BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Please help me with sync options - urgent (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=215740)

mhw100 01-05-2010 01:59 PM

Please help me with sync options - urgent

Hi guys. I've done as much research as I can understand for a newbe and it seems that Notifysync or BPS Express are really the only robust alternatives for a single user wanting to sync to my work emails, contacts, calendar in an Activesync environment.

I don't want to go to the simple solution of swapping to iPhone which everyone else seems to now be using in our small office. I've got about a week left to decide and do not want to give up my 9700 and swing over to the iphone if I can't find a solution.

Questions:
1. Does BPS express allow me to to still have my other emails coming into the phone or is the phone completely controlled by the Administrator? ...or does it only control my work mailbox, contacts, calendar.

2. Does the Administrator have the ability to log other personal emails, web traffic etc?

3. Is the iPhone sync safe for work stuff? I keep reading that is not that secure like BB.

Thanks in advance.

Dubdub 01-05-2010 03:04 PM

Why not use Outlook and BIS or Google (contacts and calendar) and BIS (email)? Email doesn't sync, but is that a 100% necessity?

mhw100 01-05-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1541380)
Why not use Outlook and BIS or Google (contacts and calendar) and BIS (email)? Email doesn't sync, but is that a 100% necessity?

Yes I do need that ota ability.

djm2 01-06-2010 11:08 AM

1. You can add other accounts with BPS. I have 3 extra on mine. Biggest head ache is making sure that calendar appointments go onto the "right" calendar -- which for me is always the one associated with the BPS account.

2. Check the FAQ section for a document on what administrators can and cannot see.

3. I believe that the BB is more secure than an iPhone, but then I drink the Kool-Aide! ;-)

Another option for you is a hosted exchange account. That will also give you OTA access to everything. What is your current corporate email structure?

Dubdub 01-06-2010 11:28 AM

Given your needs, I concur with djm2's suggestion of a hosted BES option, such as exchangemymail or mailstreet, if you do not/cannot have your own corporate BES implementation.

Blackfryar 01-08-2010 02:53 AM

I've just purchased NotifySync after a 14 day free trial. This enables me to wirelessly sync my OWA Outlook email, calendar, task list and contacts seamlessly without any interference with my personal emails. My IT Dept will of course have access to my work emails as OWA is accessed via the WAN, but crucially not my personal emails. NotifySync is easy to install and the back up support service is excellent.