BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rants and Raves Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   I could rant, but I'm in the Zone instead (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=213850)

aiharkness 12-15-2009 11:33 AM

Wirelessly posted (8820)

It won't be a surprise to many, but my free memory took a big hit with the upgrade to 4.5. I first noticed it when I started using app world (... the memory report at the top of the screen) and started paying attention. Things came to a head for me the other day when I got a memory warning when upgrading an app. I went ahead and canceled the install, did a hard reset to free up memory, then installed the app.

My situation was 10-11 MB free immediately after a hard reset, and down to as low as 5 during use. It wasn't causing serious problems, though I wondered if performance should be more responsive. I just tolerated it as long as I could. The memory warning was the last straw, however.

So, I found John Clark's optimization post and looked at what I could do. I like voice dialing and didn't want to remove that. But I don't need the extra default themes.

I removed all the theme cod's except for L (the one I use). Bad move. But adding back the BB Dimension Zen theme fixed things. I didn't even lose my customization.

So now, after a hard reset, I'm up to 14-15 MB free. And I think response is much more snappy. I don't run a lot of apps anyway, so having to decide what I really need (and what I really don't need) is not an inconvenience for me. If I'm not using an app much, I delete it. (I'm using Trip Case, Bing, Livestrong, Weather Eye, Fox News Alert, Blackberry App World, ÜberTwitter, and Pandora. I also had removed the original BBM and installed the latest version.)

Moving those cod's and running loader.exe was so cool, it put me in that technological happy zone where you say to yourself, "That is so neat!"

So, my advice to those who need it is: Don't get mad and complain, do something about it. Just fix it. (And if you can't fix it, find another device that works for you.)

kathrynhr 12-15-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1527977)
So, my advice to those who need it is: Don't get mad and complain, do something about it. Just fix it. (And if you can't fix it, find another device that works for you.)

Am I the only one wondering if this remark is aimed at a specific troll? 8-)

Flight714 12-18-2009 03:17 PM

The point that y'all are missing is...

wait....*holds head* what just....what just happened?

I don't know what came over me.

Noodle22 12-18-2009 06:18 PM

@aiharkness: I guess it makes you feel more in control of what's going on with your phone. That's what I like about my blackberry. There are solutions and options and lot's of neat tips and tricks.

aiharkness 12-18-2009 06:33 PM

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Yeah, but that dang DM! It started prompting me that new device software is available, and I know it is not. But I clinked install or whatever, so it would go through the motions, figure out I have the latest tmo release, and reset whatever it is that needs to be reset.

Well, I did, and it did, again. But this time it went through and added back the COD's. No big deal, I just ran loader and it removed them, but there's still the irritation. There's other little things with DM that are adding up and getting under my skin. ... But I can manage.

aiharkness 12-19-2009 12:17 PM

When DM keeps prompting to upgrade the device software (and if you don't want to turn the feature off):

View Document 0 243742230

CoDudette 12-22-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1528055)
Am I the only one wondering if this remark is aimed at a specific troll? 8-)

hey.. where did that fine gentleman with a mullet disappear? :)

tom0100 12-22-2009 03:33 PM

Seriously consider an 8900 or a 9700

I went to lunch with my boss who has an 8900 and I have a 9700 and I commented that I wasn't sure why people were using the 9000 or anything less than 256meg of os memory. (dumb business talk while we answered emails on our BB's at lunch) With so many apps now for download...it's hard to keep available memory down to a decent level and keep the BB fast.

I had a pearl way back and it was a DOG...slow!!! The 8900 was REALLY fast with the memory boost of 256meg and then the 9700 with the memory AND the better processor? FAST. I also do battery pulls like crazy;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1527977)
Wirelessly posted (8820)

It won't be a surprise to many, but my free memory took a big hit with the upgrade to 4.5. I first noticed it when I started using app world (... the memory report at the top of the screen) and started paying attention. Things came to a head for me the other day when I got a memory warning when upgrading an app. I went ahead and canceled the install, did a hard reset to free up memory, then installed the app.

My situation was 10-11 MB free immediately after a hard reset, and down to as low as 5 during use. It wasn't causing serious problems, though I wondered if performance should be more responsive. I just tolerated it as long as I could. The memory warning was the last straw, however.

So, I found John Clark's optimization post and looked at what I could do. I like voice dialing and didn't want to remove that. But I don't need the extra default themes.

I removed all the theme cod's except for L (the one I use). Bad move. But adding back the BB Dimension Zen theme fixed things. I didn't even lose my customization.

So now, after a hard reset, I'm up to 14-15 MB free. And I think response is much more snappy. I don't run a lot of apps anyway, so having to decide what I really need (and what I really don't need) is not an inconvenience for me. If I'm not using an app much, I delete it. (I'm using Trip Case, Bing, Livestrong, Weather Eye, Fox News Alert, Blackberry App World, ÜberTwitter, and Pandora. I also had removed the original BBM and installed the latest version.)

Moving those cod's and running loader.exe was so cool, it put me in that technological happy zone where you say to yourself, "That is so neat!"

jsconyers 12-24-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoDudette (Post 1532878)
hey.. where did that fine gentleman with a mullet disappear? :)

He has returned. See http://www.blackberryforums.com/rant...anna-read.html

aiharkness 12-24-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1534502)

Maybe Santa will bring him a clue for Christmas.

jsconyers 12-24-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1534505)
Maybe Santa will bring him a clue for Christmas.

Haha, we can only hope.