BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   GPS crippled on AT&T 8820? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=90820)

Dude 08-16-2007 12:27 PM

GPS crippled on AT&T 8820?

EXCLUSIVE: AT&T neuters the BlackBerry 8820 in favor of the iPhone | BlackBerry Cool

According to the linked article, AT&T will cripple GPS on the 8820, just like Verizon did on the 8830.

Can anybody confirm?
If true, will unlocking and using on T-Mobile re-enable fully functional GPS?
Any other thoughts?

P.S. I'm posting this in rumours because I don't know how solid this info is, but if confirmed, feel free to move this thread to the 8800 forum.

jeremyckitching 08-16-2007 12:53 PM

Damn, that would suck if it turns out to be true. I was thinking about getting one of these babies. I am preparing a burnt offering to the BlackBerry gods in an effort to allow GPS to fully work in the 8820. Hopefully (doubtful) T-Mobile will come out with it at some point so I won't have to worry about it, and I can keep my lambs alive.

juice901 08-16-2007 02:04 PM

the article doesn't say that they crippled it in the same way Verizon did. What it says is that the GPS will only work with TeleNav, which BBCool refers to as "neutered" GPS functionality. Nonetheless, it's ridiculous.

jungleland 08-16-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juice901 (Post 635607)
the article doesn't say that they crippled it in the same way Verizon did. What it says is that the GPS will only work with TeleNav, which BBCool refers to as "neutered" GPS functionality. Nonetheless, it's ridiculous.

OH WOW!! That would be awful. While I am a telenav subscriber, I also use google maps GPS and beyond411 GPS...

Spamdumpster 08-16-2007 02:36 PM

If this turns out to be true, here's what I'm going to do, and I recommend that everyone else do this too: Go into an AT&T store everyday and purchase a 8820 for full retail, take it home, use it a little bit, and then return it, because of the GPS. The trick will be to make sure that the packaging, etc., is messed up enough so that they can't simply resell it, but not so messed up that they won't take it back.

That'll learn 'em.

WonkotheSane 08-16-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude (Post 635506)
EXCLUSIVE: AT&T neuters the BlackBerry 8820 in favor of the iPhone | BlackBerry Cool

According to the linked article, AT&T will cripple GPS on the 8820, just like Verizon did on the 8830.

Can anybody confirm?
If true, will unlocking and using on T-Mobile re-enable fully functional GPS?
Any other thoughts?

P.S. I'm posting this in rumours because I don't know how solid this info is, but if confirmed, feel free to move this thread to the 8800 forum.

All this to protect Apple?!?!?! Dear AT&T execs: If Apple is putting out an inferior product at a higher price, screw 'em. They deserve to get killed in the marketplace. Try caring more about giving your customers the best product available than how many yachts Steve Jobs owns.

jax80 08-16-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkotheSane (Post 635650)
All this to protect Apple?!?!?! Dear AT&T execs: If Apple is putting out an inferior product at a higher price, screw 'em. They deserve to get killed in the marketplace. Try caring more about giving your customers the best product available than how many yachts Steve Jobs owns.

It's just so impressive what steps companies will take to avoid free market competition.

BlackBerryCoolSimon 08-16-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

All this to protect Apple?!?!?!

That's another question altogether - did Apple prod AT&T into this, or was AT&T doing it of their own volition to protect the idol status of the iPhone?

WonkotheSane 08-16-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBerryCoolSimon (Post 635681)
That's another question altogether - did Apple prod AT&T into this, or was AT&T doing it of their own volition to protect the idol status of the iPhone?

According to the BBCool article, it was to protect the iPhone. They could be wrong, but I don't see how crippling the GPS helps AT&T in any other way.

Dawg 08-16-2007 03:24 PM

wow three threads on this in a matter of 3 hours lol

cdd543 08-16-2007 03:32 PM

Sounds more like an agreement with telenav than anything to do with apple. I don't believe it.

Dude 08-16-2007 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 635702)
wow three threads on this in a matter of 3 hours lol

But wasn't mine first? ;)

Dawg 08-16-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude (Post 635729)
But wasn't mine first? ;)

its all good

Blackberryer 08-16-2007 05:08 PM

I strongly, strongly doubt this was done to "protect" Apple. The iPhone and BlackBerry really aren't competing with each other. The 8820 can't compete with an iPhone - it's a different device offering different strengths.

This sounds like someone covering RIM's or ATT's ass in order to hoist the blame on the iPhone.

Dude 08-16-2007 06:44 PM

there were 3 questions

So we got a lot of responsens to "any other thoughs"

Now how about the first question, can anyone otuside of Blackberry Cool confirm this rumour? (no disresepect implied)

ArgonNJ 08-16-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

No, to make money collecting monthly telnav subscriptions.

Berry O Black 08-16-2007 09:19 PM

Very Lame, Let a 1st Timer Apple Actually change another manufactures phone! I guess the ATT stands for Apple Takes over Telecom. You really have to laugh i know others like T-Mobile are. Like Samsung is going to stop Nokia from putting in a 3 megapixal camera or HTC stops BlackBerry from using WIFI, come on. Who really controls LA Cellular, I Mean AT&T I mean Cingular I mean AT&T err i mean "Apple Tells us To". The IPhone Really has made history..lol

Dark Knight 08-16-2007 09:42 PM

I don't believe this has anything to do with the iPhone. There is a lot of speculation since there's been no quote from either RIM or AT&T. More likely the move was to improve profits with a joint business deal with TelNav. This would be similar to Rogers where TelNav is the number one product Rogers recommends for use with the Blackberry 8800. A portion of the monthly service fee for using the service goes to the carrier and the rest to TelNav. It's a win win situation for both. Anyway, TelNav doesn't supply a crappy service and offers both services for consumers and businesses.

TeleNav Products

Blackberryer 08-16-2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight (Post 635984)
I don't believe this has anything to do with the iPhone. There is a lot of speculation since there's been no quote from either RIM or AT&T. More likely the move was to improve profits with a joint business deal with TelNav. This would be similar to Rogers where TelNav is the number one product Rogers recommends for use with the Blackberry 8800. A portion of the monthly service fee for using the service goes to the carrier and the rest to TelNav. It's a win win situation for both. Anyway, TelNav doesn't supply a crappy service and offers both services for consumers and businesses.

TeleNav Products

Thank you for some sanity. It's incredibly silly to believe this has anything to do with the iPhone. First, the 8820 would not in any way compete with the iPhone. Enterprise users don't buy iPhones, and consumers aren't going to choose the 8820 over Apple's product, it just doesn't have enough bells and whistles. The paranoia exhibited from some corners of the BB crowd over iPhone is pretty funny. As someone who has used BB's and now an iPhone, I find it all pretty ridiculous.

test54 08-16-2007 10:18 PM

yeah, isee this as a rumor and nothing more. when we have some confirmation then i will have an issue with it. and if it did happen it would have nothing to do with Apple, it would be ATT wanting to make money from this service, who knows maybe Telenav might be giving a portion of the fees to ATT for this.