BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Getting Out of a Contract (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=196371)

ffejie 07-08-2009 05:44 PM

Getting Out of a Contract

Has anyone ever successfully gotten Verizon (or any other carrier) to pay the termination fee of another carrier? I've got a friend with about a $150 termination fee from AT&T looking to jump ship and was wondering if he could get Verizon to knock off a month or two of his Verizon service with a 2 year contract to help offset the cost of the AT&T termination fee. Any ideas?

ezrunner 07-08-2009 05:54 PM

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

They may if he is a business acct!

It is possible perhaps not likely but possible

akosnitzky 07-08-2009 06:13 PM

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Huh????

Horizon Wireless 07-08-2009 06:48 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 11000 Colosol)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffejie
Has anyone ever successfully gotten Verizon (or any other carrier) to pay the termination fee of another carrier? I've got a friend with about a $150 termination fee from AT&T looking to jump ship and was wondering if he could get Verizon to knock off a month or two of his Verizon service with a 2 year contract to help offset the cost of the AT&T termination fee. Any ideas?

I have heard of this happening and as EZ stated usually on business accounts

rambo47 07-08-2009 07:03 PM

The new carrier would have to see huge potential for the account. For an individual, no way.

fonejunkie 07-08-2009 07:53 PM

I am not aware of any carrier offering to pay the ETF for someone to jump to their service. You would have to be a very desirable customer for them to shell out over $100, PLUS subsidize your new equipment...

Now if your ETF is pro-rated and you're down to your last month or so, they may offer a $20-25 credit as an incentive... but even that is extremely rare... these guys are in business to make money, not give it away in credits (can you say AT&T Wireless {the OLD AT&T}?)

akared98 07-08-2009 10:37 PM

I think att has a new rule about getting out of a contract. for each month a person is in a contract i believe they deduct $5 a month off of the termination agreement. your friend should re read the agreement

fonejunkie 07-08-2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akared98 (Post 1423944)
I think att has a new rule about getting out of a contract. for each month a person is in a contract i believe they deduct $5 a month off of the termination agreement. your friend should re read the agreement

AT&T does now do a "pro-rated" ETF, each person's actual ETF will be determined by the rules in place when they signed up. Some ETFs with AT&T are flat $175/line and others are $240 pro-rated over 24 months... and some states have laws that determine maximum charges, etc.

Suggesting that he read his contract/Terms of Service document is excellent advice. However, regardless of what his actuall ETF would be, he would be extremely hard-pressed to find any carrier willing to pay it in order to get him as a customer.

xs11e 07-09-2009 12:33 PM

Short answer: No!

Longer answer: There's no harm in asking.

blue_and_gold 07-10-2009 09:45 AM

You can try i know that if you have an assload of numbers i.e. business 10+phones... but thats 150 each phone so i dont know.

jasonwatson 07-10-2009 08:34 PM

You not likely going to be successful getting out of a cell phone provider contract.