BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Network (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   BlackBerry Internet - MSN/chat/web/telnet/TCPIP - No BES! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2185)

Mark Rejhon 01-08-2005 12:50 PM

BlackBerry Internet - MSN/chat/web/telnet/TCPIP - No BES!

How to Configure Full Internet Access On BlackBerry

You are interested, if you want to do any of the following, especially if you are an individual prosumer rather than a big corporate user:
  • Run BES-required Internet software without BES!
  • Instant Messaging, AIM, ICQ, MSN (Verichat, WebMessenger, BerryVine, IM+, etc.)
  • Full HTML web browsing ability (Reqwireless, BlackBerry Browser, etc.)
  • IRC chatting (virca, wlirc, etc.)
  • telnet/ssh (Idokorro, etc.)
  • No BES needed! No MDS needed!
Easy 1-2-3 Instructions:
  1. Upgrade your BlackBerryOS
    You need BlackBerry with OS 3.8 or later. If you have an older version of BlackBerryOS, please Download BlackBerryOS 4.0 and install it on your BlackBerry first.
  2. Configure your BlackBerry & Your Carrier
    On the BlackBerry handheld, go to Options -> TCP
    There is a new option in BlackBerryOS 3.8 and later. Then fill in APN with the provided APN listead in the below post, that is appropriate for your carrier. If no username or password is provided, leave these blank. If only a username is provided, then leave in the password. Also, ignore the Gateway IP address, unless your Blackberry specifically has a textbox to enter the IP address in. "APN" means "Access Point Name". Once you have saved the APN information, you should reboot your BlackBerry by removing and reinserting the battery.
  3. Run your BlackBerry Internet Software
    Once you have filled this information, your Internet applications should work on your BlackBerry. TCP/IP makes Internet software work, including chat software: Verichat, WebMessenger, IRC, Telnet/SSH, Web browsing, etc.
Occasionally, some applications on the BlackBerry need to have the gateway or APN information entered directly into them. This is not common.

BlackBerry TCP/IP Configuration Success Reports
  • Nextel/Telus - iDEN - Has TCP/IP
    No APN/TCP settings required on iDEN units including 65XX, 75XX and 7100i. They are special because they are iDEN and more native TCP/IP. After a new BlackBerry activation, you may need to wait 2 business days before third party Internet software such as VeriChat works. In the past, it was necessary to call Nextel to order the static IP address option (about $4/month), but now a static IP address appears to be included with BlackBerries by default.
  • Rogers - Has TCP/IP
    Go to Options->TCP
    APN: internet.com
    Username/password is blank
    Note: If this does not work, call Rogers and get the "internet.com Access Point Name" added to your account. If they say it already exists, tell them to load up the records anyway, just to doublecheck.
  • T-Mobile - Has TCP/IP
    Go to Options->TCP (or Tools->TCP)
    APN: wap.voicestream.com
    Username: (blank)
    Password: (blank)
    Note: T-Mobile has fixed the port-blocking issue - see this post for more info. In rare cases, it is reported you may need to enter your T-Mobile username and password, the same information used for logging into www.t-mobile.com/bwc ... If it still does not work properly, just call T-Mobile (call after Feburary 11th, 2005), and ask them to get the "wap.voicestream.com Internet Access Point Name" added to your BlackBerry account at no extra charge.
  • Cingular Orange - Has TCP/IP
    Go to Options->TCP
    APN: wap.cingular
    Username: [email address]
    Password: CINGULAR1
    Formerly, it used to be difficult to get this to work on Cingular but in December 2005, a new Internet Browser Icon suddenly appeared on Cingular BlackBerry units. When this happened, it also suddenly became easier to use Cingular BlackBerry with TCP/IP. If you are still having problems, please click here.
  • Cingular Blue - Has TCP/IP
    Go to Options->TCP
    APN: proxy
    Username: (blank)
    Password: (blank)
    Try using these settings if you are on the former AT&T network, instead of the Cingular settings.
  • Verizon - Has TCP/IP
    Newer models including 7250 and 7130 now has a TCP/IP stack, no configuration is needed. Many third party Internet applications work out of the box on it! However, the older 6750 and 7750 models will NOT work with TCP/IP.
  • Telus - CDMA - Has Partial TCP/IP
    Recently, in late 2005, this feature got activated on newer Telus units. Newer models including 7250 now has a TCP/IP stack, no configuration is needed. However, there seems to be blocking for certain applications such as IM. Several third party Internet applications work out of the box on it! However, the older 6750 and 7750 models will NOT work with TCP/IP.
  • Bell Mobility - Does NOT Work; Need MDS hosting
    Unfortunately, none of the Bell Mobility BlackBerries have a TCP/IP stack enabled. Not even the 7250. A future BlackBerryOS may fix this, or Bell Mobility might enable the feature in the future. No timeline known. For now, get BES/MDS Hosting in order to make 3rd party Internet applications work. (Note: Some applications such as IM+ will work on Bell Moblity if configuring using WAP/gateway/APN settings listed below. See this post)
  • Sprint - Unknown; Might Work
    Unknown. There is enough TCP/IP functionality in BlackBerryOS 4.0.0.204 or later, for software such as Verichat and Berry411 to work. This BlackBerryOS is preinstalled on the model 7250. Some software such as Reqwireless Emailviewer will require you to input gateway IP address information (See below). For the best TCP/IP support, you must use BES/MDS. You will need to pay $10 to $25 extra per month for BES/MDS Hosting in order to gain access to the Internet and TCP/IP software.
  • Other Carriers - Might Work
    This is a list posted by a wonderful forum member bfrye on BlackBerryForums.com ... In addition to this list, there is also another list of alternate APN's on the Internet. You may have to telephone your carrier to tell them to get the Access Point Name (APN) added to your BlackBerry mobile phone account. Here are the most common APN's, although they can change over time:
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bfrye
    AT&T
    Gateway IP: 10.250.250.250
    Port: 9201
    APN: proxy

Bell Mobility
    Gateway IP: 207.236.197.199
    Port: 9203
    APN: internet.com

Cincinnati Bell
    Gateway IP: 216.68.79.199
    APN: wap.gocbw.com
    username: cbw

Cingular (modem compatible)
    Gateway IP: ?
    Port: ?
    APN: isp.cingular

Cingular

Cingular
    Gateway IP: 66.209.11.61
    Port: 9203
    APN: blackberry.net

Dobson
    APN: cellular1wap

O2 (Germany)
    Gateway IP: 195.182.114.52
    APN: wap.viaginterkorn.de

O2 (Holland)
    Gateway IP: 193.113.200.195
    APN: internet

O2 (Ireland)
    Gateway IP: 192.168.90.74
    APN: wap.dol.ie
    username: gprs
    password: gprs

O2 (UK)
    Gateway IP: 192.113.200.195
    APN: wap.o2.co.uk
    username: o2wap
    password: password

