BlackBerry.

I assure you that the 7250 indeed has EVDO. It always have had an EVDO chip that was only running in 1X mode until now. You simply need to upgrade to BlackBerryOS 4.0.2.41 or later on Verizon. Sprint is simply a little behind on the details of this, but they should eventually catch up.

For more information, see detailed instructions:
How To Enable EVDO BroadbandAccess On Version BlackBerry 7250

k0an 11-22-2005 01:40 PM

I lose....

The "Data 2" Sprint specialist said that my 7250 is absolutely not compatible with EVDO and never will be. He is going to credit me back for being placed on "Power Vision" and will return me to regular "Vision".

Mark Rejhon 11-22-2005 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0an
The "Data 2" Sprint specialist said that my 7250 is absolutely not compatible with EVDO and never will be. He is going to credit me back for being placed on "Power Vision" and will return me to regular "Vision".

This is Sprint. At the moment, they do not support the EVDO feature just yet.
However, Verizon does, at least for business users now.

lenemery 11-22-2005 02:15 PM

correction: display shows as 1xEV

but third level tech denies tethering rolled out except for "enterprise" users.

k0an 11-22-2005 04:16 PM

good news

Sprint called back and said evdo will happen for 7250 in the next 30-60 days!

blackberry7750 11-22-2005 04:35 PM

1xev

Quote:

Just do not install the software without them starting it, it says so at the site and there are already a couple of people here that tried it without and regreted that they did.

I unfortunately read this post AFTER i upgraded my device but to my surprise the tech guy I called, although he had to call another tech guy to do the upgrade, was able to upgrade me without a problem. He just asked me to dial *22899 (after holding for a while) and walla.....I have a 1XEV showing.

BTW, where can I get info no this new Blackberry Messenger?

Also, I verified with the guy that the Broadband Access Connect wasn't gonna cost me extra (tethering never came up since I'm not sure I'll be trying that).

audit 11-22-2005 06:06 PM

I've upgraded 5 of our users and now we get the data connection refused message even after doing the *22899 and then registering via the host routing tables. Verizon said that they can't do anything about it and it's a RIM problem. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

evandt 11-22-2005 07:12 PM

followed mark's instructions and it worked perfectly. I'm getting 1XEV and the internet seems much faster. I'm glad the calculator has been fixed, its a huge improvement, otherwise the OS seems similar. Anyone notice you have to hold down the disconnect button longer to end a call?

audit 11-22-2005 07:19 PM

Yea I noticed that also with the end key and the calculator. After I posted above about the Data Connection Refused error with the 5 other Blackberry's that were upgraded EXACTLY the way Mark's instructions said, now my 7250 is getting the exact same error. I don't know what to do and since one of the users is a V.P, I need to get this resolved ASAP.

I'm hoping someone else on here is having the same problem. I even tried to delete the VP off the BES server and readd him but since he can't get a Data Connection, he can't register on the server. If it helps, I'm getting a 1x during this error instead of the 1X that I get when I don't have the error. I can get rid of it if I shut off the wireless and then turn it back on again but then the error comes back within a minute.

Anyone????????????????

tobenning 11-22-2005 10:01 PM

I give up

After 4 1/2 hours of repeatedly calling VZW support, I am no closer to having EVDO on my 7250. I have run the full list of excuses and then it comes down to B2B users only. What is the secret password to make adding BroadbandAccess Connect for free work? :razz:

Ominx 11-22-2005 10:35 PM

Yea...THIS IS BRUTAL. I think I made it at least 9 or 10 levels of support reps. I had reps laughing at each other, yelling at each other, and just going crazy over this. If it wasn't for the small ounce of humor I found in it, I would have been cursing them out during my 1 hour phone call. They actually said point blank, "Wow, you know way more than we do!"

This is just frustrating. I have made 3 calls. The first call I was told there is no need to add anything to my account. The second call I was told it was for b2b customers only, and finally, on my third call...the mildly humorous one, I was told that tech level 9 :) was trying to "push it through" and they would call me with the results. Still Waiting.

They have no idea what is going on. FYI, I am in NJ and they don't have code 71764 in their systems. The only one that was able to get anywhere was MNAI3 which came up on their system as "BBConnectUnlimited".

I have no idea what is on my account right now. Where I live, EVDO isn't available, but tom. I will see when I'm in NYC. For what it's worth, my online account now lists my phone equipment as 7250 EVDO. Hopefully that is a good sign.

But seriously...what a joke.

