BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   My 7130 blackberry or treo?????? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=37994)

Naked Wife 06-23-2006 02:19 PM

Wirelessly posted (NakedBerry: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Does the 7130 pick up a lot of background noise? My 7250 could only be used in quiet environments. I'm giving the Treo 700P a try.

fireman 06-23-2006 02:33 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I used a BB7250 and had big problems with background noise. I now use the 7130e and have had great feedback on the sound quality.

Naked Wife 06-23-2006 03:34 PM

Wirelessly posted (NakedBerry: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireman
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I used a BB7250 and had big problems with background noise. I now use the 7130e and have had great feedback on the sound quality.

That's good to hear becuase if this treo doesn't work out I will probably give the 7130e a run.

somecows 06-23-2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohardi
I would like to stay with verizon, I know there is a 8700 device on the horizon but I want to get rid of my 7130 sooner rather than later.

Is this true? Is an 8700 coming out for Verizon?

bcoutlander 06-23-2006 09:22 PM

Well, I am going to send my 7130 back to Sprint and I have already switched back to my 700p. For me the problem was trying to get used to using a PDA device without the touchscreen and 5 way navigator. I just did not like the scroll wheel, and I really never liked it on my Clies either. Also, I really like the way Chatter Email handled my email better than BIS. I have an IMAP server at work and forward my GMail to another IMAP server so I really got tired of having to delete messages on the BB and then on another computer. Also I missed having a camera on my phone for improptu shots of my 1yr old daughter.

But, I am not trying to say the BB is a bad device, it was just not the good device for me in my situation. I really loved the form factor of the 7130 and SureType was really easy to learn and use. I never could get use to the shape of the 7250. Now if RIM ever came out with a way to interact with IMAP like Chatter does or sync with GMail and add some multimedia, and camera, capablities I will be the first in line to get that device.

In closing I would say give the 700p and Chatter Email a chance because your needs seem to be close to what I use my Treo for. And if that doesn't work out try out the new Q. ;)

plisken 06-24-2006 02:58 AM

Are you using a BT headset? If so, turn the volume down a tick or two on the BB and the echo should go away.

Echo3 06-24-2006 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcoutlander
And if that doesn't work out try out the new Q. ;)

The Q has tons of bugs and WM5 just totally kills the device. Good hardware, bad software. (n)

nle801 06-24-2006 07:23 AM

Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

plisken is right. The problem is not the person on the other end.

Think about it. If your volume is to loud, the person on the other end speaks and hears their voice through your speaker creating the echo effect. I had the same problem with my 8700. Turn the volume down on your end and the echo will go away.

RWilli999 06-24-2006 08:01 AM

My problem is I don't hear for squat. That's one reason I really like the 7130e, because it does have good volume compared to other BB's I've tried. If the volume is causing the echo on the other end, some techno whiz ought to be able to figure someting out to alleviate this problem. Other than that I will keep using the ear headset whenever I remember to bring it along.

bcoutlander 06-24-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo3
The Q has tons of bugs and WM5 just totally kills the device. Good hardware, bad software. (n)

Which is the reason for my wink at the end.... I would not recommend an WinMobile device to anyone....

Naked Wife 06-26-2006 10:54 PM

Wirelessly posted (NakedBerry: BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

After a 6 days with the 700P, I switched back to my old BB 7250. The Treo was very nice and it didn't reset as often as I've heard, but the keyboard was too small and it felt very cheap. The phone felt delicate to me. I might give the 7130 a try next.

ql218 06-27-2006 11:42 PM

7130c vs. Treo 650

Forgive me as this is a very long review of the 7130c when compared to my Treo 650. I took this straight from my blog and I am too lazy to edit it. Needless to say, I love my 7130.

For the last year and a half I have been lugging around a Treo 650 from Cingular and while it has been very useful as my day to day phone, there were a few things that really irked me about it. First, I didnxxx8217;t like how I had to bend over backwards to get push email on the Treo using Chatter and even then, I didnxxx8217;t have a solution to get my work email to push to my Treo. Secondly, the phone dimensions and weight just became too unwieldy. As any guy can attest, we hate carrying stuff in our pockets so it was no surprise that the Treo became too much of a burden.

I have always been intrigued by the push email solutions from BlackBerry but never saw a device that had the features and size that suited my needs. That is until Cingular dropped the 7130c. I had to go check it out. So I strolled over to my Cingular store here in Manhattan and compared my Treo side by side with the 7130c and it was no contest. The 7130c was narrower, shorter (if you count the antenna on the Treo), and noticeably slimmer. The biggest realization was how light the 7130c was (or how heavy the Treo was). So after about 20 minutes, I walked out the store with Blackberry in hand for $150 (donxxx8217;t ask how I managed that).