Rogers
    Gateway IP: 208.200.67.150

T-Mobile (UK) 1
    Gateway IP: 149.254.1.10
    APN: general.t-mobile.uk

T-Mobile (UK) 2
    Gateway IP: 140.254.1.0

T-Mobile (Germany)
    Gateway IP: 193.254.160.2
    APN: wap.t-dl.de

T-Mobile (US)
    Gateway IP: 216.155.165.50
    APN: wap.voicestream.com

T-Mobile (US)
    APN: internet2.voicestream.com

Telcel
    APN: internet.itelcel.com
    Username: webgprs
    Password: webgrps2002

Telefonica Movil
    Gateway IP: 192.168.80.21
    APN wap.movistar.es

Telstra
    Gateway IP: 10.1.1.150
    APN: telstra.internet

TIM (Italy)
    Gateway IP: 213.26.205.1
    APN: wap.tim.it

Verizon Alternate
    Gateway IP: 12.168.70.74

Verizon
    Gateway IP: 153.114.115.100
    Port 9203

Vodafone (NL)
    Gateway IP: 192.168.251.150
    APN: blackberry.vodafone.nl
    username: vodafone
    Password: vodafone

Vodafone (Spain)
    Gateway IP: 212.73.32.10
    APN: airtelwap.es
    username: wap@wap
    password: wap125

Vodafone (UK)
    Gateway IP: 212.183.137.12
    APN: wap.vodafone.uk
    username: [email address]
    password: user

Quote:

This is a "Mark Rejhon BlackBerry FAQ" article.
Copyright (C) 2005 by Mark Rejhon, All Rights Reserved. Some portions may be Copyright (C) by respective forum members.
Mark Rejhon grants permission to use this article only for private use. For all other uses, please ask Mark Rejhon at www.marky.com to ask for permission to use this article. If any content of this article also contains content by other forum members, please ask them for permission too as well. This includes commercial use, public use, reposting in full/part anywhere on the Internet, publication in magazine/book or any other media, or any other use than private use. This copyright notice may not be edited or removed in any manner. Mark Rejhon reserves exclusive right to edit, remove, or restore this article, and this article may not be edited, removed, or restored by any other individual or organizations.

RGabo 01-09-2005 07:10 PM

Mark, you state: 'No BES needed! No MDS needed!'.

I'm at T-Mobile Hungary and I can't get Blackberry service just yet (neither BES nor BWC) but I can get a full-blown GPRS internet plan that works perfect on my Motorola MPX200 (Web, IM, etc).

When I set the same APN/username/password and/or WAP gateway, nothing works. Tunnel can be opened (meaning, username and password are OK) but it seems to time out and I get a 'could not connect' error message. I Tried VeriChat, WebViewer, SSH apps, no go.

How could I troubleshoot my problem and do I need to make any requests from my provider? Better asked: is there any difference how a 'normal' phone (Nokia / Motorola GPRS phones) access GPRS and how the Blackberry does?

Tx,

rob61280 01-09-2005 09:53 PM

my question is the same as RGabo,

if blackberry service is not available through a normal gprs/gsm connection, is it possible to use wap,sms, and retrieve pop email in a traditional non-blackberry way, with a blackberry?

thanks
Rob

thaze 01-10-2005 02:14 AM

APN for CSL

I am in Hong Kong and wondered if anyone had the APN info for CSL in hong kong?

George 01-13-2005 01:36 PM

I live in the Netherlands and I've got a blackberry from KPN. Does anyone know the APN info for KPN netherlands. Thanx..

Mark Rejhon 01-17-2005 02:53 AM

For Hong Kong CSL and Netherlands, it is already listed up there through the "Alternate APNs" link that you see in my first post.

From reading the "Alternate APNs", I can see Hong Kong CSL and Netherlands KPM both use "internet" as the APN. No dot-com, just "internet" with no username and password.

RGabo 01-17-2005 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
For Hong Kong CSL and Netherlands, it is already listed up there through the "Alternate APNs" link that you see in my first post.

From reading the "Alternate APNs", I can see Hong Kong CSL and Netherlands KPM both use "internet" as the APN. No dot-com, just "internet" with no username and password.

Mark, I'm aware of my provider's APN (it is 'internet', this is for T-Mobile Hungary) and I also have a valid working account (login/password) for this APN. Still, my connections time out without succeeding so I am not able to use the TCP stack to access the internet to use WebViewer or any IM client.

I was wondering how could I troubleshoot my issue and figure out whether it is a problem on my side or on my provider's site. Vodafone Hungary seems listed on reqwireless.com although it still might not work without a valid BES too, I haven't tested that.

Any ideas?

RGabo 01-17-2005 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob61280
my question is the same as RGabo,

if blackberry service is not available through a normal gprs/gsm connection, is it possible to use wap,sms, and retrieve pop email in a traditional non-blackberry way, with a blackberry?

thanks
Rob

SMS you can definitely use, for WAP/Web/IM you need the TCP stack in 4.0 and I'm trying to find a solution for my problem with this set up. You can't substitute a Blackberry Service (be it BES or BWC) with POP but you could use a POP client on your blackberry with the TCP stack without a BES or a BWC service. IF it works for you.. :)

Good luck, have fun,

RGabo 01-18-2005 12:00 AM

Gateway IP

Oh, and I don't have a specific Gateway IP address textbox, although I know that information for my provider.

Is that a clue? ;)

GTi4Life 01-18-2005 01:40 AM

No NEXTEL?

y2kelvin 01-20-2005 07:13 AM

Re: APN for CSL

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaze
I am in Hong Kong and wondered if anyone had the APN info for CSL in hong kong?

:idea: For Hong Kong CSL , try to set APN to "hkcsl". I successfully connected my app to my server with this setting.

y2kelvin 01-20-2005 07:16 AM

Quote:

:idea: For Hong Kong CSL, please also try "hkcsl". I can connect to internet with this setting.

bmoore 01-21-2005 05:30 PM

Verichat Error Message

When reading the threads related to configuring the BB device for use with Verichat I cannot seem to get this working. I have added the APN for my provider and when I launch Verichat it comes back with either of the 2 errors (depending on whether I have MDS selected or not).

Error 1: With "Force MDS" selected - "Could not find a Service Book Entry"

Error 2: With "Force MDS" unselected - "Could not open a tunnel - failed"

Has anyone seen this or does this mean that my carrier (Cincinnati Bell/AT&T) does not offer this type of access. As a side note my Internet browser works perfectly with either of these settings selected.

Any help would be great.

singberry 01-23-2005 03:22 PM

TCP APN configured as "internet" for Singtel but s

With reference to the tip below and my , my TCP APN configured as "internet" for Singtel here in Singapore (details of singtel can be seen in the compatibility international guide somewhere here in the forum) but still my black berry 7730 with OS4.0 latest version wont allow me to browse the net or use the Instant Messaging, ICQ, MSN (Verichat, WebMessenger, IM+, etc.)..The little green arrows on the top right hand corners flickers for a while and that is it.

Anyone have any ideas why i cant logon to the net. (i've even entered the correct WAP APN as required by Reqwireless IM+WAP or Emailviewer but to no avail.. the simplest is Verichat but yet nothing works.. My phone works though and i do hv GPRS connectivity.

Singtel tech support tried it on their own Blackberry but also couldnt get Reqwireless or any of the 3rd party sw to work.

