BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9800 Series Discussion - Torch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   "NEED HELP" updating OS on 9810 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=255580)

jimmyh 11-20-2011 02:20 PM

"NEED HELP" updating OS on 9810

For the past 12 years I have updated my phones several times. I am now trying to update to the new OS 754 for the torch 9810. I have three computers one on Vista, Windows 7 and XP and I simply cannot upgrade the OS. I have tried on each computer. It is as though I never downloaded. I have done everything the way I always have in the past with absolutely NO RESULTS. I delete the vendor file-no results-I don't delete with no results. What am I missing here??? Has something changed and I didn't get the memo...? I generally load through desktop manager, is there another way? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dubdub 11-20-2011 02:35 PM

Re: "NEED HELP" updating OS on 9810

Did you read the instructions in the sticky where the OS is posted (in the 9800 section)?

Did you try BBSAK (see the FAQ)?

jimmyh 11-20-2011 03:18 PM

I have read and read and read and upgraded many, many times but I have never had this problem. BBSAK I have never tried but will attempt. Thanks

Motorcycle Mama 11-20-2011 03:18 PM

Also be aware that the newer OS version have more than one vendor.xml file that they install on the computer.

Search for all of them.

Open the Command Prompt on your computer.
Type in this command. dir /a /s C:\Vendor.xml
Note the location(s) of the file(s) and then delete them.

Try to load the OS again.

jimmyh 11-20-2011 07:35 PM

Having trouble with the command; dir/a/s C:\Vendor.xml. Where are the spaces if any

Motorcycle Mama 11-20-2011 08:25 PM

Just as I typed it. dir /a /s C:\Vendor.xml

A space after dir.
None between the / and the a.
A space after the a.
None between the / and the s.
A space after the s.
None the rest of the way.

jimmyh 11-22-2011 08:13 AM

First, thank you for your help. I have found where the two xml files are and can only locate the vendor file. The other directions take me no where. I have never, never, never, never..............had a problem upgrading to a newer OS be it offical or beta but the last two releases for the 9810 I have not been able to load. What in the world am I overlooking????

iamagentalx 11-22-2011 11:08 AM

did you already find solution for this? I can help you bro!

jimmyh 11-23-2011 02:16 PM

Yes!!! Finally found the light.... went on line and found you have to "unhide" certain files... Thanks to all the helped.

Edwardblack 11-26-2011 01:34 PM

Dude, please help!

I've tried everything to update my Torch 9810 to the latest release (7.0.0.540) but I cant, I've tried deleting vendor.xml files, use BBSAK, desktop manager, etc... and nothing, it's like the device don't want to recognize the newer OS and wants to remain with the older version.

Can you be more explicit with your procedure to upgrade your 9810?

poolbizz 11-26-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwardblack (Post 1756920)
Dude, please help!

I've tried everything to update my Torch 9810 to the latest release (7.0.0.540) but I cant, I've tried deleting vendor.xml files, use BBSAK, desktop manager, etc... and nothing, it's like the device don't want to recognize the newer OS and wants to remain with the older version.

shut off your connection to the internet

Edwardblack 11-26-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poolbizz (Post 1756944)
shut off your connection to the internet

I tried with the internet connection off, and the same results.... I cant update.... any suggestions???

Edwardblack 11-26-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyh (Post 1756488)
Yes!!! Finally found the light.... went on line and found you have to "unhide" certain files... Thanks to all the helped.

Dude, please help!

jimmyh 11-26-2011 09:11 PM

Remember there are 2 vendor.xml files, you need to unhide the files on the folder option.
Open my Computer
Click organize on the upper left window then click on "folder and seach" option
Then go to the "view" tab and click "show hidden files, folders and drives". It may just say hidden files-click on that square.
Then go back to C:\Users\user_name(mine is jimmy yours will be YOU)\appdata\roaming\Research in Motion\Blackberry\loader.xml.
Here you will see another vendor.xml file--delete and you are ready to go.
The above instructions were used on Vista, XP reads a little different and I'm not sure about Windows 7. I have 3 computers and all are different I just happened to use these instructions on Vista. Hope this helps, it surely helped me....

jimmyh 11-26-2011 09:26 PM

If you are on XP: Go to my computer, Tools, folder options. Click on view then choose show hidden files and folders.

Close and go to your C: drive C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Research in Motion\Blackerry

There you will see the "other" .xml file

This is the instructions for my computer and hopefully they will be of assistance to you....good luck..

Edwardblack 11-26-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyh (Post 1756959)
Remember there are 2 vendor.xml files, you need to unhide the files on the folder option.
Open my Computer
Click organize on the upper left window then click on "folder and seach" option
Then go to the "view" tab and click "show hidden files, folders and drives". It may just say hidden files-click on that square.
Then go back to C:\Users\user_name(mine is jimmy yours will be YOU)\appdata\roaming\Research in Motion\Blackberry\loader.xml.
Here you will see another vendor.xml file--delete and you are ready to go.
The above instructions were used on Vista, XP reads a little different and I'm not sure about Windows 7. I have 3 computers and all are different I just happened to use these instructions on Vista. Hope this helps, it surely helped me....

Dude! that vendor.xml was so damn hidden! lol but now that its gone, the update is working just fine.

Thanks!