Email

The first thing I did when I came home was set up all my email accounts on the Blackberry Internet Services page on Cingular. Everything went without a hitch including my work email. I total, I have 4 accounts set up; 1 exchange server (work), 1 pop, 1 imap, and the BlackBerry account you get which I use as the address I have my Gmail account forwarded to. I have noticed from observation that there is a delay of about a minute from when I get my work email on my laptop to when I get it on the 7130c which is very acceptable if you ask me. I am very happy with the email solution. I think it is much much better than what I had on the Treo. The one thing I wish I could do is mark each account a different color so when I look in my main inbox I can tell at a glance where each email came from.

Phone

The second thing I tried was making a phone call. Being the size it is, the 7130c is much more of a phone than the Treo. The speaker is loud and clear, I can confirm that it is much better than the Treo in terms of clarity, loudness, and pitch. The 7130cxxx8217;s reception is also very good. I consistantly get full signal here in Manhattan with Cingular. The phone application is very well thought out. The screen turns off while youxxx8217;re on the phone to save battery. If you are on speakerphone or a headset, you can go away from the phone app and do other things in the background while you are on a call. If you use the xxx8220;Todayxxx8221; theme, you can get a quick glance at any missed calls you have on the hone screen.

SureType

I had my reservations about switching from a full QWERTY keyboard to a hybrid one. Rest assured, the SureType keypad is pretty good. The keys are well placed (if you donxxx8217;t have hot dog fingers) and the tactile feel is good; a very nice solid click. While it wonxxx8217;t replace the full keypad, it does a good job of making your text entry speedy. There is a bit of an adjustment going from the Treo especially when you take into account the different placement of symbols. While it is faster typing on the Treo (especially if youxxx8217;re the minority that use correct punctuation), the BlackBerry is a lot better than T9 on regular phones.

PIM

Here I have to say the Treo outclasses the BlackBerry in terms of functionality. The calendar program on the Treo is much elegant. The calendar functionality on the BlackBerry seems like it was a tacked on afterthought. I guess rightfully so because this is an email machine first and foremost. However, to be competitive with WM 5 and Palm, BlackBerry should concentrate on rounding out the PIM functionality on the BlackBerry OS. The address book works well. I do wish it had an open for showing pictures of contacts. Tasks and memo work as advertised. I do wish you had the ability to hide completed tasks.

Connectivity

The 7130c comes equiped with Bluetooth, a standard mini USB port, and EDGE data service. The implementation of the Bluetooth leaves much to be desired. Ixxx8217;m sure it has something to do with the possible security issues in a business environment but having said that, it is annoying that you only get the headset profile and the ability to sync over the air using the supplied desktop manager. File transfer would have been nice or some sort of proximity support. The Treo outpaces the Blackberry here as well. The Treo includes a Bluetooth, USB, EDGE, and includes infrared. The Treo Bluetooth implementation while lacking at least offers Dial Up Networking. The EDGE speeds are about even on both devices. The edge (pun intended) goes to the Blackberry for its better web browser.

Applications

Here is where the Treo trumps the Blackberry. There are thousands and thousands of applications out there for the Palm platform. The same canxxx8217;t be said about the Blackberry platform. There a few very good apps for the Blackberry but they just canxxx8217;t compare to what you can get on the Palm. The few applications that I absolutely miss on the Palm are;

Vindigo - I used this program daily living in New York. Dining good, drinking guide, shopping guide, music guide. I absolutely wish there was something comparable.
pTunes - granted BlackBerries arenxxx8217;t media devices but it would have been nice if BlackBerry included a memory slot and a MP3 player
SplashID - I travel very often for work so I have many many frequent this frequent that cards and accounts. I use this app to store all that data.
Metro - This free subway utility was so thought out that I would have paid money for it. There are a few apps on the BlackBerry that do this much not as well.
Overall, I just think the OS and apps on the Palm are just more polished which makes sense when you consider how old and open the platform is. I would love more developers to develop for the BlackBerry OS.

Overall

I really like the 7130c. The form factor is almost perfect (could be thinner). It fits in the hand well and it is really light. The construction is solid. One thing I thought I would miss was the higher resolution of the Treo, it turns out I donxxx8217;t really notice at all. Although the platform is missing some critical apps, the email solution and form factor are just too good to not to switch. I am very happy with my purchase. Any questions?

