BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   My Left Convenience Key Is Dead (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=193533)

SmoothOperator 06-13-2009 07:30 AM

My Left Convenience Key Is Dead

This is driving me nuts, guys. My left convenience key is absolutely dead. I go to Options, then Screen/Keyboard and set the Left Side Convenience Key Opens to any application or feature, Save my selection, and the damn button still does not work. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix?

aiharkness 06-13-2009 07:38 AM

Wirelessly posted (8820)

If you press hard, still doesn't work?

SmoothOperator 06-13-2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1405303)
Wirelessly posted (8820)

If you press hard, still doesn't work?

Nothing works. Maybe there is a particular way to press the key? I see three nubs on it.

jonberry 06-13-2009 10:29 AM

I've had volume keys go dead twice but not the convenience keys.

For some reason the buttons on the Bold were not well designed.

ndub33 06-13-2009 10:32 AM

Is it dead regardless of what you set it to open? If you haven't already, try it using different settings for what it is mapped to. If stays dead no matter what the mapping is, it is a hardware issue.

justajason 06-14-2009 01:38 AM

I had that problem. and replaced the midplate.. And the buttons work now.. I believe its the connection from the plate to the mainboard. They get gunked up, and stop working..

joju58 06-14-2009 10:54 AM

it also happens often after replacing bazel or trackball, if you did so, then try to tight screws it might help, if not then disassemble again and reassemble, it worked for me

ruconscious 06-14-2009 12:17 PM

open that bad boy up and make sure everything is tight and in the correct place. i wouldn't stop there. pimp that mug out. new bezel, new track ball, hell new buttons... my bold is gold with a louis vuitton back. one of a kind baby...

SmoothOperator 06-14-2009 10:55 PM

Got the problem figured out. There is a particular way the button must be pressed. For my Bold, I have to press the tob nub and hold it down for a half a second and release it. Pressing the center or lower nub does nothing. Do you guys have to press it the same way?

MidnightDraven 06-15-2009 04:56 AM

nope, i press the whole button with my thumb and it works.
no single nub pressing.
The nubs don't denote anything, like top for one action, bottom for another etc, its just the design of the button.

like the right key, has an indent down it.

Dbloke 06-26-2009 01:19 AM

I have the same issue did you get it fixed if so how

jDMJeRk 09-22-2009 07:49 PM

I notice sometimes my keys will short out when I'm talking on my phone and sweating (at the gym, hiking etc) or even right out of the shower and my hair is still a bit damp.

Normally it'll dry out but this time I think I killed the key... AT&T will replace it at no charge as long as its under warranty (so they just told me) We'll see how that goes... :rolls eyes:

Nick

miamirulz29 09-22-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jDMJeRk (Post 1476229)
I notice sometimes my keys will short out when I'm talking on my phone and sweating (at the gym, hiking etc) or even right out of the shower and my hair is still a bit damp.

Normally it'll dry out but this time I think I killed the key... AT&T will replace it at no charge as long as its under warranty (so they just told me) We'll see how that goes... :rolls eyes:

Nick

Yep, any moisture that the bold is exposed to will ruin buttons.