I dun have the carrier's browser as i did not subscribe to their pushmail plan ..and this is not the reason as Singtel tech support staff themselves couldnt get their units with pushmail plan to work either.

any help greatly appreciated.

thanks
rgds
ron
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

whensmett 01-23-2005 07:04 PM

7100t Internet Access Issue

I have a 7100t from T-Mobile USA. TMo unlocked it and I am trying to get Internet access in South Africa through MTN/GPRS. I have upgraded to 3.8.128 and 4.0 for desktop. MTN's APN is internet with no username or password. I had no sucess so far. Is there anything else that needs to be configured on the 7100t? I have tried my SIM on a SE phone and I can get internet access.
Any ideas? MTN's customer service doesn't even know what a Blackberry is.
Thanks for your help.

singberry 01-24-2005 07:29 AM

I had the same trouble with Webviewer or any Reqwireless

My Regwireless webviewer 4.0, emailviewer or any of those 3rd party IM+WAP etc do not work even when i had OS4.0 and TCP configured as 'internet' for the APN as suggested above. Mine is Singtel from Singapore and even the Singtel boys are still scratching their heads as to why it didnt work. they've downloaded the Reqwireless to configure on their sets but it aint working too.. any one can help? maybe is the confusion of using WAP gateway APN etc... many thanks

n8ureb 01-24-2005 11:54 PM

Too Bad i cant use my MDS server to act as a proxy so i can still surf the web via a BB modem to a web browser.

PhilJJ 01-25-2005 03:56 PM

Re: BlackBerry Internet - MSN/chat/web/telnet/TCPIP - No BES

:(

Hello..

I am trying to get my Cingular 7280 to work with Verichat.
What did i do ??
Downloaded OS4.0
Updated handheld.. the version is now 3.7.121 [platform 1.6.1.23]

There is no Option --> TCP ...

Did I do something wrong? Please advise.

Thank you.

Phil

[quote="Mark Rejhon"]How to Configure Full Internet Access On BlackBerry

You are interested, if you want to do any of the following, especially if you are an individual prosumer rather than a big corporate user:
  • Run BES-required Internet software without BES!
  • Instant Messaging, AIM, ICQ, MSN (Verichat, WebMessenger, IM+, etc.)
  • Full HTML web browsing ability (Reqwireless, BlackBerry Browser, etc.)
  • IRC chatting (virca, wlirc, etc.)
  • telnet/ssh (Idokorro, etc.)
  • No BES needed! No MDS needed!
Easy 1-2-3 Instructions:
  1. Upgrade your BlackBerryOS
    You need BlackBerry with OS 3.8 or later. If you have an older version of BlackBerryOS, please Download BlackBerryOS 4.0 and install it on your BlackBerry first.
  2. Configure your BlackBerry & Your Carrier
    On the BlackBerry handheld, go to Options -> TCP
    There is a new option in BlackBerryOS 3.8 and later. Then fill in APN with the provided APN listead in the below post, that is appropriate for your carrier. If no username or password is provided, leave these blank. If only a username is provided, then leave in the password. Also, ignore the Gateway IP address, unless your Blackberry specifically has a textbox to enter the IP address in. "APN" means "Access Point Name".
  3. Run your BlackBerry Internet Software
    Once you have filled this information, your Internet applications should work on your BlackBerry. TCP/IP makes Internet software work, including chat software: Verichat, WebMessenger, IRC, Telnet/SSH, Web browsing, etc.
Occasionally, some applications on the BlackBerry need to have the gateway or APN information entered directly into them. This is not common.

[*]Cingular - Now has TCP/IP; No MDS hosting needed
Go to Options->TCP
Username: ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Cingular works now, but it is a little tricky to set up at Cingular first by calling them. You have to telephone Cingular and ask for these line items to be added to your Cingular bill, if it does not already show up on your Cingular bill, called "Wireless Internet Express" (WIX for short) and "Wireless Internet Express Data Connect":
Quote:

WIX EXTENDED INTERNET $0.00
WIX DATA CONNECT $0.00
WRLSS INTRNT XPRS PAY PER USE $0.00
These items go by different names in some states, such as California, but essentially you need the same lineitems you would normally have for a regular cellphone for tethering it to a laptop computer. Next, you need to use the proper APN username and APN password as follows, in all uppercase, when you start the "BlackBerry Modem" connection when using Cingular:
Quote:

Username: ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM
It is very important to make sure that all the WIX lineitems are already on your bill, including "Wireless Internet Express DATA CONNECT". The last line item required for tethered modem operation with Cingular. Once this is done, then there is no more port blocking anymore! If you do not need modem operation, you do not need the third line item. You may have to telephone Cingular multiple times before you reach a Customer Service Representative that understands how to add these line items.

whensmett 01-25-2005 04:21 PM

AT&T 4.0 on T-Mo

Will the AT&T 4.0 work on the T-Mo 7100t? If it works is there anything I need to pay special attention during the upgrade?
Thanks
Pete

camisa 01-27-2005 10:09 AM

VZW 7750

Hello!

I applied the 4.0 OS upgrade to my VZW 7750. I have read the posts and your thread; of course I still do not have browsing capability. I have two questions. 1.) what should I do about being paranoid that my BB is slower now that I upgraded it to 4.0, and 2.) Why are there Verizon gateway IP addresses listed here if VZW does not work for BB web viewing?

Am I missing something? The guys at Verizon "Data Services" technical support told me he turned on a flag in my account for web browsing... and said I needed to read the forums to figure it all out; yet still no browser.

--Camisa

singberry 01-27-2005 05:27 PM

no surfing or emailviewer 3.5 from reqwireless

well whoever that posted the upgrade to OS4.0 (mark?) have been awfully quiet despite so many postings tat says it didnt work. well i hv gone thru the hard way and found tat most of the s.w like verichat, blackchat, emailviewer 3.5 and even webviewer 4.0 all wont work with OS4.0 at least not on my 7730 here. when i down grade to 3.7, not only i hv more memory space left 5mb verus 2mb on OS4.0, it definitely runs faster and all the WAP APN settings required by Emailviewer and Webviewer all works FINE! so guys go downgrade to OS3.7 (just go to control panel and uninstall OS4.0 then then restart Desktop Manager and it will prompt u if u wanna downgrade.. Happy surfing..

y2kelvin 01-28-2005 03:53 AM

APN info of "3" - Hong Kong

Does anyone know the APN info of "3" (previous named Orange) in Hong Kong?

y2kelvin 01-28-2005 04:12 AM

Re: APN info of "3" - Hong Kong

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kelvin
Does anyone know the APN info of "3" (previous named Orange) in Hong Kong?

By trial-and-error, I believe the setting is "internet". However, it is not always success. You get once for every four or five.

