BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Accessing "ultra-secured" Emails Via Bis (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=192861)

Don Henry 06-07-2009 10:12 PM

Accessing "ultra-secured" Emails Via Bis

I hope someone has an idea for this . . I just turned my brother in law into a BB addict. He works for a major pharmaceutical company - he can only access his email from his notebook (VPN and 2 factor authentication) using Lotus Notes 6.5. His company uses Lotus instead of MS Exhange.

He would like to get email on his new Curve - however, his company does not allow it, except for their executive team (I guess they think executives are immune to losing cell phones . . )

In spite of this, he would like to do so anyway. The Blackberry BIS account mail setup program could not automatically find his email address (of course).

I then tried providing the settings manually - it could not find the email server, even though I entered precisely the email server name noted on the Lotus Notes client account information (am guessing the email server is proxied behind something else for security)

I then tried setting a rule in Lotus Notes to forward emails to the outside - their system blocks all message forwarding except to other people in the same domain.

Because it is Lotus Notes, to my knowledge BB Re-director will not work since it only supports Outlook.

Lastly - his company does not have email web access.

If anyone has a creative idea, I would appreciate you sharing it.

TroyDBrown 06-07-2009 10:33 PM

My creative idea is follow company policy. If he needs it have him plead his case to the IT department. Trying to get around the issue will just have him ending up jobless.

dc/dc 06-08-2009 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyDBrown (Post 1401268)
My creative idea is follow company policy. If he needs it have him plead his case to the IT department. Trying to get around the issue will just have him ending up jobless.

I second this.

skyman84 06-08-2009 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1401412)
I second this.

And me!

Is it really worth his job!?

jbairdjr 06-08-2009 02:31 PM

Sounds like they have some serious corporate security concerns (which is understandable), and finding a "workaround" will almost guarantee losing what sounds like a great job.
Dont Do It!

CO_BBTechie 06-08-2009 03:08 PM

I think you're on the wrong forum if you're looking for ideas to circumvent security. There is just too much at stake if any confidential records were ever compromised. We run a tight ship here.

mgerbasio 06-08-2009 03:32 PM

I'm in a similar situation, no longer have access to corporate BES. Tried desktop redirector and forwarding emails, both of which were blocked. Finally decided the best solution was to get a netbook. Not the perfect solution but it actually is pretty handy and now I don't need to carry a notebook most days.

Regards-Michael G.