BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Storm 2 Video!! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=198166)

frankiej 07-22-2009 11:32 AM

Storm 2 Video!!

YouTube - BlackBerry Storm 9550 In Action Video

jsconyers 07-22-2009 11:44 AM

I know it's early yet, but I am not really impressed at all.

mkatari 07-22-2009 04:41 PM

Not upgrading

So far it doesn't look worth upgrading from 9530 to 9550.
Thanks for the video !!

SteveO86 07-22-2009 08:14 PM

I want to see some hard proof of Wifi :)

SmoothRunnings 07-23-2009 08:49 AM

Wow finally Rogers is going to be offering the Storm2... So that does mean now that Bell and Telus will be offering the Bold replacement? :)

MidnightDraven 07-23-2009 09:47 AM

If you notice it has no branding.
Just because it says Rogers on the screen, doesnt mean rogers will have, just means that the device is unlocked (was never locked) and the guy showing is using a rogers sim.

SmoothRunnings 07-23-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightdraven (Post 1435509)
If you notice it has no branding.
Just because it says Rogers on the screen, doesnt mean rogers will have, just means that the device is unlocked (was never locked) and the guy showing is using a rogers sim.

1st, the phone has the verizon desktop logo.
2nd, if you look closely there is a signal bar when he turns it on. Unless all CDMA and GRPS phones work on each others network now meaning I can take my Bold from Rogers and put a CDMA SIM in it and use it on the CDMA 3G network the phone would not show any signal strength regardless if it's unlocked and from a CDMA 3G on a GRPS 3G network.

:D

jsconyers 07-23-2009 10:01 AM

1st, you can unlock vendor controlled themes. This doesn't prove anything.
http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/H..._Locked_Themes

2nd, there is no such thing as a CDMA SIM card. And the Storm does work on both GSM and CDMA frequencies, if unlocked.

SmoothRunnings 07-23-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1435526)
1st, you can unlock vendor controlled themes. This doesn't prove anything.

2nd, there is no such thing as a CDMA SIM card.

You know what mean, CDMA network phones don't work on GPRS (or GRPS) networks. Thus the demo phone of the 9550 would have not shown any signal if it had CDMA hardware in it. :o)

jsconyers 07-23-2009 10:11 AM

That is not entirely true. The 8830 runs on international GPRS/GSM networks with a SIM card. The Storm runs on both international and North American GPRS/GSM networks. Notice how you will see 9530 users on AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. The Tour is the same as the Storm 9530.

I would imagine the 9550 would be the same. I haven't seen any specs to confirm this yet.

SmoothRunnings 07-23-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1435538)
That is not entirely true. The 8830 runs on international GPRS/GSM networks with a SIM card. The Storm runs on both international and North American GPRS/GSM networks. Notice how you will see 9530 users on AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. The Tour is the same as the Storm 9530.

I would imagine the 9550 would be the same. I haven't seen any specs to confirm this yet.

Well I have tired the Storm from Bell and Telus here in Toronto on my Rogers SIM is it does not work. I have even tried it with my friends SIM from his Storm in my Bold and no signal.

I think it's up to the carriers to purchase the devices that have the correct hardware inside them otherwise you would have people lining up for miles who were on the Rogers GPRS network at the Bell stores (CDMA) who really wanted a Storm.

Also I know that carriers enter in exclusive contracts with RIM when they carry the devices so I am willing to be one of the clauses are the device works on their network only. I use to work for a software company that was a Telus dealer as well so I got to learn the ins and outs of how they do business with RIM.

MidnightDraven 07-23-2009 10:19 AM

the Storm and the Storm 2 work on both CDMA AND GSM networks...
Also as its a very early test unit, i would assume it was never locked to a network and doesnt have the themes "locked" to begin with.

jsconyers 07-23-2009 10:24 AM

Was the Storm you tried unlocked? If not, then it wouldn't work. Also, the SIM in the Storm is for international use. It is not active unless the user calls the carrier (Bell or Telus in your case) and asks to provision the device for international use. That would explain why it wouldn't work in your Bold.

Normally you would be correct. But seeing how CDMA is typically used in North America and very rarely used in other countries, they've began making them GSM/GPRS capable to support those that travel outside of NA.

As for the exclusivity contracts, yes, they do exist. However, the Storm 9530 is exclusive to Verizon here in the US. However, people have purchased them, had them unlocked and use them on AT&T and T-Mobile.

Take a look here for some more info:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-t-mobile.html

skeevecr 07-24-2009 05:27 AM

Logically there's no point to RIM locking any hardware until its actual shipping product, doing otherwise would just make things more difficult for themselves with regards to all the certification and approval stuff they need to complete before launching a new device.

usblues1965 07-25-2009 10:22 AM

I came across this article today and tought I'd throw it on here. No real new info on the device, especially not that elusive release date. It is kind of an interesting read tho.

enjoy.

New Details Emerge About The Storm 2 AKA BlackBerry 9550 xxx8211; SoftSailor

frankiej 07-28-2009 12:28 PM

YouTube - Blackberry Storm 2 (odin) in action video re-upload

Last video was removed by RIM so here's the re-upload......ENJOY!!!

JODZ 08-01-2009 09:52 AM

So what's really new or different with the Storm 2? Did I miss something? It looks like in the Video he's playing with the same phone?

wickedford82 08-01-2009 10:56 AM

I might be wrong, but from the looks of the video, the Storm 2 has a solid touch screen this time; as for the first one the entire screen moved slightly when pressing it down. And I'm sure the Storm 2 will probably have an updated version with added features.

SteveO86 08-01-2009 03:55 PM

The whole thing is a touch screen yes, no separate keys for phone, menu, back keys.

wickedford82 08-01-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveO86 (Post 1442833)
The whole thing is a touch screen yes, no separate keys for phone, menu, back keys.

I figured they would eventually make the BB Storm a full touch screen device.