Kelvin

PhilJJ 01-28-2005 08:11 PM

Re: no surfing or emailviewer 3.5 from reqwireless

Quote:

Originally Posted by singberry
well whoever that posted the upgrade to OS4.0 (mark?) have been awfully quiet despite so many postings tat says it didnt work. well i hv gone thru the hard way and found tat most of the s.w like verichat, blackchat, emailviewer 3.5 and even webviewer 4.0 all wont work with OS4.0 at least not on my 7730 here. when i down grade to 3.7, not only i hv more memory space left 5mb verus 2mb on OS4.0, it definitely runs faster and all the WAP APN settings required by Emailviewer and Webviewer all works FINE! so guys go downgrade to OS3.7 (just go to control panel and uninstall OS4.0 then then restart Desktop Manager and it will prompt u if u wanna downgrade.. Happy surfing..

How did you downgrade it? I am trying to do it samehting... ummm

singberry 01-29-2005 04:14 AM

downgrading from OS4.0

Steps to downgrade:

1) go to control panel and remove the OS4.0
2) install yr OS3.7 (presumably u have already downloaded
3) start Desktop Manager (must stop it b4 u do step 2)
4) click on Application loader (it shld prompt you that u are downgrading)

that shld work for you and if u get any messages like No more applications to run etc... do the following:

1) go to c:\programfiles\common files\Research in motion\AppLoader
2) remove or rename vendor.xml file

redo step 4) above.

good luck

Mark Rejhon 01-29-2005 10:03 AM

Version 3.7 will not make most Internet software work unless you are already on BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

There are a lot of people that have succeeded on BlackBerryOS. Some people have problems. Not everybody does. If you are not having problems with 4.0, do not bother downgrading, especially if you are on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (wireless Outlook synchronization, Addressbook, Calendar, Contacts, etc, is a big feature of 4.0 if you are using BES/MDS)

I have made updates to this document:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=20472
This is required for North American carriers.

I don't have detailed information for Hong Kong carriers or other countries (Remember, I'm just an unpaid volunteer, this is a hobby.)

And singberry/PhilJJ, there are already instructions about downgrading BlackBerryOS -- It's posted as a sticky in the General forum. Didn't you notice? ;)

perficae 02-02-2005 10:35 PM

Question from Spain 7100v owner

I've been reading this thread and it sounds interesting, but I have a question concerning the subject matter.

My 7100v (Vodafone Spain) comes with two possiblities for accessing the interet, one is a free limitless approach for a flat fee that I pay and the other option is via WAP, in which case vodafone charges you anywhere from 0.50 to 5.00 euros per MB, depending on your rate plan.

I use the free access that comes with my rate plan. I have not tried the WAP version as I am not sure exactly what more I might get for the extra fees.

Anyway, my question is if the changes detailed in this thread are so that I can use instant messaging on the "free" internet access or is this for the WAP access? I hope this makes sense.

And if it's for the free version, does anyone know if I can install Skype on my BB 7100v?

bishman 02-03-2005 11:20 AM

Skype now there an idea!

Mark Rejhon 02-12-2005 05:25 AM

Good news!

T-Mobile Is Now Working Again: Ports Are NOW OPEN!

bernieg 02-13-2005 11:56 PM

I tryed but nextel is down and no tech support. their closed on sunday!! pay so much should be open???? sales rep told me earlier today.

mmcpher 02-14-2005 04:22 PM

AT&T or Cingular?

I am trying to get my 7100g, which is still running on an AT&T plan, configured for the Internet. I used to have a 7280, and did very little browsing, so I never bothered with the settings. I get to a few text-based sites through AT&T's mMode, and that's o.k. so far as it goes. But as I've tried to set up my new BB, it seems that its got greater capabilities than just displaying text from websites. I've tried using the AT&T settings for TCP and then the Cingular settings for TCP, but still its like being on compuserve, circa 1991 (text only). I have to confess that I am a BB dolt. I have the e-mail and phone functions down (my primary uses), but I still can't seem to access images or get decent functionality on the web. Could it be a built-in limitation from AT&T? How can I tell when it is configured properly?

Mobiplayer 02-18-2005 06:04 PM

Re: Question from Spain 7100v owner

Quote:

Originally Posted by perficae
I've been reading this thread and it sounds interesting, but I have a question concerning the subject matter.

My 7100v (Vodafone Spain) comes with two possiblities for accessing the interet, one is a free limitless approach for a flat fee that I pay and the other option is via WAP, in which case vodafone charges you anywhere from 0.50 to 5.00 euros per MB, depending on your rate plan.

I use the free access that comes with my rate plan. I have not tried the WAP version as I am not sure exactly what more I might get for the extra fees.

Anyway, my question is if the changes detailed in this thread are so that I can use instant messaging on the "free" internet access or is this for the WAP access? I hope this makes sense.

And if it's for the free version, does anyone know if I can install Skype on my BB 7100v?

Did the info listed here for Vodafone Spain worked for you? I can't get Verichat/midpssh/whatever to work on my 7100v (Vodafone Spain) :(

(Enviame un correo a [email address] para charlar sobre el tema, gracias!)

wplynchjr 02-21-2005 03:23 AM

Tmobile WAP browser not working if VeriChat Open

Here's something bizzare. Has anyone else experienced this?

If VeriChat is open and in the background, the WAP browser will fail to open and gives this message: "There was a problem rendering the page."

In order to browse, I have to close down VeriChat and take the battery out and replace.

I have wap.voicestream.com as the APN with my username and password and have T-Mobile's OS 4.0 installed. Is this a known issue, and is there a workaround?

Thanks - Bill

mookia 02-22-2005 04:23 AM

wow tmobile!!

I cant believe it is finally arrived with 4.0 S!! I love it and picutre attachments! fantastic!! You can even put picture on homescreen. cool? Love it. Thank to T-Mobile, thumb up!

mookia 02-22-2005 04:24 AM

website

Hi I wnat to know about website, can I access bank? Did T-mobile add java script? Have anyone you tried that? please let me know.

mookia 02-22-2005 04:26 AM

mailstreet outlook 2003

I lost my emails after restoring my computer and I thought mailstreet outlook save it for me but realize it is gone. AWWW I wonder if there is a way to get my old emails back? Help me!!

mookia 02-22-2005 04:28 AM

verichat

Hi i used verichiat for free trial and liked it so much. why do i have to pay for a year? sidesick has standard AIM included and no charge but blackberry? I hope that verichat consider to give free for all blackberries, dont you think so? It seems to me that if you want to add somethign on blackberry, they charge you each and too much for that. Sidesick add many things automatically for free. unfair GRR But even though I love my blackberry :P

mookia 02-22-2005 04:30 AM

forum

Im curious if there is blackberry forum for wireless, like you want to fedback on forum on your blackberry wireless instead of computer? I think it would be cool if you are out somewhere and you want to find problem solved right away or fedback when your head pop a question?! Please let me know if they have forum for wireless?

mookia 02-22-2005 04:32 AM

Berry 411

I downloaded berry 411 on my blackberry but im not sure how to use it. is it good enough? better than through website? have you had this one? how do you use it, pls help thanks.... :wink:

mookia 02-22-2005 04:33 AM

tcp

I have question for Mark R. My blackberry has tcp, so can i use CRS (relay service) without SSH (telnet)? Can you explain how I can use tcp wihtout SSH? many thanks! :)

mookia 02-22-2005 04:35 AM

Where is the stuff?

