BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Do you think my curve's keys will come back to life? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=188676)

unlimited 05-04-2009 07:04 PM

Do you think my curve's keys will come back to life?

What my problem is:
nail polisher remover (couple drops) on the inside chip of the blackberry curve. It's caused many buttons to switch with other buttons or just not work at all. For example when I push in the trackball it makes a + sign and the L and H buttons aren't functioning.

How did this happen you ask?
Well let me give you a quick story of what happened. My trackball was sorta stuck due to dust so I decided to open it up and get the dust out that was sticking to the ball. I got the dust out and put the trackball back in, and not realizing I put the shiny plastic (that holds the trackball in place) in the wrong way. The plastic's weak little legs it has broke and me being the genius that I am decided that it would be smart to glue the plastic in. As I glued the plastic I then realized the trackball was hardly moving. So I popped it out and rushed to remove the super glue with nail polish remover on a cotton swab. The nail polish remover must have leaked around the trackball and onto the chip in the back. Now, this has started to happen: I push in the trackball it makes a + sign and the L and H buttons aren't functioning.

Do you think this has caused permanent damage or will a couple days of drying it out bring the keys back to life?

ndub33 05-04-2009 07:07 PM

You can try drying it out (remove the abttery and the battery cover, but I'm not optimistic.

dc/dc 05-04-2009 07:25 PM

You've likely caused permanent damage to the electrical circuitry.

unlimited 05-04-2009 07:27 PM

thanks for the replies. any suggestion on what I can do? Is it possible for this to be repaired in any way? and if so how much will it cost me?

dc/dc 05-04-2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimited (Post 1373238)
thanks for the replies. any suggestion on what I can do? Is it possible for this to be repaired in any way? and if so how much will it cost me?

No, this is not repairable as it is the main circuit board. The only option is to replace the device. Sorry.

unlimited 05-04-2009 07:59 PM

Again, thanks for the reply. Ah man. I'm really lost. Do you seriously think there's absolutely no hope?

BeefyBeefo 05-05-2009 01:31 AM

Wirelessly posted (VZW 8330)

No hope. The cost of repair is the cost of a new device. Unless you have insurance, which I'm guessing you don't?

rambo47 05-05-2009 05:24 AM

Nail polish remover is acetone-based, and that will destroy things like circuit boards. It's toast.

unlimited 05-23-2009 02:32 AM

Sorry for doing this but I had to bump this to say that my curve is working perfectly fine. I let it sit for a full day and a half, keyboard facing down with the battery removed and cover off. Never lose hope

rambo47 05-23-2009 10:03 AM

That's great news! I was SURE it was a gonner. Stuff like that is usually certain death for a BB. Looks like it healed itself though. (y)