If 4.0.2 is released, and by posting it on the company's website, I consider it released, end users should be able to download and use it properly without having to jump through hoops getting CS to activate it.

evandt 11-22-2005 11:19 PM

It's shocking to me how hard of a time they're giving you, I spoke to two people who told me "the service isn't available for your phone" so I said get me your supervisor or try this feature code, and 10 minutes later I had it. Best of luck,

cbutz 11-22-2005 11:27 PM

This is a KILLER! I followed the directions on downloading, FINALLY got a rep to add the BBConnectUnlimited for $15 per month (Indiana). Now, I cannot get Data Connection Refused to leave! I have tried *22899 and the Registering a million times and it won't work. I know that we have EVDO in Indianapolis.

Now, though, I cannot get any of my emails, etc from my BES! HELP!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

audit 11-22-2005 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbutz
Now, I cannot get Data Connection Refused to leave! I have tried *22899 and the Registering a million times and it won't work. I know that we have EVDO in Indianapolis.

Now, though, I cannot get any of my emails, etc from my BES! HELP!

Welcome to my world. I've been researching this all night long because I have to have either an answer or a fix tomorrow morning before I walk in the office.

I have checked my BB and don't have the Data Connection Refused message like I had earlier so it appears to have gone away for now but we'll see when I wake up in the morning if I have all my e-mails from my BES server and if my VP's BB is working now.

cbutz 11-22-2005 11:42 PM

Audit:

I hope that your "refused" message stays gone! I made the mistake of getting past it and then decided to do the *228, Option 2 thing. That brought it RIGHT back!

Did the message just go away? Did you try reactivating with your BES?

Good luck! No good having a VP ticked off!

audit 11-22-2005 11:50 PM

I also did the *228 option 2 and that didn't help it either but that was a couple hours ago. It appears that it just went away and i just IM'd my VP and he said that it appears that his BB is activating to the BES server finally after I told him to do a security wipe of it and do the Enterprise Activation after I removed him from the BES server and readded him because that's what the ppl at Verizon told me to do.

I will say that using the VZAccess is sweet though, both on the 1X and the EDVO. We have a lot of people that use the AT&T wireless cards, including my VP. He said that the VZAccess seems like it's faster then what he was getting with his AT&T card even though he was only at 1X at the time.

I'll keep my finger's crossed and see what happens when I get up in the morning.

barc24 11-23-2005 09:09 AM

Tethered Modem

Where can I find a guide on how to use the 7250, that now has EVDO enabled, to use it as a tethered modem? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Ominx 11-23-2005 10:38 AM

This Post has been deleted to avoid confusion. Please see post below indicating that you must add EVDSB to your account.

supermanfan 11-23-2005 10:49 AM

Quote:

Ok...here's the deal, in NJ atleast. This coincides withjlarsen's message in another thread.

Basically VZW tech and CS have no idea what feature code 71764 is here in NJ. You need to mention MNAI3. They will tell you that their systems are reporting "pending". In order to get this to go through tell them to add EVDSB to the account. Once they do so, you should have "BBA CONNECT UNL" on your account.

As far as pricing goes, it is $15 a month to get this added to your account. The way it was explained to me is, this REPLACES your existing BB Unlimited Data Plan. It is NOT an addittional charge. It is the ONLY charge that will be reflected on your account. The word "promotion" was not mentioned, however, I logged into my VZW account at https://myaccount.verizonwireless.com/vzs/loginform and confirmed "BBA CONNECT UNL" was showing up and my previous $40 BB Unlimited had been removed. So it does indeed look like this is promotion, although there was no mention of a time frame.

Hopefully this helps some people out, and maybe we can glue the pieces together.

I am dense, sorry. Are you saying that instead of paying $40 for unlimited Blackberry data you can now get unlimited EVDO Blackberry data for a promotional monthly price of $15?

Ominx 11-23-2005 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supermanfan
I am dense, sorry. Are you saying that instead of paying $40 for unlimited Blackberry data you can now get unlimited EVDO Blackberry data for a promotional monthly price of $15?

Yes...and you can login to your VZW account manager to confirm it. Go to Equipment and Plans ----> Features
https://myaccount.verizonwireless.com/vzs/login

KonTiki 11-23-2005 11:20 AM

I too am in NJ Omnix and went to the link you posted and could not find anything under the features that suggest that what you are saying about the $15 is correct.

When I added the broadband access connect I was told by the rep herself that there was no additional cost, not even the 15$ you are talking about. So if you could check again and post a direct link to it I would apprecate it.

Quote:

Yes...and you can login to your VZW account manager to confirm it. Go to Equipment and Plans ----> Features
https://myaccount.verizonwireless.com/vzs/login

blackberry7750 11-23-2005 11:27 AM

Can people please specify if they are business customers or regular retail customers when posting their experience with the upgrade. (that <i>might</i> explain the differences)

Business account here - again my upgrade was relatively smooth and rep confirmed no extra charge for this service. (i'm located in Manhattan, NY)

siikworm 11-23-2005 12:52 PM

Yes, I too would like to know if any consumer accounts have had luck upgrading.