I forget what url address that you can add some stuff on homescreen blackberry such as dictionary? I cant remember everything! :oops:

campsean 02-22-2005 04:05 PM

Could Not Open Tunnel - Failed

Installed trial version of Verichat for testing purposes before I buy full copy. Put in APN settings according to Cingular specs.

Opened Verichat and tried to log into AIM, got a message saying..

Could Not Open Tunnel - Failed.

What could be the reason why i'm getting that message?

I'm using a Cingular 7280 Blackberry if that helps somewhat.

Thanks,
Sean

KuJaX 02-23-2005 07:15 AM

I have t-mobile with BB7230

basically the "tmobile user name" and "tmobile password", is that the username and password I choose for my

[email address]?

Pscobee 02-23-2005 06:17 PM

Newb alert!!

I have a similar question for T-Mobile... do I use my phone # for the password or my balckberry login info?

:shock:

Mark Rejhon 02-24-2005 08:53 AM

Same login info as http://www.t-mobile.com/bwc/

dotMaKu 02-24-2005 09:29 PM

ok, i called nextel and activated my TCP/IP, telling them i wanted the static ip added on2 my account, even though i had to go to 6 people to know what i was talking bout, but yeah the guy said it will take 24 hours for it to get into affect. one question i have to ask is, was i suppose to get a username and passowrd so i can add it into the TCP options into my phone? was i suppose to do anything to my phone so it can take into affect?

MadMax 02-25-2005 06:45 PM

where to get 4.0.0.204?

Hey Mark,

Verizon has 4.0 on their site and it seems to work okay, but it is 4.0.0.171. You mentioned that for CDMA, I would need 204? Where can I find that?

TIA,

MadMax

Mark Rejhon 02-25-2005 07:24 PM

Not available.
i.e. not possible to have a TCP/IP stack on 7750.

(At the moment I don't know if they'll ever release an update for the 7750.)

MadMax 02-25-2005 07:31 PM

Ha. Okay Mark. Thanks. I don't even have the 7750, I have a 6750. Getting close to my 2 yr with Verizon, so I will either upgrade to the 7250 or bail and get a sidekick. I like the blackberry better, but it's been a hassle lately. I have access to a BES, but don't want to use it. I can browse and all that stuff, so mostly working. Thanks again.

MadMax 02-25-2005 09:17 PM

Hi Mark,
One more question...My contract-end is actually a year off, so I am stuck with this phone for a while. I can go back to BES to get the MDS availability, but I have a question about mail. When I have the BES set up, mail that I send from my pager is apparently actually sent from my corporate email address, so replies go to my Exchange Server, etc. Is there a way to use the BES/MDS without that happening? I want my emails to come from my blackberry address, not my work address. Maybe a configuration issue?

MadMax

Mark Rejhon 02-25-2005 10:14 PM

The 7250 is very user friendly, it is very easy to install Verichat on a Verizon 7250 just simply by typing:
http://www.verichat.com/ota/VeriChat.jad
Into the BlackBerry Internet Browser.

The download just takes 2 minutes on the Verizon. No hassles, presto, and it works right away! This actually works on an out-of-the-box Verizon, no configuration needed. You don't even need to enter any APN information.

Also, don't get a Sidekick before you read this thread:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...t=498#post3494

Verizon lets you upgrade phones before your contract is finished - why not go for it? The 7250 is so vastly better than the 6750 in so many ways, much faster performing, has TCP/IP stack, etc.

You can also be set up on BES, and avoid using BES email. Just keep doing all your email through the BWC and ignore your BES. You can use BES only for MDS - for the use of TCP/IP internet access. You can change the "Using:" to "Web Client" instead of "Desktop", and you can make that your default, I believe. Just make sure others don't send any email to the email address you set up on your BES. (You could ask your administrator to set up a dummy email address on your BES, one that nobody else uses ... and keep using your existing corporate email address on your BWC, if you hate BES that much .... but I don't know why you would want to do that. The point is that you don't need to use email by BES)

MadMax 02-25-2005 10:37 PM

I'll probably wait on the upgrade. Too much money outlay lately :-) But where is this Using: parameter you speak of? In the Redirector settings? Or somewhere on the BB itself?

MadMax

mrogers 02-28-2005 02:11 AM

OK I have spent the better part of the day trying to understand how all this internet access stuff on BBs work, but I'm still a little lost. Let me just spell out my situation for you and maybe someone could be kind enough to spell out an answer for me :)

I currently am on a standard ATT voice plan with some limited data usage per month (I forget the exact MB, but it's like a $7 option, and I don't use it much because i hate browsing on tiny phone screens). I want to get a BB 7290 and the unlimited BB plan, which I understand is $45 a month on top of my voice plan. Now here's the real question: when I configure my new BB to use the TCP/IP settings in this thread so all my apps can access the Internet without a BES, does that usage go through my unlimited BB plan, or do I have to have an additional standard data plan? If the latter, that really is not cool...for $45/month, I should have unlimited access to the whole Internet. Someone please clarify this for me.

MadMax 02-28-2005 05:02 PM

Hi Mark. I don't hate BES, not really. I just don't want all my emails going to and from my bb to have to go through the BES first. I am the only user on the BES and if something happened to it, especially on a weekend, it would not be a high priority for IT to get it fixed. I wouldn't want my email connectivity to disappear, so I am VERY interested in what you said about using BES for the MDS only and having all email go the normal bwc route. How do I do that?

TIA
Max

MadMax 02-28-2005 05:24 PM

Looking at my Service Books, I realized I didn't have an entry for WebClient(CMIME). Sent another one from my bwc and now the Using: comment makes sense. Just need to figure out how to make it my default and I will be a happy camper until I can afford to step up to a new bb with a color screen. :D

MadMax 03-01-2005 08:44 PM

Hi Mark. I received a sidekick 2 today. Not for me, but for my wife. My daugher has one and most of the people at CSDF have one so I couldn't talk her into a blackberry. I had a deal where I could get a 957 for 20 bucks but she doesn't like the form factor. Anyway. I was getting it set up for her and can't get any connection in my office. Good thing I didn't go that route!

r111 03-02-2005 12:58 AM

For T-Mobile, what is ones username and password? Are they the ones used to log into BWC? Something else?

Mark Rejhon 03-02-2005 07:44 AM

r111 - Yes, the ones you use to log onto BWC. However, it was also reported keeping these blanks work as well.

Also, everyone, if you are having problems using a 7100 as a modem for laptop, you could give the BlackBerryOS 4.0.0.219 available for 7100g's (AT&T/Cingular) now available for download, which includes the modem drivers.

rforrest 03-02-2005 10:20 PM

Cingular WAP - IP address

Anyone know of another Gateway IP/Port/APN for Cingular than the one listed? Thanks.

mrogers 03-03-2005 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrogers
OK I have spent the better part of the day trying to understand how all this internet access stuff on BBs work, but I'm still a little lost. Let me just spell out my situation for you and maybe someone could be kind enough to spell out an answer for me :)

I currently am on a standard ATT voice plan with some limited data usage per month (I forget the exact MB, but it's like a $7 option, and I don't use it much because i hate browsing on tiny phone screens). I want to get a BB 7290 and the unlimited BB plan, which I understand is $45 a month on top of my voice plan. Now here's the real question: when I configure my new BB to use the TCP/IP settings in this thread so all my apps can access the Internet without a BES, does that usage go through my unlimited BB plan, or do I have to have an additional standard data plan? If the latter, that really is not cool...for $45/month, I should have unlimited access to the whole Internet. Someone please clarify this for me.

