BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   fastest email (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=126680)

Chaseh140 04-23-2008 12:21 PM

fastest email

whats the best and fastest way to access email, is it setting up a gmail account of just having your regular email forwarded to your bb account and do you use pop3 or imap????

jonabyte 04-23-2008 12:53 PM

i have found gmail to be the fastest on my device...

Dubdub 04-23-2008 01:01 PM

If you feel you need it in real time, then gmail is probably the way to go. Not professional if you are a business person, but it does arrive in a hurry.

Chaseh140 04-23-2008 01:06 PM

ive tried setting up outlook with my gmail account with IMAP and it takes forever for it to show up on my computer so i wasnt real sure about going with gmail although POP3 works fine with my internet providers email

hdawg 04-23-2008 01:10 PM

The FASTEST way for bis mail is to deliver it to your @carrier.blackberry.net email address.

My mail is set as follows:

mail to: [email address] goes to my mailbox and a copy also gets forwarded to [email address]. The only faster way for delivery would be to direct mail directly at my blackberry.net email address, but I won't do that.

Yes I can't reconcile for crap, but it gets the mail there as fast as possible, which is most important for me.

pilot1 04-23-2008 08:19 PM

I do the same as HDAWG. You do get a duplicate, but it is worth it for your main e-mail acount. It comes in almost instantly for me to the blackberry.net and then any where from 1 to 15 minutes for the main email address.

Whoooooo-Kid 04-23-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdawg (Post 905694)
The FASTEST way for bis mail is to deliver it to your @carrier.blackberry.net email address.

i agree (y)

blakeatl 04-23-2008 08:38 PM

Gmail for me.

djm2 04-23-2008 09:17 PM

One issue that I have with gmail -- at least I suspect that this is the business model that drives gmail -- is that you are in essence providing a database of all your emails for Google to use to create advertising that is targeted at you. I'm not sure that I like that.

Where is my tin foil hat?:razz:

Dubdub 04-23-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdawg (Post 905694)

My mail is set as follows:

mail to: [email address] goes to my mailbox and a copy also gets forwarded to [email address]. The only faster way for delivery would be to direct mail directly at my blackberry.net email address, but I won't do that.

Yes I can't reconcile for crap, but it gets the mail there as fast as possible, which is most important for me.

there are several reasons that i do not recommend using the carrier supplied email address.

First it is not filtered so you open yourself up for tons of SPAM if the address gets out and there isn't much you can do once it does.

Second, you can only read mail tot hat account on your BB. Therefore if there is a RIM our BB data outage, you are out of luck, unless you have a laptop or PC to use.

Third, since you do not own the address, you can't take the address with you when you change carriers.

Fourth, the address can change at any time.

If these are not a problem for you, be my guest and use it. it is pretty quick.

Sith_Apprentice 04-23-2008 10:34 PM

with him forwarding the copy from his [email address] email address, it is simple to just change his carrier BIS email address that it copies to. If he gets spam on one, just delete it, create a new one and change where the copy gets sent to. same thing with changing carriers.

akosnitzky 04-24-2008 02:07 AM

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

With the HDawg scenario where will the sent mail show? I am assuming it would show on the bb e-mail address instead of the domain e-mail address. :-(

Sith_Apprentice 04-24-2008 02:08 AM

autoBCC to his [email address] and then just set a filter so he doesnt see messages sent from himself.

hdawg 04-24-2008 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 906232)
autoBCC to his [email address] and then just set a filter so he doesnt see messages sent from himself.

Thank you my most trusted consiglieri.

Sith_Apprentice 04-24-2008 02:11 AM

i have this set up for my carrier.blackberry.net email

akosnitzky 04-24-2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 906232)

But if I want to go to a desktop it wont show the sent message. I wont have a means of saving certain sent e-mail. Am I missing something?

Sith_Apprentice 04-24-2008 02:19 AM

if you go to a desktop and log into your domain email, you will see your sent email in your inbox, you will also see the received email in your inbox...

email comes into [email address]. a copy is kept there
second copy goes to [email address]
you read the email and reply
reply is sent as [email address] but comes from [email address]
a BCC is sent to [email address] and arrives in the inbox

so you have a copy of the received message and the sent message in your inbox

hdawg 04-24-2008 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akosnitzky (Post 906243)
But if I want to go to a desktop it wont show the sent message. I wont have a means of saving certain sent e-mail. Am I missing something?

through the carrier web interface I have it set to bcc [email address] on any sent mail. that sent mail then goes back to my mail server ... when outlook picks it up it files it in my sent items as read, and while I could easily setup a filter on my bb to filter the message, I save the Internet a little traffic and use a procmail rule to not send out a copy of the message.