Scott403540 06-28-2006 12:35 PM

This has been helpful to me also. Right now I carry a 7290 and a Razr. I hate carrying two devices, but I need both a really good e-mail device as well as a good phone (and I just don't like long phone calls on the bb and I have not found a bluetooth device trustworthy enough). I have been considering the Treo (maybe if/when they release the new Cingulars later this year), but all my friends with Treos, while they love them, have so many problems with resets and crashes and it seems they just have to baby them so much. I've dropped my BB countless times and I've never had a problem with it. Anyway, thanks for all the good advice in this thread.

bcoutlander 06-28-2006 01:08 PM

I have been using the 700p for 3 weeks and have only had one reset. I've used the 7130 for about a week and have had no issues once my account was set-up properly.

As far as dropping either one I would avoid it. Neither seems to be as durable as the 72xx series and the 700p seems a little bit more solid. But, I am guessing that is just because the Treo is a bit heavier. And the 700p did survive a 3 foot fall onto a hardwood floor when our cat knocked it off of my nightstand.

As far as being good and email device I actually like the Treo 700p combined with ChatterEmail. It works alot better with my IMAP accounts and allows them to be synced no matter how I access my email. The 7130 was nice but the BIS wouldn't update my IMAP accounts. So, it really depends on your situation because if I could have used BES I most likely would have stuck with the 7130. I know I could have used a hosted BES but that would have added a total of $60/month to my cell bill. Where as unlimited data is already included on my plan for the Treo and chatter is a one $40 purchase. Plus the battery life on the Treo is much better, and incredible with the extended battery. I never seem to get through a whole day(7am-midnight or so) on the BB without charging for a bit at some point.

wirelessandy 06-28-2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcoutlander
Plus the battery life on the Treo is much better, and incredible with the extended battery. I never seem to get through a whole day(7am-midnight or so) on the BB without charging for a bit at some point.

Ooh. Is the 7130 battery life poor? How low did your 7130 battery get down to by midnight? Down just a "bar" or all the way down to it's last legs?

Almost forgot: You using the Verizon 7130 or the Cingular 7130c? (I'm still on the fence about getting the Cingular one.)

G M Fude 06-28-2006 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ql218
SplashID - I travel very often for work so I have many many frequent this frequent that cards and accounts. I use this app to store all that data.

ql: I too am a big fan of SplashID, first on a Palm Tungsten T then on an Axim X50v -- have lost count of the number of times it has saved me. Have you checked out MiniSafe from Simprit? I'd post the URL but I'm not allowed to by forum rules unless I have 10 posts (so, 9 to go).

I haven't tried it yet myself but when I migrate completely from my Axim to a BlackBerry, it will certainly be an app to test. I have heard very good reports and apparently it is possible to migrate data without drama direct from SpalshID's ViD.

Steve

ql218 06-29-2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G M Fude
ql: I too am a big fan of SplashID, first on a Palm Tungsten T then on an Axim X50v -- have lost count of the number of times it has saved me. Have you checked out MiniSafe from Simprit? I'd post the URL but I'm not allowed to by forum rules unless I have 10 posts (so, 9 to go).

I haven't tried it yet myself but when I migrate completely from my Axim to a BlackBerry, it will certainly be an app to test. I have heard very good reports and apparently it is possible to migrate data without drama direct from SpalshID's ViD.

Steve

Steve

This is very good news! I will try out MiniSafe right now and see how it goes. Also I have found an alternative to Vindigo but not as feature rich. If you live in a big city like Manhattan you should give Zagat To Go a try for all your dining and nightlife needs. It's pretty good.

bcoutlander 06-29-2006 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wirelessandy
Ooh. Is the 7130 battery life poor? How low did your 7130 battery get down to by midnight? Down just a "bar" or all the way down to it's last legs?

Almost forgot: You using the Verizon 7130 or the Cingular 7130c? (I'm still on the fence about getting the Cingular one.)

This was with a 7130e on Sprint.

I don't know if I would've called the battery life poor given all that it does. It just didn't last as long as the standard battery on the 700p and nowhere near what I can get with the extended 700p battery. I usually would put the BB on the charger sometime between 330 and 4pm because it would be down to 25-30% or so. Where as the standard Treo battery would only be down to 55 at the worst. But then again the BB's battery has only half of the capicity of the stock Treo battery.

Naked Wife 07-04-2006 11:23 PM

Wirelessly posted (NakedBerry: BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I just tried the Sprint 7130 and couldn't bear having a Blackberry without all those shortcuts I've gotten used to with my 7250. I enjoyed the 700P more than the 7130, but will keep the 7250 for now.

Chrscott22 07-04-2006 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naked Wife

I just tried the Sprint 7130 and couldn't bear having a Blackberry without all those shortcuts I've gotten used to with my 7250. I enjoyed the 700P more than the 7130, but will keep the 7250 for now.

All of the 7250's are capable of EVDO right??