Can someone PLEASE clarify this for me? If I set up all this TCP/IP stuff, is the data usage going to get charged to my GPRS plan (or pay-per-use GPRS), or is that data usage charged to my unlimited Blackberry plan?

freddymanr 03-03-2005 09:12 PM

help with BB7520 and nextel

trying to use verichat,411 and webviewer witout BB plans, help, please

Exel 03-05-2005 05:58 PM

How to confirm static IP has been enabled?

Quote:

Nextel/Telus - iDEN - Works with TCP/IP
They are special because they are iDEN and more native TCP/IP. You need to order the static IP address option. This is done differently from the APN method. You have to call your Nextel/Telus customer service rep and order the static IP address, which is reported to cost about $4 extra per month for Nextel customers.
I called NeXTEL and asked them to enable this option. They claimed they did but I see nothing new under service books. They also did not seem to know what an APN was or whether I needed a user name/password. How can I confirm that the static IP option has been enabled?

Initially, I had Verichat working on my BB 7520. I then installed Blackchat and started having connection problems, which is why I went to enable the Static IP (also getting an error 738 when trying to dial out w/BB as a modem). Anyway, I removed BlackChat and reinstalled Verichat and now THAT is having conneciton problems. I get the PDAapps screen with Verichat under it and the sliding bar and it never negotiates a connection.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW,

Here's the detail from my modem query:

Hardware ID: mdmgen

Command Response
----------------------------------------
ATQ0V1E0 Success
AT+GMM COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+FCLASS=? 0,2,8
AT#CLS=? (0,2,8)
AT+GCI? COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI=? COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
ATI1 Motorola iDEN plus series
ATI2 RAE.00.00
ATI3 Oct/07/2004 08:18:36
ATI4 Motorola, iDEN
ATI5 Success
ATI6 Success
ATI7 Success

Again, when trying to dial out-
TCP/IP reported error 738: The server did not assign an address

csmyth 03-05-2005 07:05 PM

Help for MSN Messenger setup on UK t-Mobile Blackberries

Has anybody managed to successfully get MSN Messenger going in any form on a UK TMobile Blackberry 7230? I tried installing verichat but got stuck because the local TMobile team wouldnt install the APN wap.voicestream.com which seems to work on US versions.

Any help would be appreciated, if there is another program I should use, that would also be great to know.

cheers

Campbell

Exel 03-07-2005 04:02 AM

7520 Update

I confirmed I have static IP option w/Nextel Support and all my apps are working a-ok now. Verichat is able to sign on to all IM networks and it is working hunkey-dorey. I questioned CS on the inability to use the 7520 as a modem and was informed that they get many questions about this feature via the BB and unfortunately it is just not capable of doing so right now. Reportedly, it is under review for development on whether this feature will become available on the 7520 in the future. Considering the exorbitant amount of cash that is spent on a monthly plan to have all the features of a BB enabled, it is quite exasperating that a basic feature as "laptop-connect" is not functional on a hand-held that is chock-full-o-nuts and lacking in salt.

Oh, and to re-instate what is already in the main post of this thread:

APN/UID/PSWD - ALL BLANK for NeXTEL

If my carrier doesn't see it in their way to make laptop-connect an available feature, rest assured I'll keep my eyes peeled for any hacks that make this possible. I am always on the go, and the BB is righteous for being just so, but every now and then you need a little more power to doing things while mobile.

On that note, I understand that you can only interface with the BB when it is in sync mode via Desktop Manager - does this eliminate the possibility of sync'ing with a PDA if the DM isn't available for CE devices? Just a thought...

><

dozment 03-07-2005 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrogers
Can someone PLEASE clarify this for me? If I set up all this TCP/IP stuff, is the data usage going to get charged to my GPRS plan (or pay-per-use GPRS), or is that data usage charged to my unlimited Blackberry plan?

I am a Cingular customer, and I have the unlimited Blackberry plan on my account. Since I purchased my 7290 in December, I have never had a data charge outside of the $45 Blackberry unlimited plan charge. In addition to email and the browser that came with the 7290 I use Verichat, an SSH client, and I have played with Reqwireless' browser and mail client. I think it is safe to say that you will not be charged. However, since there seem to be so many ways to set up the account, I would be careful. I did very little data on mine the first month I had it just in case I was going to be charged on the pay-per-use GPRS plan.

I hope this helps!

Dan

Eric5273 03-07-2005 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dozment
I am a Cingular customer, and I have the unlimited Blackberry plan on my account. Since I purchased my 7290 in December, I have never had a data charge outside of the $45 Blackberry unlimited plan charge. In addition to email and the browser that came with the 7290 I use Verichat, an SSH client, and I have played with Reqwireless' browser and mail client. I think it is safe to say that you will not be charged. However, since there seem to be so many ways to set up the account, I would be careful. I did very little data on mine the first month I had it just in case I was going to be charged on the pay-per-use GPRS plan.

I hope this helps!

Dan

Can I ask which APN you use in the TCP settings?

I tried using wap.cingular, but it only worked after I called BlackBerry support and had them add the "pay per use" WIX Internet line items to my account. They told me I would probably be charged for the extra data used over this APN. I hope they are wrong.

But I also see that you can use isp.cingular, proxy, or according to the Reqwireless website instructions you can use blackberry.net. I would really like to find a solution that does not have any extra data charges.

dozment 03-07-2005 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric5273

Sure! Here are my TCP settings...

Username for APN: [email address]
Password for APN: CINGULAR1

Eric5273 03-07-2005 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dozment
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric5273

Sure! Here are my TCP settings...

Username for APN: [email address]
Password for APN: CINGULAR1

Just curious, but did you have to call Cingular support and have them add the WIX Internet line items to your account as per Mark's instructions, or did these settings work from the beginning?

dozment 03-07-2005 05:10 PM

[quote="Eric5273
Just curious, but did you have to call Cingular support and have them add the WIX Internet line items to your account as per Mark's instructions, or did these settings work from the beginning?[/quote]

No, by some miracle mine had everything in the beginning. Here's what I have on my bill:

/WIX EXTENDED INTERNET $0.00
/WIX DATA CONNECT $0.00
/WRLSS INTRNT XPRS PAY PER USE $0.00
XM WITH BB AND V UN

amino 03-09-2005 03:33 PM

Cingular - TCP/IP Data Connect with no BES (Verichat)

Here is how Cingular was able to fix the Verichat issue for me.

a) Cingular BB Product Mgmt Rep (+1-866-490-2666) suggested not to refer to the feature as WIX (Wireless Internet Express) but instead use "Data Connect" so Customer Service will understand better.

b) BB Product Mgmt Rep also said that I should use the following TCP/IP settings in my BB:

Usr Name: [email address]

Instead of:

c) He then transferred me to a Customer Service Rep (Activations) and I said that since my company does not provide me with BES that I needed to add "Data Connect" services to my bill in addition to the Unlimited Data Plan.