I just got off the phone with VZW and was told that the 4.0.2 is only being offered to business and government accounts.

I was told that 4.1 will be offered to everyone in the first quarter of '06.

Note that they "tried" to upgrade my account but found that the "system" wouldn't allow for a non-business/gov account.

levimendes 11-23-2005 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siikworm
Yes, I too would like to know if any consumer accounts have had luck upgrading.

I just got off the phone with VZW and was told that the 4.0.2 is only being offered to business and government accounts.

I was told that 4.1 will be offered to everyone in the first quarter of '06.

Note that they "tried" to upgrade my account but found that the "system" wouldn't allow for a non-business/gov account.

I am consumer account and yesterday morning was able to have the "feature" turned on for my account. The night prior, however, no one seemed to know what I was talking about. I guess it's just depending on whether or not you get a tech support rep who knows what they are doing and willing to do the research.

levi

tobenning 11-23-2005 04:42 PM

Consumer on EVDO

Quote:

Ok...here's the deal, in NJ atleast. This coincides withjlarsen's message in another thread.

Basically VZW tech and CS have no idea what feature code 71764 is here in NJ. You need to mention MNAI3. They will tell you that their systems are reporting "pending". In order to get this to go through tell them to add EVDSB to the account. Once they do so, you should have "BBA CONNECT UNL" on your account.

As far as pricing goes, it is $15 a month to get this added to your account. The way it was explained to me is, this REPLACES your existing BB Unlimited Data Plan. It is NOT an addittional charge. It is the ONLY charge that will be reflected on your account. The word "promotion" was not mentioned, however, I logged into my VZW account at https://myaccount.verizonwireless.com/vzs/loginform and confirmed "BBA CONNECT UNL" was showing up and my previous $40 BB Unlimited had been removed. So it does indeed look like this is promotion, although there was no mention of a time frame.

Hopefully this helps some people out, and maybe we can glue the pieces together.

In MA, I called and asked them to add EVDSB to my account. I was told my device was not EV-DO, which I agreed with, since I had not done the upgrade yet. The CSR applied the code to my account and it went through. No mention of having to add MNAI3, so as far as I know, there is no charge. The upgrade went well and I am now 1XEV.

IM+ needed to be re-installed and Password Keeper had to update its database. Email/TXT/surfing is flying now.

audit 11-23-2005 04:59 PM

All day long we've had the Data Connection Refused and after much screaming and yelling, I got ahold of a upper tech that looked at our accounts and saw that they didn't add the code to enable EDVO, so when our BB's tried to hit a tower with EDVO, it didn't register with the tower. After he fixed the accounts, we haven't had one issue.

Make sure that you get a tech that knows what they are doing, I spoke to 12 different people in less then 12 hours and non of them did it right.

gatortone 11-23-2005 06:01 PM

I installed the Telus 4.0.2 software a couple of days after its release a month or so ago. Since then, my BB was siting on 1X. However, after reading this thread today, I called the *22899 number and then got "Data Connection Refused". I then called the VZW number mentioned in Mark's post, and talked to a techie. I was a bit apprehensive about telling the rep my situation since I got the BB through work, but after finally telling him that it probably needs the BroadbandAccess feature coded in, he quickly had me up and running within 10 minutes and it was at no additional charge. Now, I have the 1XEV on the screen, and cruising on the Internet Browser at pretty quick speeds. The arrows are moving a lot faster when I surf, and I can definitely tell a difference. However, I have not noticed a difference on the Blackberry Browser. Overall, this is great!

Ominx 11-23-2005 08:30 PM

Quote:

I too am in NJ Omnix and went to the link you posted and could not find anything under the features that suggest that what you are saying about the $15 is correct.

When I added the broadband access connect I was told by the rep herself that there was no additional cost, not even the 15$ you are talking about. So if you could check again and post a direct link to it I would apprecate it.

I can't provide you with a direct link because that would require logging into my account. But here's a couple of screenshots:
http://maionehomes.com/BB/bba.jpg
http://maionehomes.com/BB/7250EVDO.jpg

tomryan 11-23-2005 09:22 PM

wel.. on my features screen, under data, I have blackberry unlimited and then I have 1XEVDO.

the 1XEVDO is 0.00 and I pay 44.95 for the blackberry unlimited. I'm surprised that you don't have a blackberry data plan.. odd.. perhaps the charge is 15 dollars a month if you don't have a data plan???

tobenning 11-23-2005 09:37 PM

Quote:

I can't provide you with a direct link because that would require logging into my account. But here's a couple of screenshots:
http://maionehomes.com/BB/bba.jpg

I have NationalAccess Roam for "DATA" and EVDO ALLOWANCE and NationalAccess Roam under "EXPRESS NETWORK".

tomryan 11-23-2005 09:39 PM

Again, I suspect what we're seeing here is that Verizon has different features/packages per area.. The Market at work..

