BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Oh No! Dust…….. (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=20370)

kwilkins 11-30-2005 02:13 PM

Oh No! Dust……..

I’ve just noticed that I have 5 or 6 dust spots that appear to be under the screen of my 8700.

Has anyone else noticed dust showing up?

krad 11-30-2005 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwilkins
I’ve just noticed that I have 5 or 6 dust spots that appear to be under the screen of my 8700.

Has anyone else noticed dust showing up?

yepp!!! i got lots of dust. Had to open it up and spray it with compressed air.

richard371 11-30-2005 02:34 PM

This is bad news. Sounds like the device is not sealed properly. Having mild OCD that will drive me nuts if a dust particle is under the sreen.

ScottM 11-30-2005 02:35 PM

Same here ... just noticed some dust today. Does it accumulate or has it always been there? Was it hard to clean out?

richard371 11-30-2005 02:42 PM

Do you guys use pocket or clip? I can see the screen by looking at the crack where the send and end buttons are and that's where dust can get in. I am sure if they get enough complaints they will put black foam or rubber seal between the screen and the plastic cover. This would be fairly cheap and simple.

When you took it apart was there any kinda of sealing material in place around the screen?

djp24 12-01-2005 05:11 PM

No dust...(yet), but I have a noticeable separation on the bottom left. You can see into the device, where you can basically see the keypad backlight. I have some concerns that dust will enter there.

Boy Genius 12-01-2005 09:07 PM

Yes dust in my screen and I only use plastic clip...same with krad had to open it up and spray the **** out of it

mqlq76 12-01-2005 10:42 PM

How did you take it apart to spray the dust off?

Sparkomatic 12-01-2005 10:52 PM

I noticed that there is a gap on the sides of my device where the keyboard layer meets the side layers. Light escapes at night. Not a good sign for future dust problems.

Boy Genius 12-01-2005 10:54 PM

remove the case...3 screws in the back then take apart the case...

greggebhardt 12-02-2005 07:17 AM

I was afraid of the "DUST" thing. I don't care what you do, with the three buttons right under the screen area, dust is gfoing to get inside, if not there somewhere else. I have a bad feeling that the build quality of the 8700 does not compare to the older Blackberrys like the 7520 that I used for years without any dust.

I am also quite concerned about the screen getting scratched. Seem it is not made of the same hard material of the older Blackberrys.

Time will tell but I do not think the 8700 will hold up as well in everyday use.

krad 12-02-2005 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggebhardt
I was afraid of the "DUST" thing. I don't care what you do, with the three buttons right under the screen area, dust is gfoing to get inside, if not there somewhere else. I have a bad feeling that the build quality of the 8700 does not compare to the older Blackberrys like the 7520 that I used for years without any dust.

I am also quite concerned about the screen getting scratched. Seem it is not made of the same hard material of the older Blackberrys.

Time will tell but I do not think the 8700 will hold up as well in everyday use.

YOu can say what you want about build quality. I opened up my 7100 the other day and find a dust bunny around the jog wheel that was so large it was actually effecting the jog wheel... I thought i wore it out. Nope... it was dust. I spread the **** out of that one now. Now it works like brand new again. Everything gets dust... nothing is air tight.

PacketRat 12-02-2005 07:28 AM

This reminds me of the old iPAQ dust wars.. ahhhh what a battle that was.

greggebhardt 12-02-2005 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krad
YOu can say what you want about build quality. I opened up my 7100 the other day and find a dust bunny around the jog wheel that was so large it was actually effecting the jog wheel... I thought i wore it out. Nope... it was dust. I spread the shit out of that one now. Now it works like brand new again. Everything gets dust... nothing is air tight.

Having a "dust bunny" around you jog wheel is quite different that having it trapped inside you screen. I agree that nothing is dust proof but some things are designed better than others.

Taking apart your Blackberry may not be a problem for some, but many would do best to not take it apart.

kjohn 12-02-2005 10:27 AM

I noticed the same thing too.. Dust in the middle of the screen covering the area of a penny between the Left and Middle buttons... Now that drives me nuts... Does anyone who what type of screwdriver I would need?

toddm1234 12-02-2005 02:05 PM

how did you open the bb up??? i see the screws, but how much pressure do you need to open the case up?/

eros18 12-02-2005 02:17 PM

With this many people having problems with dust under the screen it looks like there might be a build quality issue. Dust might not bother some people but I get ticked off over having to look at a blurry screen in certain areas. A possible lawsuit like 1st-3rd Gen iPod owners and the battery life ? Just have to wait and see. Though I do have a 8700c I can't actually use it until Christmas. Never make deals with your wife, they turn out badly!

richard371 12-02-2005 02:40 PM

They don't need another lawsuit. It would be a simple fix for them anyway.

Talldog 12-02-2005 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PacketRat
This reminds me of the old iPAQ dust wars.. ahhhh what a battle that was.

A battle, yes...but certainly not the good old days. Dust ruined my experience with the otherwise brilliant Jornada 568. I never wanted to see a return to that stuff.

dr_devious 12-02-2005 03:58 PM

I am have a speck or two under my screen, as well. I only keep it in the holster...