He added the lines to my acccount/bill:

WIX DATA CONNECT $0.00

d) After the features were added to my account, hanged up and tried connecting to Verichat and it worked perfectly.

Important Note on APN settings: I tried wap.cingular and Verichat worked, changed it to isp.cingular and Verichat did not work.

Hope this helps for all those Cinglular customers in the US that do not have to a company sponsored BES.

Good Luck.

Eric5273 03-09-2005 05:17 PM

amino: I did the same exact thing to get Verichat to work. But it sounds like the Blackberry support people you spoke to were more helpful.

mkmpanic 03-16-2005 11:11 PM

so i have cingular, no BES, and cannot get Verichat to work. i have
user: [email address]
pass: cingular1
"force MDS" is unchecked
does anyone with cingular have a solution?
i am getting this error: "could not open tunnel- failed"
please help. thanks

NEXTEL347 03-16-2005 11:24 PM

Blackberry Browser On 7520

I Have The Blackberry 7520 And Have An Employee Blackberry Email Service With Public Ip, Based On The Web Client Not Bes. I Have Nol And Webviewr Both Work Fine. The Blackberry Browser Is Locked Out By Nextel B/c They Don't Want You Doing Html Browsing. Anyway I Found The Bb Browser Appears On The 7510 Somehow But Not The 7520. I Took The Service Book From My Old 7510 And Copied It To My 7520 And I Have The Bb Browser On My 7520 Now. Problem Is It Will Not Work, Will Not Connect To Inernet, It Did Work On The 7510. So I Suppose Nextel Needs To Unlock Some Features.

jacobsaa 03-17-2005 07:48 PM

Network with Verichat

Just set up my network/TCP so that verichat works without BES. It works great and it is all surprisingly quick. I got the instructions from above. Thanks Mark!!!!!!

sm803 03-18-2005 07:57 PM

Cingular Solution?

Hi, I'm new, but I registered so i could help with the language to use with Cingular reps.

Set up your TCP settings with the wap.cingular apn described above.

Then call cingular customer service.

Ask for the following:
The MediaNet plan, and wap.cingular to be added into your account.

The plans come with different sizes of data, and then a charge for every KB above your monthly allowance. You don't get a monthly charge if you just get the "pay per KB"- but it's $.13 per KB. However, I've been told that at the end of the day you won't be charged.

For your first month, if you're lucky, they'll give you a promo so you can figure out what you're being charged for. I'll let you know...

Mark Rejhon 03-19-2005 01:01 AM

Often, if there's at least one Unlimited Data plan (BlackBerry plan), your pay-per-use non-BlackBerry data gets rolled into that. At least, that's the way it has been for most Cingular users. Occasionally, Cingular gets away with charging users data.

It's kind of hit-and-miss, but ideally, you shouldn't get charged if you use the pay-per-use non-BlackBerry kilobites in the prescence of an Unlimited Data BlackBerry plan.

The mere prescence of an Unlimited Data plan, should ideally override the prescence of a pay-per-use non-BlackBerry Data plan. It's just that due to a technicality on Cingular, the non-BlackBerry plan must be added in order to get 3rd party Internet applications working on a Cingular BlackBerry.

It gets confusing I know, Cingular definitely needs to simplify this by automatically adding the APN to all BlackBerries.

Try it for 1 month, and if there's a problem, dispute the charge with Cingular. I know that with other carriers such as T-Mobile, they never charge for non-BlackBerry usage on the Unlimited plan.

sm803 03-19-2005 05:08 PM

Thanks Mark, I'm hoping it'll work that way. I've talked to three different people at Cingular and , of course, they told me three different things from "sorry blackberries can't use TCP/IP" to "it's another $25 a month for that."

I wonder if I should return and get the Verizon 7250?

pdecrem 03-23-2005 10:51 PM

I just purchased a 7250 and have trouble getting verichat to work. downloaded 1.96 from website(ota download did not work in either blackberry browser or internet browser). I am getting failed to transmit error messages. tried both force mds and t-mobile, non bes.

Is this the wrong version?

Mark Rejhon 03-24-2005 05:00 AM

Which carrier? Verizon should have working TCP/IP.

vapochilled 03-24-2005 05:45 AM

I have cingular and it's not working, I'm a little worried(as work pay the bill) to go adding services at this stage, shame because I'm loosing a text pager for this BB, and now find I can't IM

Eric5273 03-24-2005 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vapochilled
I have cingular and it's not working, I'm a little worried(as work pay the bill) to go adding services at this stage, shame because I'm loosing a text pager for this BB, and now find I can't IM

Do you have BES? If so, then you do not need to use TCP/IP. If not, then you can always pay $10/month and get a MDS service. Then you could pay that out of your own pocket (If IM is worth $10/month to you).

BigWilli 03-29-2005 02:19 PM

Settings for Verichat

Hi, I am Vodafone Germany User.
Can somebody tell me how I have to setup my settings for my Blackberry 7290?
I looked thorugh the forum but couldnīt find.
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Willi

wireless18 04-03-2005 05:53 PM

7750 Verizon

Hi,

Just looking through this thread and was a little confused if it is saying that a BB 7750 with Verizon can now be used for 3rd party apps that require BES/MDS ??

Would be great if that is the case.

cheers
Jonathan
http://www.wireless18.com

p.s sorry Willi I do not know the German Vodaphone settings.

tegllc 04-04-2005 01:17 PM

Thanks for this information - very helpful.
I'm trying to connect verichat and I'm getting the following error when I try to log in "could not find a service book entry..."
What does this mean and how do I fix it? I'm a BB newbie so bear with me.
I'm on Cingular with a BB 7100g.
.)

Mark Rejhon 04-04-2005 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wireless18
Just looking through this thread and was a little confused if it is saying that a BB 7750 with Verizon can now be used for 3rd party apps that require BES/MDS ??

This is not yet possible, but I am guessing that it might be possible once Version 4.0.0.204 or later comes out for the 7750. (Version 4.0.0.204 is what are preinstalled on 7250's) As of right now, there's no such new release for 7750's yet.

No guarantees that it will work, though.

Mark Rejhon 04-04-2005 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigWilli
Hi, I am Vodafone Germany User.
Can somebody tell me how I have to setup my settings for my Blackberry 7290?
I looked thorugh the forum but couldnīt find.
Thanks in advance.

See if you can find out what the recommended APN is (for regular cellphones on your network, not just BlackBerry). You may wish to check the list on Reqwireless' website, or google for listings of APN's and see if an APN is listed. Once you find out, you can give that APN a try.

ukexpat 04-07-2005 12:57 PM

T-Mobile Problem

Folks, thanks for all the useful postings.