KonTiki 11-23-2005 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobenning
I have NationalAccess Roam for "DATA" and EVDO ALLOWANCE and NationalAccess Roam under "EXPRESS NETWORK".

This is what mine shows:

Data
Unlimited Data Usage $44.99
NATIONALACCESS ROAM $0.00
EVDO ALLOWANCE $0.00
NATIONALACCESS ROAM $0.00

Ominx 11-23-2005 09:59 PM

OK...I need to clear this up right away. Apparently my previous post was incorrect. I will edit it to avoid confusion.

Last night I had MNAI3 added to the account along with EVDSB. My screenshots above indicated that I had dropped BB Unlimited for BBA Connect UNL ($15). All was well last night and most of today with 1XEV until....BAM "Data Connection Refused". So, back to tech support.

I explained the situation to them and they said the rep last night added MNAI3, but EVDSB was pending and never went through. Therefore, my account was reflecting a charge for tethered access only. Any BB data was being refused. So the tech removed MNAI3 and simply added EVDSB. Now, all is good.

So, the moral of the story. Don't even mention Broadband Access Connect to tech support. Simply tell them you want to add EVDO support to your account and it's code EVDSB. Simple. Wish I knew that before I spent over 2 hours on the phone. But there you go...EVDSB. That's it!

So, to reiterate what you guys need to be asking for when calling tech support.

*** If you simply want to activate EVDO, tell them to add feature code EVDSB to your account. This is free EVDO allowance on the Express Network.

*** If you want tethered EVDO access this is feature code MNAI3 and costs $15 a month.

None of these features replace your BB Unlimited Data Plan. Your current data plan and pricing structure stay the same.

Here's a screenshot:

tzwizard 11-26-2005 01:03 AM

tether + bluetooth

anyone know if this OS release w/evdo includes the bluetooth data sync and tethering over BT?

or do we still have to do mini usb? I don't want to keep using that damn cable when i have bluetooth in my computers.

When are they gonna do this ?? *sigh*

stonent 11-26-2005 01:04 AM

bt sync is only a part of OS 4.1

CarlSpackler 11-28-2005 08:18 AM

Up and running in Houston

Got my 7250 EVDO enabled Friday, things have worked OK over the weekend.
On occasion I will get "Data Connection Refused". I just turn off the radio and back on and it works, only had to do this about 3 times this weekend.

Thanks Mark for the lowdown...

Carl Spackler

Hotwire 11-28-2005 12:06 PM

Im getting my 7250 this week. and only for $49!!! How ever, is the 7250 ev-do enabled on bell mobility? and can I teather it to my lap top?

Hotwire 11-28-2005 12:11 PM

I just got off the phone...

According to the tech I spoke with..

The 7250 is not EV-DO enabled, nor can I teather it to my laptop to use as a modem.

I feel he is not quite telling the truth, and that there has to be some way to get around this!

jscully 11-28-2005 12:16 PM

MTFP
both of your questions were "search-able".

7250 1XEV-DO is rumoured to be coming to Bell Mobility, with a handheld software upgrade.

Tethering is not available with Bell Mobility, but may be after the upgrade.

The upgrade is rumoured to be mid-december/january.

mklevemann 11-28-2005 01:10 PM

Okay, I read the whole thread and I still have a question. If I enable my 7250 to do EVDO, can I still fall back to 1X mode when EVDO is not available?

Thanks,
matt

gatortone 11-28-2005 01:28 PM

I got the "Data Connection Refused" twice today in downtown Denver. I just rebooted my blackberry, and it seems to be working fine. It is somewhat annoying though. I did notice that if EVDO is not available, it'll kick the BB back into 1X.

burr 11-28-2005 01:33 PM

Just to add my experience to the thread - I followed the instructions provided by Mark R. and others and still had the "Data Connection Refused" problem until I did a hard reset by removing the battery from my 7250. Now I'm rocking on EVDO. Browsing is much faster. I did the network speed test at CWXnet (http://bandwidth.cwxnet.com/initialmeter.php) and the reading came back as 600 Mbps or 75MB/sec download speed. Woohoo!

Hotwire 11-28-2005 02:18 PM

I was just asking for bell specific stuff. I agree Im quite lazy, but I am new to the forums. Im sorry for casuing a disturbance. But Im hoping that the 7250 will allow me to teather real real soon.