One question about the T-Mobile config. I have a BB 7730 with v4.0 OS and we use the Notes BES with internet connectivity disabled. I set the TCP settings as set out at the beginning of this thread but no luck. I called T-M support and their second level BB guy said that I cannot use the wap APN to get round the fact that our BES has internet access disabled. Was he b/s'ing me? Anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks.

blabber 04-07-2005 08:12 PM

Cingular Makes You Jump Through Hoops

It can be quite an ordeal sometimes to get this to work. It took me four calls over three different days and different time periods to get CIngular to add the WIX lines to my 7290 account. The first CSR had no idea what I was talking about. The second one knew but refused to help. The third one seemed to know and said she'd make the changes but apparently didn't.

The fourth one was the winner. He knew who to ask about it, and left the line. Then, a near catastrophe occurred. While I was on hold waiting for him to come back, I fat-fingered the landline phone I was using, trying to put him on my speakerphone, and instead disconnected the call. ARGH!! D'oh!!

I thought, well, this is it, I give up. But less than an hour later, I thought, what the heck, maybe he followed through. I pulled the battery, rebooted, and HEY! Verichat (trial version) now works. I didn't even get to say thanks, due to my fumbling my landline phone. :(

Now that I've had it for a few days, I have a few questions I can't seem to find answers to:

1) Does the paid version have more features than the trial?

2) Why does it seem to die every day, with the only way to fix it is to remove the battery for full reboot? It won't reconnect to AIM by just turning Verichat off and on again, and I hate to have to remove the battery every morning.

Thanks! Be persistent, keep bugging your carrier, and put the APN settings exactly as Mark says, and have fun!

blabber =%^)

P.S. I am still not yet upgraded to version 4.0 but this still worked.

Liam_ONeil 04-08-2005 12:42 AM

BB729 IM+ Pulling out my hair!

I am trying to get my IM+ to work on my BB7290 w/ BES. When I switch to TCP/IP setting, I cannot get to the server no matter what apn settings I use.

In http mode I can send messages but cannot receive. Can someboby please help me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amino
Here is how Cingular was able to fix the Verichat issue for me.

a) Cingular BB Product Mgmt Rep (+1-866-490-2666) suggested not to refer to the feature as WIX (Wireless Internet Express) but instead use "Data Connect" so Customer Service will understand better.

b) BB Product Mgmt Rep also said that I should use the following TCP/IP settings in my BB:

Instead of:

c) He then transferred me to a Customer Service Rep (Activations) and I said that since my company does not provide me with BES that I needed to add "Data Connect" services to my bill in addition to the Unlimited Data Plan.

He added the lines to my acccount/bill:

WIX DATA CONNECT $0.00

d) After the features were added to my account, hanged up and tried connecting to Verichat and it worked perfectly.

Important Note on APN settings: I tried wap.cingular and Verichat worked, changed it to isp.cingular and Verichat did not work.

Hope this helps for all those Cinglular customers in the US that do not have to a company sponsored BES.

Good Luck.

selector 04-08-2005 11:36 PM

Quote:

Vodafone (UK)
Gateway IP: 212.183.137.12
APN: wap.vodafone.uk
username: [email address]
password: user

Mark,

Is the APN for Vodafone Uk supposed to be: wap.vodafone.co.uk?

Is this for WAP only or can be used for TCP as well?

bbgirl 04-13-2005 06:49 PM

I have read this entire thread, and still am a little unsure.

I have BES, with MDS, I have 7100 with 3.8 and get the error on one bb

"unable to open a PDP context to the following APN."

wap.voicestream.com

What the....?

but on another 7100 same OS, I do not get that message.

Man, what is going on....

Mark Rejhon 04-13-2005 08:21 PM

Remove the "wap.voicestream.com" APN from Options->TCP->APN

It's usually unnecessary when you are using BES with MDS.

Just so youknow! :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbgirl
I have read this entire thread, and still am a little unsure.

I have BES, with MDS, I have 7100 with 3.8 and get the error on one bb

"unable to open a PDP context to the following APN."

wap.voicestream.com

What the....?

but on another 7100 same OS, I do not get that message.

Man, what is going on....

ckelsoe 04-13-2005 11:34 PM

Quote:

[*]Cingular - Now has TCP/IP; No MDS hosting needed
Go to Options->TCP
Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Cingular works now, though you may have to call Cingular to make sure that you ask for the "Data Connect" plan added in addition to your existing "BlackBerry Unlimited Data". Both data plans are required simultaneously. Once this is done, you will have several additional line items that show up on your Cingular bill.The wap.cingular APN is the official Cingular recommended APN. Exact instructions for telephoning Cingular to configure your account is listed here. Occasionally, Cingular Blue users may have to use an APN of "proxy" with blank username and password. An alternate configuration is an APN of "isp.cingular" with username "ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM" and password of "CINGULAR1". More info in this this thread and alternate Cingular contact information in this thread.

With the additional Data Connect plan, are you paying for two data plans (blackberry and the data connect?

Thanks, Charles

bbgirl 04-14-2005 02:47 PM

thanks MJ, thats what I thought, but this one particular bb gets that message...I"m going to ignore it, because she can actually surf, so oh well.

herrde 04-15-2005 10:03 AM

T-Mobile Germany APN

Hi there,

just to let you know - there are TWO possible APN settings in Options/TCP for Germany! There is

wap.t-d1.de (but this is WAP only!!!)

and

internet.t-d1.de (all other internet connections)

(leave username and password blank in both cases!)

With internet.t-d1.de, bbToday and similar applications run smoothly!

All the best,

Gero

spamber 04-15-2005 10:23 PM

Ok I have a blackberry 7100g with cellularone service. Has anyone managed to get the TCP/IP to work? When I enter the APN that the CSR gave me and reset my phone by taking out the battery, my browser can no longer connect. Will I have to do something special to get it to work? Its the only reason I paid full price for this phone.
Forgot to mention that I am a personal user, and I would like to use my 3rd party apps, such as telnet and IM+.

Mark Rejhon 04-15-2005 11:40 PM

Follow the steps in the "Internet Browser FAQ" in my BlackBerry FAQ link below. Including the "Options->Host Routing Tables->Register Now" (via Blackberry) ... as well as the "Send Internet Browsing Service Book" (via your BWC account).

spamber 04-16-2005 02:28 PM

Not having a problem with my browser...

I'm having problems getting the TCP/IP to work with the APN (cellular1.wap) that the CSR gave me, so none of the applications I downloaded can connect.
reqwireless webviewer and IM+, as well as the telnet program. When I put in the APN under TCP/IP in my settings, then reset my phone, nothing works, including my blackberry browser, nothing can connect. Do I need to call cellular one again and ask them if they have TCP/IP disabled?

nassarnaim 04-18-2005 08:01 AM

Hi Mark,

I would like to first thank you for your effort on this site it is truly helpful. I have done the above recommended to get my unlocked blackberry to work with a different sim but was wondering if it works can I still use the built in blackberry software to check mail and to browse or do I need to download 3rd. party programs like ReqWireless browser and email viewer for it to work?

Again thank you.

Regards,

Naim

Mark Rejhon 04-18-2005 08:41 AM

You've got to have a BlackBerry-enabled SIM card. Make sure your alternate SIM already has a BlackBerry subscription on it.